Karo Syrup-I did research

Old May 13th 04, 02:55 AM
Nan

Default Karo Syrup-I did research

However, many mothers automatically assume the baby is constipated
when that really isn't the case. Naomi's response addressed this
issue.
Giving a baby corn syrup when it's not needed (whether or not the
botulism risk is valid or not) can be hard on their little digestive
systems.

I'd say first and foremost, parents need to *correctly* determine if
it's true constipation before assuming corn syrup in a bottle is okay.

Nan

On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:57:04 -0500, "Tori M."
wrote:

http://www.vh.org/pediatric/provider...handbook/const
ipation.html
Treatment
1.. Simple constipation in infants treated with lactulose 2.5 to 10 ml/24
hours, divided TID or QID. Add fruit and fruit juices to diet if older than
4 months. Karo syrup (corn syrup) 15-20ml per 8 oz of formula can be
helpful. Previous concerns about the possibility of botulism are unfounded.
A glycerin suppository may stimulate the passage of a stool. Changing to
Carnation Good Start formula may be helpful with constipation.
http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/condi.../aa070501a.htm
A common treatment used by parents is adding Karo syrup or other light or
dark corn syrups to their infant's bottles of formula. While this is often
discouraged because of the theoretical risk of botulism, the AAP reports
that it is safe to do.

http://www.northshoregeneralpediatri...stipation.html In dealing with
constipation, prune juice is a simple, safe and cheap way to go, even for
infants as young as 2-3 weeks. Many parents start with 1 ounce mixed in with
the first formula feed of the day and then titrate up or down depending on
results. If 2-3 ounces of prune juice per day doesn't help or is irritating
to the baby, malt supex may be helpful. This is simply a barley extract in
liquid or powder form, available without prescription for a whopping $40+
for a large bottle. Titrate up or down from 1 tsp in 1-2 bottles per day.
Karo syrup is much cheaper but somewhat controversial and often more
irritating. If a constipated infant or young child is in pain, parents may
administer a pediatric glycerin suppository or use Baby-Lax for immediate
but temporary relief. In older children, a pediatric fleet enema may be
used.

I am adding this one because it has some other sugestions for constipation.

http://www.storknet.com/experts/nutrition/jf1.htm

Old May 13th 04, 02:57 AM
Tori M.

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old May 13th 04, 03:45 AM
Leanne

However, many mothers automatically assume the baby is constipated
when that really isn't the case. Naomi's response addressed this
issue.
Giving a baby corn syrup when it's not needed (whether or not the
botulism risk is valid or not) can be hard on their little digestive
systems.

I'd say first and foremost, parents need to *correctly* determine if
it's true constipation before assuming corn syrup in a bottle is okay.

This is very true, I though my little one might have been constipated until
i did a search on google which told me what he was doing was normal and it
wasn't constipation as his stools were still soft and runny.

People need to correctly determine if it is constipation or not before
stuffing something down their throat.

Leanne.

Old May 13th 04, 03:52 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Tori M. wrote:

But you conveniently skipped the more recent research
which indicates a five-fold increase in infant botulism from
feeding Karo syrup. See my post in ther other thread. You
can also search Medline on the issue:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/

The most prominent article lists the odds ratio for corn
syrup ingestion as 5.2. Karo syrup is not the leading
cause of infant botulism, but it is a very real one.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 13th 04, 04:04 AM
Tori M.

Tori M. wrote:

But you conveniently skipped the more recent research
which indicates a five-fold increase in infant botulism from
feeding Karo syrup. See my post in ther other thread. You
can also search Medline on the issue:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/

The most prominent article lists the odds ratio for corn
syrup ingestion as 5.2. Karo syrup is not the leading
cause of infant botulism, but it is a very real one.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Your right I just clicked on the first few sites that I saw that where not
run by a "product" I did not look for dates or times.

Tori
--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old May 13th 04, 07:57 AM
CrystalRGarcia74

[...]

I know you hate me too but that is okay....thanks for the links anyway.

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old May 13th 04, 06:12 PM
Tori M.

I know you hate me too but that is okay....thanks for the links anyway.
Crystal I do not hate anyone. I strongly dislike some people but fortunatly
I have the attitude that if it is someone that lives far away from me and
that I will *probably* never meet them I barely make a judgement one way or
the other. I have *met* people online that I want to know more about and I
feel close to but other then being annoyed from time to time I can not
really say I dislike anyone online. Have you annoyed me at times? Yes.
Hate you? No.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02