What does a nanny cost?

Old August 2nd 04, 05:10 PM
Danny

Default What does a nanny cost?

I am curious about the cost for a 9 to 5 nanny to watch 1 toddler. How much
for 2, for 3 etc.

I am in NJ.

what do you think?

Thanks

Old August 3rd 04, 01:23 AM
Rob

depends on the experience you're looking for. my wife is a nanny and has
been doing it for 10 years. typically she gets $15+/hr, 2 weeks vacation
(one week her pick, one week the family picks), she is salary, if you take a
day off and dont need her, she gets paid anyway, her families pay partial
health insurance. but youre talking about someone who has a degree in early
childhood education, a decade of experience, and is very creative and
artistic and the children she has nannied for end up far ahead of other
children the same age as far as abilities and intelligence. your nanny will
be part of your family and need to treat her as such in order to make her
feel valued and not just a servant.

Old August 3rd 04, 02:37 AM
CY

It depends on her experience. I am a nanny and I bring my own toddler with
me, so my rates are less than typical. Bear in mind I live in AZ and NJ may
be slightly higher...Typically I make between $8 and $10 an hour for one
child, less if it's a regular "gig" with guaranteed hours. If there's more
kids it's more money - usually at least a dollar per hour more per
additional child. You might consider contacting a nanny agency. There are
LOTS of them in the NJ area (I used to live there).

Additionally you might try an organization called Au Pair in America
(www.aifs.com). You can get a v good nanny (who lives in, though) from
overseas with childcare experience for 45 hours a week, for around $200.
There is an enrollment fee and other program fees, but it's a pretty good
program. I was an au pair on it and it worked out really great for everyone
and ten years later I am still in touch with the family.

HTH.

Good luck,
CY

"How to find a nanny" Mike General 0 May 4th 04 03:36 PM
Chain drive cost verses Belt drive cost? wrestleantares General 0 January 21st 04 06:26 PM
Review: Love Don't Cost a Thing (***) Steve Rhodes General 0 December 9th 03 11:28 PM
sad about nanny Andrea Breastfeeding 13 August 30th 03 06:03 PM
Nanny needs a wonderful family in MA. It's always something General 0 July 9th 03 03:58 PM