any current moms involved with La Leche League?

Old August 27th 05, 03:00 AM
oregonchick

Default any current moms involved with La Leche League?

I am interested in finding a local support group for breastfeeding and
wonder if this program would be a good one. It seems to have a great
reputation.

Betsy

Old August 27th 05, 06:22 AM
Mum of Two

"oregonchick" wrote in message
I am interested in finding a local support group for breastfeeding and
wonder if this program would be a good one. It seems to have a great
reputation.

I am! You won't find me at your group though, as I'm in NZ ;-)
It's the best support and advice I've had for BF - in addition to MKB.
Contrary to popular belief, LLL isn't militant, and it isn't just there 'for
women who have BF problems'. I suggest you go along and familiarise yourself
with the leaders and some of the members during your pregnancy.
LLL doesn't have any political persuasion, and while some of us may be
'crunchy' or 'hippie-ish' the organisation itself is single-cause, and is
there to support Mums of all types - the only thing we need have in common
is that we're breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed, or combi-feeding
depending on the situation.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old August 27th 05, 01:30 PM
Mary W.

oregonchick wrote:

I am interested in finding a local support group for breastfeeding and
wonder if this program would be a good one. It seems to have a great
reputation.

I went to a LLL meeting when I was pregnant. It was great, met
some nice ladies, and most of all got the name of a great
lactation consultant who saved my breastfeeding relationship
with my first daughter.

There may be several groups in your area and you might try
a couple to find out where you mesh best.

Mary W.

Old August 27th 05, 04:01 PM
Chris

I was an active LLL group member when I was nursing my second. I
enjoyed the companionship and advice. However, groups each have their
own "personality" and you should look for one that fits you. I did not
follow or believe all of the LLL dogma, but my group was not
particularly "militant." I've heard of some groups that shun working
mothers, create guilt if you supplement, and so forth. My experience
is that this varies quite a bit from leader to leader, and group to
group. Overall, my experience was wonderful and the environment
supportive.

chris

Old August 28th 05, 04:49 PM
Welches

"oregonchick" wrote in message
I am interested in finding a local support group for breastfeeding and
wonder if this program would be a good one. It seems to have a great
reputation.

Wasn't myself, but know a couple of people who swear by them. Particularly
good support for extended breastfeeding, I'm told.
Debbie

Old August 29th 05, 06:20 PM
Raebo

I've gone a few times already (baby due in a week) so that I got a
chance to meet someone I could call on for help. You can't deny that
they are here to help women nurse and if you have any problems call
them and they will come - all for free and for the best interest of you
and your baby!

The group I've been attending seems fairly diverse so there aren't any
judgements made. Topics stick to the facts about breastfeeding - you'd
be amazed at how these facts differ from most people's general
understanding of breastfeeding and from info provided by an ob! I
think the groups would be particularly useful for a woman who doesn't
have a lot of bf support anywhere else. They will help confirm your
decisions and you'll have a chance to meet ladies with similar bf and
parenting views as yourself and maybe even make new friends.

JMO but I'm glad I'm attending and hope to continue once the little one
arrives.

Old August 29th 05, 07:11 PM
Nikki

oregonchick wrote:
I am interested in finding a local support group for breastfeeding and
wonder if this program would be a good one. It seems to have a great
reputation.

Betsy

I've never been to a meeting. I might go when I have this baby just to meet
some people though :-)

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99