Questions on cloth diapers

Old August 4th 04, 09:03 AM
Maggie

Default Questions on cloth diapers

Donna Metler spake thusly

1) How often do babies grow from one size to the next? The ones I was
looking at are pretty high priced, and I'd hate to have to replace them
every 2-3 months or something. The range of sizes makes me think they
outgrow them pretty fast.

Mother-ease do a One-Size diaper that I quite like using, though it was
a little large for my newborn (7lb6oz) so I used infant sized prefolds
at the beginning. You could start off with prefolds and get a few
fitted diapers and see which you like best and which work best for your
baby. I liked the prefolds so much I bought the next size up, and use
these along with some Mother-ease One Size (I'd probably buy more of
these if they weren't so expensive for me to buy since I'm in NZ), and a
couple of fleecey fitted diapers for nighttime.

2) Are they resizable enough to fit different body shapes of babies with
similar weight?

That's where any diaper than you can pin or 'snappi' or throw in a
wrap/cover (like the prefolds) are so good. You can also get a pretty
good fit from diapers that velcro up. I have a couple of diapers like
that which work really well.

3) How often do you wash them? And, since I assume you don't run a load for
one diaper, how do you keep wet diapers from smelling? Are the diaper pails
really that good?

Once a day wash - probably don't need to, but I like the routine. Still
breastfeeding, so the soiled diapers don't smell of much, but after
flushing away the liner (if it's soiled), I throw the diaper in a
plastic lidded pail, and the cover as well if it's soiled. In the
morning I give any soiled diapers a quick scrub/rinse in cold water
before throwing them in the machine, run a 'heavy duty' warm wash with
baby-friendly detergent. After washing, if it's a fine day, I throw all
the diapers on the line. Otherwise, I just hang out any stained ones ..
even on a cloudy day here the UV gets through and does a great job
getting the stains out! End of the day, throw them all in the dryer to
finish off (it's middle of winter here, so hopefully in the summer I
will be able to skip this step!)

4) Is it sanitary to buy used cloth diapers through ebay? It just seems kind
of yucky to me.

I bought some towelling squares online which worked out so much cheaper
than new. Use them as towels on the changetable, and I've cut up a few
of them to make wipes. Everything else I've bought new, though I still
check ebay occasionally for what's being sold.

5) Will it be reasonable to use cloth diapers when I'm first recovering from
a C-section, or would it make more sense to use disposibles until I'm up and
around better? If so, will the transition cause problems for the baby?

We used disposables for the first couple of weeks - after having a third
degree tear, I wasn't up to much initially and decided to wait until I
felt I could manage. Used the cloth wipes from the beginning, so wasn't
such a big transition for us, and certainly no problem for baby at all.
--
Maggie
Old August 4th 04, 05:02 PM
Mary S.

1) How often do babies grow from one size to the next?

My completely informal poll-by-observation suggests that babies will
grow out of most size small types of diapers into the mediums around the
time they grow out of an infant carseat and move into a rear-facing
convertible. That could be as early as 5 months for a large baby or 12
months for a tiny baby. And that the small size starts fitting at
around 10 pounds, with newborn sizes fitting before then.

Not very helpful, that, eh?

Mary S.

Old August 4th 04, 06:01 PM
H Schinske

Donna ) wrote:

5) Will it be reasonable to use cloth diapers when I'm first recovering from
a C-section, or would it make more sense to use disposibles until I'm up and
around better? If so, will the transition cause problems for the baby?

Lots and lots of people use disposables until the meconium is totally gone and
then switch. Babies have to get used to so many different things anyway in the
first few weeks (wearing clothes *at all* is a huge adjustment for them) that a
new kind of diaper just doesn't even hit the radar in most cases, as far as I
can tell.

The only experience I have with washing diapers for newborns is one time when
my twins were about two or three weeks old and the diaper service screwed up
and didn't pick up the order. My sister, who was staying with us, just threw
the whole bagful in the laundry. I think she put them through twice just in
case, but anyhow they came out beautifully. We never did it again because we
were sharing a coin-op washer with our landlady, and washing diapers in it
regularly was just not on (though I did sometimes throw a few "just wet" ones
in with a regular load if we were getting short of diapers at the end of a
week).

--Helen
Old August 4th 04, 09:30 PM
Iuil

"Donna Metler" wrote
I've been looking at cloth diapers, especially the preshaped ones with
covers and the all-in-ones online, but I have a few questions. I

absolutely
do NOT want anything requiring pins.

Velcro is your friend.

There are NO diaper services here, so
I would have to do all the laundry at home. I will be home full-time until
the baby is at least 9 months old, probably longer (I have a leave of
absense from the school system through next August, so I won't have to
decide on returning to work until next summer sometime).

1) How often do babies grow from one size to the next? The ones I was
looking at are pretty high priced, and I'd hate to have to replace them
every 2-3 months or something. The range of sizes makes me think they
outgrow them pretty fast.

We used TotsBots exclusively in the beginning (www.totsbots.co.uk). They
come in three sizes, size 1 lasted us til 9 months and DD (now 25 months) is
still wearing size 2 at night.

2) Are they resizable enough to fit different body shapes of babies with
similar weight? I know from working child care that some diapers leak
horribly on a tall, thin baby, but not on a shorter, chubbier one (of the
same weight) and vice versa. I'd hate to buy several dozen cloth diapers

at
the prices I've seen online ($12-15 each, new)

The velcro fastening ones are fairly resizeable - you angle the velcro up or
down according to the chubbiness of the leg. My DD is fairly slender and we
passed the nappies on to Jacqui who'd DS is quite a bit chubbier. They
didn't last her as long though.

I found the snap-fastening ones not to be as flexible. Plus, if you use a
2-part system, any leakage has to get past 2 layers - the nappy and the
wrap.
3) How often do you wash them? And, since I assume you don't run a load

for
one diaper, how do you keep wet diapers from smelling? Are the diaper

pails
really that good?

I washed every two-three days - whenever I had a full load. I used a
shampoo spray to rinse into the toilet then stored the nappies in a regular
swing-top bin. I never soaked, to my MIL's horror. If you find that the
smell does get to you, I've read to soak a Q-tip in tea-tree or lavendar oil
and stick it to the top of the lid (inside of course).

4) Is it sanitary to buy used cloth diapers through ebay? It just seems

kind
of yucky to me.

I've bought mainly new with the exception of half a dozen that a RL friend
had to try on her baby. She decided to use eco-friendly disps instead and
passed the nappies on to me. I just ran them through a 60 degree cycle with
a dash of vinegar and tea-tree oil to kill off any nasties.

5) Will it be reasonable to use cloth diapers when I'm first recovering

from
a C-section, or would it make more sense to use disposibles until I'm up

and
around better? If so, will the transition cause problems for the baby?

I used them from the first day home from hospital on day 5. I didn't notice
any ill effects from switching from the P**pers that we had been using.

This just seems like a more natural thing to do, and I can't imagine that
cloth wouldn't be more comfortable on the baby than the papery stuff (I'm
thinking about wearing a maxi pad 24-7 for at least 2 years-not fun), but
I'm not sure of the logistics.

All I can say is to go for it! I've never regretted using cloth but I have
regretted using disps on the rare occasion that we did so - mainly cos DD
always seemed to have some sort of reaction to them.

Jean

WTB: Paying Top Dollar for Kushies Diapers / Kooshies Cuddlers or other cloth diapers Crystal Hall General 2 August 1st 04 12:02 AM
How are disposable diapers supposed to fit (confused cloth diapering Mom)? [email protected] General 7 May 4th 04 05:48 AM
cloth diapers Small Haul Pregnancy 8 March 8th 04 11:47 PM
washing cloth diapers Jen Pregnancy 5 July 24th 03 05:56 PM