What do you think?

Old August 29th 05, 06:15 PM
April & Bump

Default What do you think?

Hi all

I am difficulty in decideding weather to use a moses basket or not. What is
safer from birth, Moses Basket or Cot???? If using a moses basket is it the
same rules as a Cot, feet to feet and on back?? Any feedback appritiated.

Old August 29th 05, 06:38 PM
Ericka Kammerer

April & Bump wrote:
Hi all

I am difficulty in decideding weather to use a moses basket or not. What is
safer from birth, Moses Basket or Cot????

Depends on the basket or cot. If the basket is full of fluffy bedding,
then perhaps it's not as safe as the cot. If the cot has protrusions
or too
widely spaced slats, then maybe the basket is safer. If both are safe and
used appropriately, it shouldn't be a problem to use either. The main issue
is that the basket is portable but of very limited use, while the cot can be
used for longer but is stuck in one place.

If using a moses basket is it the
same rules as a Cot, feet to feet and on back??

...and no fluffy bedding. Yes, the rules are the same.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 29th 05, 06:47 PM
Jamie Clark

April,
I'm not sure that safety really plays into this decision. I mean, when
using a moses basket, you do have to be careful not to place them on top of
any surface so it doesn't fall, and of course, you may not want to chose a
moses basket on the floor if you have rambunctious pets, but overall, in
general, I'd say that a moses basket or a crib/cot should be equally safe.
Sleeping positions are the same -- whether you are using a moses basket,
bassinet, cot, crib, cradle, etc.

For me, the deciding factors in sleeping accommodations for the first few
months were more based on size and capacity. Because we have a two story
house, I chose to have a Pack N Play in our bedroom for the first 6-12
weeks, a crib in the baby's room, and a bassinet downstairs for baby to nap
during the day. With my first, who only catnapped, this was invaluable,
since she only slept for about 20 minutes at a time, 6-8 times a day.
Running up and down the stairs that many times a day would have made me
bonkers, but herhaps it would have made my butt smaller too! : ) My second
has slept a lot longer and better, so the downstairs bassinet wasn't as
useful for as long, but still a good thing!

We chose not to do a moses basket since you really aren't supposed to carry
the baby in it with the handles. It seemed silly to me, since that's what I
thought the point of a moses basket was, and if I shouldn't carry baby in
it, a bassinet would do the same thing, plus be at a higher level and easier
to access.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old August 29th 05, 07:44 PM
Sue

"April & Bump" wrote in message
Hi all

I am difficulty in decideding weather to use a moses basket or not. What

is
safer from birth, Moses Basket or Cot???? If using a moses basket is it

the
same rules as a Cot, feet to feet and on back?? Any feedback appritiated.

I preferred a bassinet at the end of our bed. I used it with all three
children until about 6-8 months.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old August 29th 05, 08:10 PM
Anne Rogers

we love having a moses basket, but if you are going to have a pram that lies
flat it basically serves the same purpose, semi portable sleeping space for
the baby. I'd have struggled if we only had a cot, as initially we wanted
baby in our room, but as both have been noisy sleepers, we've moved them to
various places in the house, this time we have baby in the study where there
isn't room for a cot, but when she's a bit bigger she'll share with her big
brother. It's all a case of working out what you personally need.

Anne