OT RAGE ATTACKS

Old June 15th 05, 09:58 AM
Pop

Default OT RAGE ATTACKS

IS THE INDIVIDUAL "RESPONSIBLE" FOR THEIR BEHAVIOR?

Based on the clinical literature and my clinical experience, it is
clear to me that 'rage attacks' or problems with anger and
aggression are one of the most socially disabling aspects for many
individuals. While some adults have learned to cope with the
problem, their ongoing struggle sends a clear message to those who
will listen: do not assume that the problems you see in the child
will miraculously remit or just go away. We need to take the time
and make the effort to help the child or teen learn to manage this
problem via proactive and constructive means, including cognitive
skills and social skills training, if indicated. Consider this:

If the parent can't or doesn't stop destructive rages that hurt
others or others' property, and if the school can't or doesn't
stop it, then it will be stopped in the courts. But it will be
stopped, because no matter what the reason, assaulting others or
their property is unacceptable in most societies.

That said, there is a difference between holding a child
responsible for their behavior and saying that the child
voluntarily chose to exhibit the behavior. So.... is a child
responsible for such behavior? In my opinion, the answer is
usually "Yes, I do think the child is 'responsible' for their
behavior." But by the same token, we are responsible, too, to give
the child the accommodations, supports, and skills training they
may need.

What do we do, then, if a 'rage attack' destroys property? What do
we do if our child or student is threatening others or shouting
obscenities at them? It is vastly easier to prevent a "rage
attack" than to stop one or to deal with one afterwards, but we
had still better instill in the child a sense that they need to
make restitution or reparations. If they punch a hole in the wall,
then they should either repair it themselves or help the adult
repair it. If they have a "meltdown" and are abusive to their
peers, and they do not say anything or do anything to restore and
repair their relationships with their peers, they will suffer
socially. Children can learn to protect their relationships with
their peers by taking steps to protect their peers from their loss
of control, by letting their peers know that they are trying to
take steps to deal with the problem, and by making reparations
afterwards if they do lose control.

We may not be able to prevent all symptoms at all times, but we
can teach children what it means to be a member of a community.
Yes, I realize that some children and teens are not fully aware of
what they are doing during a "rage attack" and those who are aware
may find it difficult to accept that they did what they did or
said what they said, but to simply pretend it didn't happen isn't
going to help. Once they have regained control and things have
calmed down, they can be helped to establish a dialogue with
others to acknowledge what happen and to begin to repair any
damaged relationships.

Information Section: Conditions
Condition: Rage Attacks
Article: "Rage Attacks" and Personal Responsibility
Source: Leslie E. Packer, PhD
Page 1 of 1

Site Map
Conditions
Education

Behavior
Miscellaneous

Tourette Syndrome "Plus" © Copyright 1998 - 2005 Leslie E. Packer,
PhD. except as noted.
All rights reserved
This page last updated January 7, 2005. Reprint Policy. Privacy
Policy. Contact.

Panic attacks. Jill Pregnancy 34 April 22nd 04 12:13 AM
Help stopping a panic attacks in progress? Jill Pregnancy 13 February 13th 04 01:55 PM
A Plant's Motivation? Kane Spanking 44 October 16th 03 01:51 PM
Panic Attacks caused by going off birth control dbrenz Pregnancy 3 October 1st 03 08:04 PM