A not so pleasant story-but one all parents should read

Old March 20th 06, 08:34 AM posted to alt.child-support

Default A not so pleasant story-but one all parents should read

A not so happy story.....

Just wanted to post a quick message for everyone, and hope that it
might prevent this from happening again with any of your kids. I'll
try to keep it short and sweet.

I volunteer for a site that does sexual abuse prevention and child
safety training. They offer children's books to help train your kids
in the important area's. I have a friend of mine who I offered the
site to and encouraged her to get on it about six months back. She
didn't, and when I asked her about it later, she just said she was
really busy and hadn't got the chance. At the time I said no
problem, I understand, but told her to check it out when she got the
chance.

My sister started babysitting her kids a couple times a week starting
about a month ago, so I told her to make sure she got online and read a
couple of the stories to the kids, because I knew their mom still
hadn't done it. Thankfully she did, and low and behold, in the
middle of one of the books, her youngest discloses that a friend of her
mothers had her "Put his peepee in her mouth and licked her peepee."
(Sorry to be graphic, but I did want to be strong to get the point
across)

The real kicker, from what we can tell, is that this just happened
recently. The events she describes that go with it puts it happening
about 6 or 7 weeks ago. Like nearly every other case of sexual abuse,
if she had been taught what to do earlier, it is more than likely that
the incident never would have occurred in the first place.

This is now the second time something like this has happened. I had a
similar experience with a parent a few years back. I'm just getting
irritated with always picking up the pieces afterwards, when it could
have been prevented beforehand. Anyhow, I just wanted to beg and plead
everyone to please take this threat seriously. The biggest mistake you
can make is to assume you're children are safe. This happened to
good parents both times, they both talked to their kids about the
basics, they both had good rapport with their children, but they left
out important things most parents simply don't know to talk about.
Unless you give your children abuse specific training in ALL area's
of sexual abuse, they could be molested right underneat your nose and
you will probably never know.

I just wanted to post this accross the board in the hopes that it might
stop this from happening to another child. This isn't a sales pitch,
the site listed below is a non-profit site and nearly everything on it
is completely free. I have no stake in it, I'm just someone whose
concerned about the subject and tired of seeing it happen.

I hope everyone here finds it usefull as well. Please, please take a
few moments to check it out, and use the materials with your kids.

http://www.keepyourchildsafe.org

a href="http://www.keepyourchildsafe.org"Child Safety and Sexual
Abuse Prevention/a

Stacy