Panic attacks.

Old April 14th 04, 03:23 PM
Jill

Default Panic attacks.

Grrr. This is awful. I swear, no matter what I vent about in posts, this
problem I am having with panic attacks is NOT mental anxiety or mental fear
or ...mental!

I have had 2 full-blown panic attacks this week alone. It has been pretty
devastating. ... I don't get panic attacks when I am stressed or nervous
even though doctors say that kind of generalized anxiety can set the stage
for them. What I notice is, mine are only associated with breathing and
claustrophobia symptoms. This week both times, I have been startled awake
from a sleep with a panic attack already happening- meaning it's too late to
do breathing exercises and try to get my mind focused elsewhere. I am
getting afraid to go to sleep!

This is what happens and what it feels like. It feels to me like when I
sleep sometimes or when I am half-asleep and kind of out of it, my breathing
stops. Like apnea-- but I have had a sleep study done and they ruled OUT
sleep apnea. I don't snore usually but my husband says I have been snoring,
and loudly, during pregnancy. But I don't know what the chances are of just
having been tested for sleep apnea a year ago and now suddenly being
pregnant and having sleep apnea.

So, I am asleep and next thing I know I jerk awake, gasping for air. I
recognize what this is, and so I immediately start breathing very slow and
controlled- I was taught and have warded off attacks before by breathing in
4 seconds, holding it 4 seconds, and then out 4 seconds. but by the time I
jerk awake my heart is beating really fast and I feel like I can't catch up
on my breath without gasping, sometimes I feel like I am choking, and I am
already trembling. I feel a very STRONG claustrophobic feeling like
everything is tight and in slow motion and the walls are closing in on me. I
talk myself through- I tell myself (1) no one has ever died or had a heart
attack from a panic attack, (2) I have never been harmed by a panic attack
(3)they don't last that long (4)it's going to be ok etc etc etc. And I also
tell myself that I really CAN breathe fine and if I do pass out I will still
breathe.

However...I keep having this happen! It is getting soooo taxing on my nerves
and it does make me so fearful of continuing to have these. My dad
experiences these. I have too since about age 18.

I have identified some ways of helping myself such as avoiding caffeine and
stimulants, avoiding sudafed and if I have to open my nose up only using a
half dose and not many of that in a day...breathing exercises etc, and
also-- to stay on my allergy medications daily, I get nasal and chest
congestion which makes the breathing thing worse. I also avoid things that
choke me up, such as perfumes, certain cleaning chemicals etc.

I have mentione this problem before during pregnancy. In the year before
pregnancy I was doing great-- I finally saw a doctor who put me on the Paxil
and a supply of Klonopin that I could take daily to prevent the attacks or
as needed to abort. I usually chose as-needed, but after the sleep study
they noticed very restless legs, and the reasoning was it would probably
help me more to take a klonopin at bedtime to help that AND prevent the
waking up in a panic. That worked so very well. When I became pregnant I
stopped everytjhing but had a panic attack almost come on a couple of times
and the OBs had me go back on the Paxil, alone. Paxil is not the best for
side effects and I am on the CR form of it, and get headaches if I up my
dose but this is what the midwives want to do. they also told me to do some
yoga moves. And agree to me staying on the allergy medications for
breathing.

I agree with their plan for the most part except for the fact that they
think I am anxious about having a baby which is incresing my panic attcks.
I'm anxious, sure, but being a worrywart does not make a panic attack for
me, believe me, years of experience, I know. I have had lots of stress
and generalized anxiety before, and on NO medications, and NOT had panic
attacks. To me they feel like pure adrenaline when they happen, and
claustrophobia more than anything.

So I am putting in more calls to the doctor (psychiatrist MD) who originally
had me on the Paxil. To ask him for any safe for pregnancy medications or
anything that can abort a panic attack. (Panic attacks are short-lived, my
fullblown ones last about 20-30 minutes at most and sometimes as little as
2-3 minutes- so a medication doesn't work in that short time BUT I have
found that when I really feel like I can't breathe, I will keep on having
increased heart palpitations and trembles for the rest of the day possibly.
I am also calling my primary are doctor- all she has rec'd in the past is to
defer to the OBs but see about increasing the Paxil or taking a
benzodiazapene. OBs nor midwives will agree to any benzos (klonopin, xanax,
etc) no matter how few pills...even though my other dr thought it would be
ok this late if I was only using 1-2 per week only as/if needed. Taking
regularly could affect the baby near labor by making her sleepy or possibly
making her lazy to nurse when she is born. I don't think birth defects or
anything like that is an issue but OBs/midwives don't treat panic attacks
with those type drugs and want "better safe than sorry".

This is just so traumatic for me. My husband doesn't understand since he
doesn't have them but he can SEE that I struggle to breathe without
hyperventilating, that my heart is beating crazy fast, and that I am then
afraid to try to go back to sleep for fear of it happening again. I swear I
feel like I stop breathing in sleep or near-sleep.

I have never found a solution for this. I have seen a therapist who rec'd
some good books including "The Feel Good Handbook". I don't see the psych
anymore simply because I am pregnant and he is an hour and something away in
commuter traffic through downtown, and the OBs renew my Paxil just as he
prescribed. The therapist is in his office and I stopped seeing her for the
same reason especially now it's difficult to go, with swelling and not
feeling like driving due to pain etc.

I don't know why I am posting this? I am just waiting for the dr to call
back with recdommendations and if he pulls the "ask your ob" I am going to
ask him to give them a call and talk it over with them to try to help me
amongst themselves. I am letting my primary care physician know about this
as well although I don't see her while pregnant either, because I trust her
and I want her to know it;s going on because I will be returning to her for
help after I have the baby. She is very good, she just does not wish to
intrude on an OBs expertise with pregnancy medications (although I have to
say my old ones were not very educated on non-gyn medicines). The midwives
are really good with natural remedies. The problem is, allergies are a big
problem for me and they recommend chamomile tea-- which is a ragweed cousin,
and I am allergic to ragweed..chamomile tea won't hurt me but it could very
well cause my allergies to act up?

Anyway I just spent 30 minutes walking around telling myself I'm fine. My
heart rate is back down and of course I can breathe now, while awake, I am
just afraid to try to go back to sleep. It was that way all night....I
recognized that I was having difficulty breathing, or well, FEELING like I
could breathe ok.

Has ANYone found a pregnancy remedy for panic attacks??? I swear...Paxil CR
does NOT do it for me even in higher doses, and I don't feel confident that
Zoloft would either if I changed. I can tell you...I'd rather have a
natural, no pain relief childbirth if someone could promise me that my
breathing would be just fine and no panic would occur. I would rather deal
with almost ANYTHING than a panic attack with heart and breathing symptoms.
I am NOT afraid of labor pain. I am only afraid of anything that might make
my heart speed up and lead to me feeling like I can't breathe.....

Old April 14th 04, 03:59 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Jill, I admit that I know nothing about panic attacks other than what I
learned in a couple of psych courses, but I thought I would offer
something anyway, just in case it might help. What I'm going to offer
is not really related to panic attacks, though, but more related to
avoiding the triggers.

First, I wonder if sleeping position has an effect. Are you lying down
flat? If so, consider propping yourself up with pillows. Try at least
a 45 degree angle. I find that lying down flat tends to stuff up the
nose more and make it harder to breathe. Being on an angle avoids that
problem. It can also stop snoring from occurring. When I'm having
stuffy nose problems, I sleep on the couch, which has one end up against
a wall - I put pillows there and sleep basically sitting up, with the
wall and the back of the couch providing support on two sides of me.
It's the most restful sleep I can possibly have. Gets a little hard on
the butt, but I live with it. ;-) Also, those breathe right strips
really help. They can stop snoring in its tracks, even when lying down
flat. (oh and BTW I think sleep apnea is something that can happen
during pregnancy)

Next thing... Do you have asthma? The tightness of the chest that you
wake up with (causing the feeling of claustrophobia) can also be a
symptom of asthma. You've got allergies, so asthma is a very definite
possibility. Asthma can be treated fairly well with inhalers that won't
affect the baby in any way (although a bronchodilator can increase your
heart rate, which might not be good for you).

Sorry if none of this is helpful.

Old April 14th 04, 05:10 PM
Naomi Rivkis

Jill, my doctor gave me Vistaril for panic during pregnancy. It's very
safe according to my OB, and although it doesn't work quickly (about
half an hour to kick in) it does work for quite some time. You might
ask if it's feasible for you to take one routinely before going to
sleep in order to head them off before they start, if most of them
seem to start when you sleep.

Good luck!

Naomi
Old April 14th 04, 05:42 PM
Tori M.

So you only get panic attacks when you feel either trapped, or when you feel
like you can not breath... Do they happen mostly at night or do they happen
during the day as well? Are you maybe having odd dreams that are scaring
you into a panic attack? I remember having the weirdest dreams at the end
of my pregnancy with Bonnie. I dont know if you are a praying person but if
you are try praying at night to calm yourself. I do this often when I wake
up panicky.

Tori

m...

Old April 14th 04, 06:09 PM
naysando

"Jill" wrote in message

problem I am having with panic attacks...

have you ever had your thyroid checked?
I used to have severe panic attacks (for years) that I left untreated.
then I had my son, and after he was born the dr's discovered that I had an
over active thyroid and that was what was causing the problem.

since you are pregnant, and when you are pregnant your thyroid naturally
increases for your baby, maybe you have an over active thyroid now.

just something to maybe ask of your doctor the next time you see him.

good luck and hang in there, it gets better!

Old April 14th 04, 06:59 PM
Jill

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote

Sorry if none of this is helpful.

It's helpful...I have found already that I cannot sleep flat. I prop up very
well. I also can NEVER ever sleep on my back because I wake up gasping for
air. When I told them this at the sleep clinic, they insisted I sleep on my
back that night and I did. Because of the wires on you they need you either
on your back (preferable) or your side, not stomach like I love to sleep. I
didn't have any awakenings gasping though...I wonder if you have apnea if it
shows worse other nights than some nights? I told them I don't always wake
up gasping on air when I sleep on my back but it has happened several times
that scared me bad enough that I just gave up back sleeping.

I plan to try the breathing strips for snoring-- because I haven't tried
those, and I will try anything. So I'll let you know how those do! It
happened AGAIN -- it happened twice this morning waking up out of breath,
and then it just happened again now- I was propped WAY up, too. So I am not
napping any more today even though I was up all night But if this is
going to keep happening and all they will suggest to me is increase Paxil I
will try that, albeit against my will....I'd rather have headaches than
waking up gasping....

Old April 14th 04, 07:04 PM
Jill

"Naomi Rivkis" wrote in message
Jill, my doctor gave me Vistaril for panic during pregnancy. It's very
safe according to my OB, and although it doesn't work quickly (about
half an hour to kick in) it does work for quite some time.

What is Vistaril? I will have to look this up, I have heard of it, but am
not sure what type of drug it is...

I'll try anything. I have already tried sedating drugs that my OBs allowed
such as phenergan, to see if I could sedate myself and help that way but
they just don't work for that purpose for me...they actually suggested
taking a Darvocet when attack is in progress, saying it might not help the
attack but might make me at ease for a few hours afterward..NO,
no...narcotics usually make me more jittery than relaxed.

I looked it up but am still not sure what it is exactly but I am going to
ask my midwife about it, and my doctor....

Old April 14th 04, 07:07 PM
Abi

"Jill" wrote in message om...
[...]

Hi Jill,

I now what you are feeling - I used to get horrendous panic attacks
and often there is no obvious trigger for them. I tried all sorts of
things, but I can say now that I am 99.99% cured through one thing
alone, namely reading the book `self help for your nerves' by Claire
Weekes. This may sound corny to place a book in such high estimation
- but I can't recommend it enough - it practically saved my life and I
would urge you to at least read it (paperback version comes with 2
cassettes aswell and it's relatively cheap to buy).
Reading this book and listening to the tapes completely sorted me out
and I have never needed to think about taking any herbal or non herbal
meds.
If it works, you will come out of it a much stronger person. Let me
know how it goes - Abi
Old April 14th 04, 07:10 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:23:50 +0000, Jill wrote:

Grrr. This is awful. I swear, no matter what I vent about in posts, this
problem I am having with panic attacks is NOT mental anxiety or mental fear
or ...mental!

(((Jill))) I haven't got much advice for you, but you may want to give the
yoga exercises a try. They are often very focussed on breathing and
controlling your body at a level you normally don't. It may just give you
another handle on controlling or preventing the attacks. Plus it is a good
technique for relaxation during labour.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (21m)

Old April 14th 04, 07:11 PM
Jill

"Tori M." wrote in message
So you only get panic attacks when you feel either trapped, or when you

feel
like you can not breath... Do they happen mostly at night or do they

happen
during the day as well?

My midwife asked me this and also if they happen when I am alone or with
someone. They happen regardless of me being alone or with someone, it just
depends when I have them.

I get them....it;s not a night or day thing but seems to be that they happen
any time I am asleep, drifting off to a deep sleep, or waking up from a deep
sleep...and also sometimes I am just sitting there, awake and up and doing
something, and I start feeling short of breath.

I have complained so many times of this that my doctors in the past checked
different things- they didn't chest-xray for asthma but told me I don't
wheeze or sound TOO tight...they DID send me for a heart check-
echocardiogram and 24 hour monitor. Everything like that is always ok...they
do say my nose passageway is very small and even when clear (not congested)
it looks like it could be a tight squeeze to breathe..that's all, that and
allergies, and they just think it's genetic because my dad has panic
attacks. For my dad is extreme claustrophobia so he has to have Xanax before
xrays and MRIs..he also can't use bronchial inhalers, they trigger it for
him...and he panics in parking decks and small spaces or low ceilings. With
me, I do need Xanax before MRIs if they are far into a tube- the MRI dye
they inject also increases my heart rate which doesn't help. I am OK in
parking decks and elevators etc. I can use albuterol inhaler no
problem....with me it's basically what I have mentioned and a lot that come
with triggers I can't figure out.

I dont know if you are a praying person but if
you are try praying at night to calm yourself. I do this often when I

wake
up panicky.

I pray all the time that they will just go away. Seriously!!