50 Conditions That Mimic "ADHD"

Old September 21st 03, 12:50 AM
Theta

Default 50 Conditions That Mimic "ADHD"

ADHD is diagnosed by "professionals" who form their opinion by
observing a child's behavior. There are no brain scans, blood tests,
or anything else definite that is used during diagnosis. The problem
with this is there are many other problems that have the same symptoms
of ADHD. Many parents, because of not knowing, settle for ADHD as a
diagnosis before looking at everything. For example, any problem
dealing with the fuels of the body: water, food, blood and air can
cause behavior problems. Water, food, blood and air to the body are
just like gas and oil to a car. If you put bad gas or have old or the
wrong oil in your car, it will act up just like a child acts up when
eating foods they are allergic to, drinking or breathing contaminated
water or air or having blood disorders.

There are also many medical, biological, emotional and mental
conditions that mimic ADHD also. For those who are searching for
reasons behind their child's behavior, here are some possibilities.
Only settle for the diagnosis of ADHD after checking out all of these
problems and many more.

http://adhdparentssupportgroup.homes...icingADHD.html

For information on ADD/ADHD, medications, clinical trials and more,
visit http://groups.msn.com/psychbusters/addadhd.msnw

--
Decoding Psychiatric Propaganda
http://groups.msn.com/psychbusters

"If you don't control your mind, someone else will." - John Allston.
Old September 21st 03, 01:21 AM
Eric Bohlman

(Theta) wrote in
om:

ADHD is diagnosed by "professionals" who form their opinion by
observing a child's behavior. There are no brain scans, blood tests,
or anything else definite that is used during diagnosis. The problem
with this is there are many other problems that have the same symptoms
of ADHD. Many parents, because of not knowing, settle for ADHD as a

For *any* medical condition, there are many other problems that have the
same symptoms as it. That's why physicians use differential diagnosis
rather than just jumping on the first thing that matches. That's why the
medical records a physician keeps are expected to show a differential when
he diagnoses a patient with a condition.

If a physician is diagnosing ADHD without ruling out other causes of the
patient's symptoms, he's not following a legally appropriate standard of
care.

diagnosis before looking at everything. For example, any problem
dealing with the fuels of the body: water, food, blood and air can
cause behavior problems. Water, food, blood and air to the body are
just like gas and oil to a car. If you put bad gas or have old or the
wrong oil in your car, it will act up just like a child acts up when
eating foods they are allergic to, drinking or breathing contaminated
water or air or having blood disorders.

But a physician is not required to include in the differential explanations
that have been disproven. There's no evidence that any of the things you
mentioned can cause ADHD-type symptoms.
Old September 21st 03, 01:54 AM
Roger Schlafly

"Theta" wrote
ADHD is diagnosed by "professionals" who form their opinion by
observing a child's behavior. There are no brain scans, blood tests,
or anything else definite that is used during diagnosis. ...

No, they don't even do that. The official guidelines say that the
diagnosis is supposed to based on home and school settings, and
the physician is not likely to make any observations there. He bases
the diagnosis on 2nd-hand or 3rd-hand accounts of that behavior,
as reported by a parent or a teacher.

Old September 21st 03, 02:15 AM
Mark D Morin

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 00:54:20 GMT, "Roger Schlafly"
wrote:

"Theta" wrote
ADHD is diagnosed by "professionals" who form their opinion by
observing a child's behavior. There are no brain scans, blood tests,
or anything else definite that is used during diagnosis. ...

No, they don't even do that. The official guidelines say that the
diagnosis is supposed to based on home and school settings, and
the physician is not likely to make any observations there. He bases
the diagnosis on 2nd-hand or 3rd-hand accounts of that behavior,
as reported by a parent or a teacher.

When I go in for a blood test, the physician does not examine my
blood. S/he relies on the second or third hand summaries from a
technician.

You fool yourself if you imagine what you or others
say about others is their problem, rather than your
problem.

You can trash people all you want, but your trashing
them isn't, in itself, a problem for them.
Linda Gore 08/06/03

http://home.gwi.net/~mdmpsyd/index.htm
Old September 21st 03, 05:09 AM
Roger Schlafly

"Mark D Morin" wrote
No, they don't even do that. The official guidelines say that the
diagnosis is supposed to based on home and school settings, and
the physician is not likely to make any observations there. He bases
the diagnosis on 2nd-hand or 3rd-hand accounts of that behavior,
as reported by a parent or a teacher.

When I go in for a blood test, the physician does not examine my
blood. S/he relies on the second or third hand summaries from a
technician.

Good. The technician is probably well-trained to examine blood,
and uses objective criteria.

Old September 21st 03, 12:24 PM
Mark D Morin

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 04:09:39 GMT, "Roger Schlafly"
wrote:

"Mark D Morin" wrote
No, they don't even do that. The official guidelines say that the
diagnosis is supposed to based on home and school settings, and
the physician is not likely to make any observations there. He bases
the diagnosis on 2nd-hand or 3rd-hand accounts of that behavior,
as reported by a parent or a teacher.

When I go in for a blood test, the physician does not examine my
blood. S/he relies on the second or third hand summaries from a
technician.

Good. The technician is probably well-trained to examine blood,
and uses objective criteria.

no less well trained than teachers and the tests are no more
objective. I take it you've never had the same sample retested with
differing results? I also take it that you have never seen any of the
tests administered to someone suspected of having ADHD.

The "anti" group on any subject can stall it forever
by asking an unlimited number of questions and feeding
an unlimited number of fears. And if we require that
something be absolutely safe and absolutely understood
before we use it, we'll never use anything,
because we'll never have absolute understanding.
David Wright 9/20/03

http://home.gwi.net/~mdmpsyd/index.htm
Old September 21st 03, 02:48 PM
Mark Probert

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
. net...
"Theta" wrote
ADHD is diagnosed by "professionals" who form their opinion by
observing a child's behavior. There are no brain scans, blood tests,
or anything else definite that is used during diagnosis. ...

No, they don't even do that. The official guidelines say that the
diagnosis is supposed to based on home and school settings, and
the physician is not likely to make any observations there. He bases
the diagnosis on 2nd-hand or 3rd-hand accounts of that behavior,
as reported by a parent or a teacher.

You are such an idiot.

First of, there are THREE "official" guidelines:

1. The DSM
2. The diagnostic protocol as published on the AAP website
3. The treatment protocol as published on the AAP website.

One thig is for sure, you sure do have a bad case of Posting Partial Facts
Disorder.

Old September 21st 03, 04:22 PM
Mike Gormez

Don't get fooled folks, 'theta' is a posting Scientology inspired
crap. After he failed to post his BS in alt.religion.scientolgy and
getting away with it he has been on a search for newsgroups where he
and the UFO nut cult (www.xenu.net) aren't that well known.

FYI: Scientology says that there aren't any mental illnesses. It is
all 'spritual'. And they are force to sign such a statement as well.

Recently new Scientology contracts emerged after one of their members
died (lisa.whyaretheydead.net) under their care and they want to
protect themselves better against prosecution. Ask yourself if you
would sign this:

"It is my strongly held religious belief that all mental problems are
spiritual in nature and that there is no such thing as a mentally
incompetent person-- only those suffering from spiritual upset of one
kind or another dramatized by an individual. I reject all psychiatric
labels and intend for this Contract to clearly memorialize my desire
to be helped exclusively through religious, spiritual means and not
through any form of psychiatric treatment, specifically including
involuntary commitment based on so-called lack of competence. Under no
circumstances, at any time, do I wish to be denied my right to care
from members of my religion to the exclusion of psychiatric care or
psychiatric directed care, regardless of what any psychiatrist,
medical person, designated member of the state or family member may
assert supposedly on my behalf."

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.e...n-Release.html

Mike Gormez
--
http://whyaretheydead.net
Old September 21st 03, 08:24 PM
Jeff

"Theta" wrote in message
om...
ADHD is diagnosed by "professionals" who form their opinion by
observing a child's behavior.

From observing a child's behavior, the behavior of other children who are at
the same developmental level, reports from parents and teachers, and often,
evaluation by a child psychologist or other professional. In addition, other
problems that look like ADHD are ruled.\

There are no brain scans, blood tests,
or anything else definite that is used during diagnosis.

There is nothing definite that is used to diagnose Alzhiemer's or
Parkinson's or depression.

There are, however, well established criteria to determine whether or not a
child or adult has ADHD.

The problem
with this is there are many other problems that have the same symptoms
of ADHD. Many parents, because of not knowing, settle for ADHD as a
diagnosis before looking at everything.

No, the criteria specifically state that other causes of behavior that looks
like ADHD have to be ruled otu.

For example, any problem
dealing with the fuels of the body: water, food, blood and air can
cause behavior problems. Water, food, blood and air to the body are
just like gas and oil to a car.

Horrible anlaogy. Food is like gas to a car. Air is like air to a car (both
are used to oxidize the fuel, whether peanut butter and jelly or gasoline).
Water and blood have no analogy with a car.

If you put bad gas or have old or the
wrong oil in your car, it will act up just like a child acts up when
eating foods they are allergic to, drinking or breathing contaminated
water or air or having blood disorders.

Except that there is very little evidence that food alergies or food
reactions cause hyperactivity. Or problems with concentrating.

There are also many medical, biological, emotional and mental
conditions that mimic ADHD also. For those who are searching for
reasons behind their child's behavior, here are some possibilities.
Only settle for the diagnosis of ADHD after checking out all of these
problems and many more.

True. Good doctors always look for other conditions before making a
diagnosis of ADHD.

http://adhdparentssupportgroup.homes...icingADHD.html

Actually, the list is inaccurate. For example, it describe the spinal cord
incorrectly connected to the brain. The is no such thing. Here is a better
list:

http://www.fpnotebook.com/PED69.htm

For information on ADD/ADHD, medications, clinical trials and more,
visit http://groups.msn.com/psychbusters/addadhd.msnw

Actually, I think there are far better sites:

http://www.chadd.org/
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/adhdmenu.cfm

Old September 21st 03, 08:26 PM
Jeff

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
. ..
"Mark D Morin" wrote
No, they don't even do that. The official guidelines say that the
diagnosis is supposed to based on home and school settings, and
the physician is not likely to make any observations there. He bases
the diagnosis on 2nd-hand or 3rd-hand accounts of that behavior,
as reported by a parent or a teacher.

When I go in for a blood test, the physician does not examine my
blood. S/he relies on the second or third hand summaries from a
technician.

Good. The technician is probably well-trained to examine blood,
and uses objective criteria.

So are teachers. And the diagnosis requires impairments from two or more
areas, including school and home.

ADHD motivation technique K C General 4 March 19th 04 12:49 AM
ADHD (was: Q: about kindergarten....) Leah Adezio General (moderated) 10 February 23rd 04 10:11 PM
Next, THE WORLD!... was ... | | Trolling for kids with ADD, ADHD free CD-Rom or Video Kane General 0 January 3rd 04 09:24 PM
Interesting study on ADHD children toto General 0 August 5th 03 10:06 AM
ADHD D. C. Sessions General 61 July 16th 03 07:48 PM