Brazilian actress encourages moms to bf

Old October 9th 03, 01:56 PM
Herself

Default Brazilian actress encourages moms to bf

Interesting article...even better pic :-)

'Tis Herself
Old October 9th 03, 03:10 PM
Dawn Lawson

Herself wrote:
Interesting article...even better pic :-)

Not sure that breastfeeding whilst watching a soap opera counts as
careless breastfeeding.... =8-O

hardly the same as botte propping for the same purpose!

Dawn

Old October 9th 03, 03:39 PM
Belphoebe

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Herself wrote:
Interesting article...even better pic :-)

Not sure that breastfeeding whilst watching a soap opera counts as
careless breastfeeding.... =8-O

hardly the same as botte propping for the same purpose!

I know--what does this guy think? That if you divert your gaze while
nursing that the milk stops? That the soap opera will give your milk
amnesia, and then send it upstairs, not to be seen again until it's a
teenager? :P

Belphoebe

Old October 9th 03, 06:09 PM
Sue theo b

Actually I watched a whole lot of Cubs Baseball, China Beach and Law & Order
during Katie's first months. And she does like baseball now. Go Cubbies! Sue

** remove "spamnot" to reply**
Old October 9th 03, 07:27 PM
Melania

snip

Not sure that breastfeeding whilst watching a soap opera counts as
careless breastfeeding.... =8-O

hardly the same as botte propping for the same purpose!

I know--what does this guy think? That if you divert your gaze while
nursing that the milk stops? That the soap opera will give your milk
amnesia, and then send it upstairs, not to be seen again until it's a
teenager? :P

Belphoebe

Hee hee! I especially don't get this given that Brazilian "soap
operas" - called "novelas" - are actually like mini-series that run
every evening for about 3-6 months and then are over, and almost every
Brazilian who owns a TV (including pediatricians) watches them
religiously.

Not to be down on Brazilian doctors, but I have to admit I'm a bit
skeptical of some of their advice: I lived in Brazil for a year, and
while I was pregnant I returned for a visit. When they weren't
marvelling at the fact that in Canada we don't do monthly ultrasounds,
everyone was asking me how I planned to deliver the baby, so I asked a
Brazilian obstetrician friend why everyone was so curious. "Oh," she
replied, "it's because in Brazil anyone who can afford a private
doctor gets a caesarian." "Everyone???" I asked, dumbfounded. "Well,
over ninety percent," she said, matter-of-factly.

I asked if doctors were the ones pushing the c-sections. She said no,
that most Brazilian women didn't want their (ahem) privates stretched
out by "conventional" childbirth. Besides, my childless obstetrician
friend earnestly assured me, "every woman is scared of the pain of
giving birth." I just laughed and blurted out, "gee, I'm more scared
of major abdominal surgery!" She smiled, but still didn't see any
reason to question caesarian as the "normal" way to have a baby.

Given the Brazilian fixation with keeping - um - everything tight and
youthful, I'm overjoyed to see how much effort is going into education
about the benefits of breastfeeding. Which still doesn't explain the
soap opera comment . . .!

Melania
Old October 9th 03, 08:08 PM
iphigenia

Melania wrote:

Given the Brazilian fixation with keeping - um - everything tight and
youthful, I'm overjoyed to see how much effort is going into education
about the benefits of breastfeeding. Which still doesn't explain the
soap opera comment . . .!

Yeah, elective c-sections among South American women are really popular.
Silly, I think - having a poochy tummy is any more attractive? I've had two
sections, and it's hard to get the abs back in shape - having been incised
no doubt hinders that.

But now I'm finding myself unsurprised that Brazilian waxes are so named : )

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Moms Getting Kids to Read Jill Pregnancy 3 July 16th 04 05:34 PM
Pretty cool: Movie showings just for moms M Wayne Pregnancy 12 April 28th 04 03:12 AM
pushy moms at school Nevermind General 14 April 18th 04 02:31 AM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 06:57 PM
Parenting - moms and dads clive Pregnancy 0 September 16th 03 08:49 PM