Another milestone

Old January 3rd 05, 06:03 PM
animzmirot

"Lesley" wrote in message
ink.net...
Claire Petersky wrote:
Having a very tall son makes the phrase "They grow up too fast" take on

new

meaning. He's only 12, and already he's nearly 5'10"

Wow! Rose just hit 5' 6", and I thought that was tall enough. We are
planning to ride the 200 mile STP this summer, but I am worried that our
tandem (which is for a medium captain, ie, me; and a shorter stoker,
supposedly her) is not going to fit by this summer.

Wow. You must all feed your children miracle grow (or have some tall
genes in your gene pool.)

Lesley, mom to the 11 yo, 4'9", 63 pound girl. Yes, I do feed her.

I was thinking the same thing. I've got one 12 YO who is 5'2 and weighs a
paltry 90 lbs soaking wet. The other 12 YO is 5'3" and weighs 117. One has
been through puberty, the other one won't for years and years and years. :-(

Old January 3rd 05, 06:22 PM
Kevin Karplus

In article , animzmirot wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. I've got one 12 YO who is 5'2 and weighs a
paltry 90 lbs soaking wet. The other 12 YO is 5'3" and weighs 117. One has
been through puberty, the other one won't for years and years and years. :-(

Height and weight at age 12 are not necessarily indicative of adult height.
(Well, people rarely get shorter as teens, but they often grow.)
Height/weight ratios may change dramatically with growth spurts and as
metabolism and exercise patterns change.

I entered high school weighing about 90 lbs and graduated high school at
115 lbs. I didn't reach my full height until grad school (5'11" and
135 lbs). I have continued to put on weight steadily but slowly since
then, and am now 173 lbs. I think I was healthiest when around
155-160 lbs.

Being small and skinny in high school was a social challenge, but,
given my steady weight gain since then, I'm now glad I didn't weigh
any more!

Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
(Senior member, IEEE) (Board of Directors, ISCB starting Jan 2005)
Affiliations for identification only.

Old January 3rd 05, 08:16 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Kevin Karplus wrote:

Being small and skinny in high school was a social challenge, but,
given my steady weight gain since then, I'm now glad I didn't weigh
any more!

While most girls stop any significant growth about a year after they
have their first period, and that's usually well before their senior
year in high school, it is common for boys to keep growing well into
their 20's. I know one of my brothers graduated from hs at around
5'11", but grew 5 more inches in the next two years! (So he wasn't
small and skinny in hs -- but the growth afterwards was interesting!)

Old January 4th 05, 11:03 AM
animzmirot

"dragonlady" wrote in message
In article ,
Kevin Karplus wrote:

Being small and skinny in high school was a social challenge, but,
given my steady weight gain since then, I'm now glad I didn't weigh
any more!

While most girls stop any significant growth about a year after they
have their first period, and that's usually well before their senior
year in high school, it is common for boys to keep growing well into
their 20's. I know one of my brothers graduated from hs at around
5'11", but grew 5 more inches in the next two years! (So he wasn't
small and skinny in hs -- but the growth afterwards was interesting!)

I'm not all that concerned that DD has pretty much stopped growing and is
going to be petite. It's surprising, of course, because her height predictor
at 2 was that she would be 5'7, but I always wondered if there was any
accuracy to that. It doesn't appear that there is. However, both her parents
are fairly tall (me 5'9, father 5'11) so it is somewhat surprising that
she's so petite. Small doesn't run in my family, but her paternal aunt is
the same height and build, so I guess that's where it came from.

DS was predicted to be 6'2, and he's still absolutely positive that's how
tall he's going to be. Because he's so far from puberty (he's just started
losing his baby teeth!), there's no telling what he's going to end up being.
He's always been a very tall kid until fairly recently when he basically
stopped growing for a couple of years. This year he's put on 12 lbs since
Sept, so I have hope that he's going to get somewhat taller (grin) but he's
still the smallest, skinniest kid I know.

Like Kevin, my brother grew a lot later than middle school. His hs grad
height/weight was 6'1 and 130 lbs. That boy was a rail. He's probably 100
lbs heavier now, and an inch taller. So there's hope for DS to reach his
potential height. It's just not going to happen anytime soon, and as he's
already in 9th grade, it's probably not going to happen until he's in
college!

Old January 5th 05, 02:15 AM
Cathy Kearns

"animzmirot" wrote in message

Wow. You must all feed your children miracle grow (or have some tall
genes in your gene pool.)

Lesley, mom to the 11 yo, 4'9", 63 pound girl. Yes, I do feed her.

I was thinking the same thing. I've got one 12 YO who is 5'2 and weighs a
paltry 90 lbs soaking wet. The other 12 YO is 5'3" and weighs 117. One has
been through puberty, the other one won't for years and years and years.

:-(

My 4'5 11 year old entered high school at 4'9", 90 lbs and not quite 14
years old. At 15 she was 5'2, and in the two months since she grew
another 3/4 of an inch. And in our Christmas pictures, with her heels,
she was taller than me. Sniff. After all those years worrying about her
size
I'm finally coming to terms with the idea I will be the smallest in the
family...and it's coming up way too fast.