Formula to Cereal???

Old February 21st 05, 05:26 PM
Em& El's Dad

Default Formula to Cereal???

Hey group....I lurked here during our pregnancy and got lots of good
information. Our Girls were born on November 8 and are now taking about 6-7
ounces of formula per feeding. They have been sleeping good after their 10
p.m. bottle until like 5:30 a.m.

The last 3 or 4 nights they have been waking up at 3 a.m. hungry. My
mother-in-law has been trying to get us to give them some cereal in their
bottle with their last bottle of the night to get them to sleep through
until morning. The only problem is that she has been saying that since we
brought them home. So we have been hesitant to start. All the books are
telling us that cereal can be introduced at 4 months....My girls are 15
weeks today. Well we gave in last night.

Wife and I tried to mix 1 tablespoon of cereal into a 6 ounce bottle of
formula last night but could'nt get the liquid to come out of the bottle. It
was too thick to pass through the nipple. So I took a very small knife and
trimmed the nipple a tiny bit to get it to flow. This worked but a little
too well. The formula came out too quickly. We made sure to just let them
have a little at a time and burp in between to avoid gas. They slept until
6:15 this morning.

We want to continue with the ceral mix but I need to know how to deliver it
to them. Is there some sort of special nipple? (We use Dr. Brown's and I
tried both #1 & #2 nipples) Any advice???

Thanks

Mike & Kristen
Emma Claire
Ella Nicole

Old February 21st 05, 07:41 PM

I would ask your pedi. about this. Mine always said never add cereal
to the bottle because then they will have trouble learning to take it
from the spoon. We've had discussions about this in the past, and it
always seemed to be the concensus that cereal does not significantly
change sleep habits. If it was just a couple of nights that they were
waking, it could be a lot of things besides hunger. Bottles are not
made to dispense formula mixed with cereal, that's why it doesn't come
out the nipple I would try to hold off and start with the cereal
off the spoon at 4 mos. JMO!

Good luck,
Ellen
------------
Erin 6/95
Bradley & Alex 10/00

Old February 22nd 05, 09:33 AM
Jack H.

Viva fui in silvis, dum vixi tacui, mortua duce cano.
"Em& El's Dad" wrote in message
[...]

Never used it.

Mostly old wifes tale.

The kids will sleep well at night when they get enough caloric intake per
day.

There will be some days they need more and some less during the first year.
They grow very fast during the first year.

Thanks

Mike & Kristen
Emma Claire
Ella Nicole

Jack

Abigail & Jonathan
9-10-02

Old February 22nd 05, 06:41 PM
Crystal Dreamer

"Em& El's Dad" wrote:
We want to continue with the ceral mix but I need to know how to deliver

it
to them. Is there some sort of special nipple? (We use Dr. Brown's and I
tried both #1 & #2 nipples) Any advice???

We started our boys on cereal in their bottles at about 3 months. They had
pretty bad reflux, and this did help them keep their feedings down. Nick
outgrew his reflux, but Aaron hasn't.... in fact he even throws up solids.

Dr Brown's has a cereal, y-cut nipple. We have had no problem at all
getting Aaron to eat from a spoon - in fact we can't seem to feed him fast
enough. Nick's not too big on solids yet, but he will eat from a spoon too.

--
-Lisa
Due September 2005

Old February 22nd 05, 07:10 PM
Cindy Senger

We never added cereal to bottles, either, so I can't really help you there. As
another poster said, they sleep through when they get enough caloric intake
through the day. When our girls were that age, they usually ate more at that
last feeding at night than they did during the day. Maybe just give them some
extra in that last bottle. Another thing we did was scrunch up their last
feedings a bit. Like, if they were on a 3 hour schedule during the day, we
would give their last two feedings just 2 hours apart-- like a dinner bottle at
6pm and a bedtime one at 8pm. That helped us some, too. Or, if you want to do
the cereal, just do it from the spoon. If they are 15 weeks they are pretty
darn close to four months. Just give them a "dinner" or "bedtime snack" of
cereal mixed with formula from the spoon. If they are really ready for cereal,
they will do a great job that way, IMO.

HTH.

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)

In article ,
says...