Xanax?

Old February 9th 04, 07:00 PM
New York Jen

Default Xanax?

So I'm making myself totally nuts, as per usual. As I've posted in the
past, I've been suffering with panic attacks pretty frequently during this
pregnancy, having none with my previous pregnancy but having suffered from
them in the past. I am already on Zoloft, which tends to make me totally ok
when I'm NOT pregnant, but even though I've increased it in the last 3
weeks, I'm still having trouble. I have a copy of Hale's and I'll go look
at it as soon as I'm done with this post, just curious if any of you have
taken Xanax (alprazolam) while breastfeeding. That's the drug of choice for
me when I'm having regular panic attacks, but I will not take it while I'm
pregnant. I don't need a quote from Hale's because I have it on the
shelf...I'm looking to see if any of you have actually taken it while
breastfeeding and if so, what were the outcomes.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jen, worrying in advance, stupidly

Old February 9th 04, 07:06 PM
New York Jen

I know, bad form replying to (and top posting) my own post...but after
reading Hale's I should mention that I only ever took a VERY small dose of
Xanax (half of a .25 pill and it was a really horrible attack with no
relief, the other half - which is the lowest dose they have)...AND I'd only
be using it for acute attacks, not at all on a regular basis...

. net...

Old February 9th 04, 07:25 PM
Denise Anderson

[...]

I've taken Xanax while bfing, and like you would be, for emergencies only.
I took it with DD1, she's 5 1/2 and minus the fact she's a bossy cow, she's
fine. Purely anecdotal and not scientific but its all I got if you don't
want Hale's.

Denise

Old February 9th 04, 07:27 PM
New York Jen

I've taken Xanax while bfing, and like you would be, for emergencies only.
I took it with DD1, she's 5 1/2 and minus the fact she's a bossy cow,

she's
fine. Purely anecdotal and not scientific but its all I got if you don't
want Hale's.

Denise

Anecdotal is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

Real life is sometimes more assuring than clinical facts, although I always
make sure I attempt to get both before making any decisions. I was scared
of having PPD with my son, and once he was born we joked that I had "post
partum elation" as I was the happiest I've ever been...go figure.

Thanks again,

Jen

Old February 12th 04, 12:38 AM
Karen

"New York Jen" wrote in message .net...
So I'm making myself totally nuts, as per usual. As I've posted in the
past, I've been suffering with panic attacks pretty frequently during this
pregnancy, having none with my previous pregnancy but having suffered from
them in the past. I am already on Zoloft, which tends to make me totally ok
when I'm NOT pregnant, but even though I've increased it in the last 3
weeks, I'm still having trouble. I have a copy of Hale's and I'll go look
at it as soon as I'm done with this post, just curious if any of you have
taken Xanax (alprazolam) while breastfeeding.

Yup. I have. Anywhere from .25mg-.5mg. At the height of my anxiety and
I was taking it once daily Ben was a bit more fussy at night and at
the inital use was a little sleepy but other than that he's been fine.
BTW, he is an exclusively breastfeeding 14lb 4 1/2 month old. I am now
taking Lexapro (a GODSEND) and have only taken one Xanax in the last
three weeks. Again, Ben is showing NO side effects and he has his mom
back.
I also talked to my pede about it. She said that prn use at that dose
was fine. At worst he would have a little withdrawal when I stopped
taking it.

Jen, worrying in advance, stupidly

No you are not being stupid by figuring this out now. You are arming
yourself with information that you will hopefully not need but if you
do find yourself having problems at least you will already have the
info you need and not add to your anxiety at that time.

Hale isn't thrilled with any of the benzos but pretty much said the
same thing as my pede. Acute prn use is OK-chronic long term use is
not recommended.

Karen
Old February 12th 04, 12:42 AM
New York Jen