WA: Biotech Founder Pleads Guilty To Non Payment Of Child Support

Old January 30th 06, 04:59 PM posted to alt.child-support

Default WA: Biotech Founder Pleads Guilty To Non Payment Of Child Support

http://www.kirotv.com/news/6533311/detail.html

Biotech Founder Pleads Guilty To Non Payment Of Child Support

January 28, 2006

SEATTLE -- A man considered one of the founders of Seattle's biotech
industry has pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor charge of failing to pay
child support.

Robert Nowinski was the founder of four publicly traded biotech companies:
Genetic Systems, which worked to develop antibodies for use in cancer
treatment; Icos; PathoGenesis; and VaxGen. He also helped found another
biotech company, Primal.

According to federal prosecutors, Nowinski is about 125-thousand dollars
behind on child-support payments for his three children. His attorney says
Nowinski is unemployed and was wiped out after a 2002 bankruptcy.

Nowinski entered his plea Friday. He faces as much as six months in jail
when he is sentenced April third.

Lemme get this straight... The offence is a misdemeanor, yet the Feds are
involved?? Huh? I know, I know, nonpayment of C$ is now a Federal offence,
but still, it's bloody ridiculous.

And so, because this guy filed for bankruptcy, lost his job and has no
money, he gets sent to jail for failing to pay a debt. Now there's
democracy in action for ya - broke? Don't worry, here's your jail cell. Be
happy.

And this is all done in the "best interest" of our children. Yup, makes
perfect sense to me. NOT!

It's "news" like this that just makes me wanna bang my head against the wall
in disgust at the level of stupidity to which our nation has fallen to.
sigh

Old January 31st 06, 01:33 AM posted to alt.child-support

"Dusty" wrote in

According to federal prosecutors, Nowinski is about 125-thousand dollars
behind on child-support payments for his three children.

Wow, I feel privledged to be up there with a Biotech Founder, and I owe
$52,000!
Wonder If I'll get just 3 months seeing as it's only $50,000? LOL

Old February 2nd 06, 12:53 AM posted to alt.child-support

When I posted about this guy before, many were sure he was innocent.

Why is he pleading guilty then?

If it is so unjust why not fight?

Old February 2nd 06, 03:49 AM posted to alt.child-support

"LLL" wrote in

Why is he pleading guilty then?

If it is so unjust why not fight?

It's not a matter of guilt, the state already assumes you are guilty!
It's a matter of working out a deal, so they can have a clean case as the
DA's put it.

Old February 2nd 06, 05:10 AM posted to alt.child-support

Default Biotech Founder Pleads Guilty To Non Payment (DB or Dumb*******)

You owe that much and you are sitting on your fat, lazy ass posting on
the net? And you have the ****ing audacity to laugh about it? Hope your
kids grow up, find you, and beat the livin' **** out of your sorry ass.
Bill

Old February 2nd 06, 06:13 AM posted to alt.child-support

"William Barger" wrote in message
You owe that much and you are sitting on your fat, lazy ass posting on
the net? And you have the ****ing audacity to laugh about it? Hope your
kids grow up, find you, and beat the livin' **** out of your sorry ass.
Bill

Geesh, Bill! Do you have any idea of what DB's story is? Perhaps you
should find out the facts before you condemn!

Old February 2nd 06, 06:25 AM posted to alt.child-support

"William Barger" wrote in message
You owe that much and you are sitting on your fat, lazy ass posting on
the net? And you have the ****ing audacity to laugh about it? Hope your
kids grow up, find you, and beat the livin' **** out of your sorry ass.
Bill

Bill, I thought you left forever, never to come back?

Old February 2nd 06, 02:22 PM posted to alt.child-support

"LLL" wrote in message
ups.com...
When I posted about this guy before, many were sure he was innocent.

Why is he pleading guilty then?

If it is so unjust why not fight?

It is often the case that it will be far cheaper to plead to a lesser charge
than fight the system. Prosecutors know this as well.

Example, for a minor misdemeanor that would result in a $3-400 fine, as
opposed to racking up a few thousand in attorneys fees, it becomes a no
brainer for most people. Same thing goes for bigger cases.

Old February 3rd 06, 06:42 AM posted to alt.child-support

"William Barger" wrote in

You owe that much and you are sitting on your fat, lazy ass posting on
the net? And you have the ****ing audacity to laugh about it? Hope your
kids grow up, find you, and beat the livin' **** out of your sorry ass.

LOL, If I ever meet her one day, I'm sure she'll come out swinging! ;-)

The real Joke is this guy made millions and only owes $125,000!
I've made maybe $45,000 in the past 3 years and they expect me to pay
$52000?

I'm all for helping out the kids, but not at these CS rates!!!!!!!!!!!