How to prepare for your first child delivery. Please suggest in Indian context.

Old September 28th 06, 11:31 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
IndianFather

Default How to prepare for your first child delivery. Please suggest in Indian context.

web Link: http://sanjeevb007.googlepages.com/ForWudBeParents.pdf
======
Version: 0.0.0.9.1 Date : 09/08/2006
Author: Ur Best Wisher
=========
Things one should possibly know before your new child is Born
(Note: Following list is in no particular order, you are free to ignore
any suggestion given below. Use
your common sense in case case of conflicting advices. You are master
of your Life. Most of it holds
good in Indian context only. Author is not a medical expert, only a
proud father of two sweet kids.
Best of Luck.)
For baby:
1. Zero size comfortable dress for new born:
-Don't buy new, either take it from friend(used once) or stitch it at
home
using old cotton material/cloths.
-Look for comfort and warmth in case of new dress buying off the shelf.
-small frock, baniyan, triangular nappy, baby cap, hand and feet socks
etc.
2. Zero size diapers, very handy in the beginning. Buy a big pack.
3. Quality ear buds for Cord cleaning , cotton balls, ...
4. Baby soap, baby shampoo, moisturizer,powder, baby oil, ...
5. Receiving blanket, plastic sheets, soft towel, 3 X 3 feet sheets,
6. Baby plastic kit like tumbler, tub, soap box, comfortable stool, a
bucket etc.
7. Baby's walker ( for new born baby's it should be flat or adjustable)
8. Either wet tissues or lot of small pieces of old cloth ( Disposable)
9. Comfortable bed ( at least king size ) for mother and baby.
10. Soft pillows and cushions to help in feeding.
11. Dedicated Dust bin with cover next to mothers bed.
12. Some old news papers should be kept at handy location next to bed.
13. Emergency tube light in the room.
14. Room should have clean curtains, bedsheets and door mat. Room can
be made
airtight in case of sudden weather change. Plug any hole or vent in
windows or
doors. This just to cut off unwanted air breeze.
15. Hot water should be available on demand, repair geyser or keep at
least a
Jug/mug of hot water for quick cleaning.
16. Wash hand every time you are about to handle your baby, if you have
come from
outside.
17. Avoid close contact with other babies with running cough & cold.
(at least in
first month)
18. Avoid cheap toys with harsh noise/sound. All toys should have
smooth curves, no
edges and make low soothing sound.
19. Always wash new cloths before you use it first time on your baby.
For Mother:
1. Sanitary napkins large size.
2. Cotton Bundle ( 2 to 3 big size, you can take it from hospital)
3. Breast pads, Nipple cream ...
4. Dry fruits preparations, Luke warm pre-boiled water to drink, ..
5. Warm clothings, shawl to cover ,..
6. Extra dry panties, gowns , feeding bras, socks etc.
7. Small polythene bags to dispose.
8. Avoid unwanted visitors during first week, don't bring everybody
directly to
mother room.
9 Discuss pain management (read Epidural etc) with your doctor during
last month.
It is discouraged in India but it is very good for mother.
10.During last two weeks moderate physical activity like walking and
shopping in
malls (you love it right !!) helps bring baby's head settle in pelvis
This avoids
last minute turning or C-section.
11. Eat small meals many times a day as per your liking. If you are
Vegetarian look
for right substitute for meat and egg. Milk, curd and fresh salad helps
a lot.
12. Beast feed is best feed during first year, don't get carried away
with catchy
advertisements in new born baby magazines. Use them only as supplements
not as
replacement for mothers milk.
13. Mother should avoid foods which cause acidity or Gas while breast
feeding. Some
time your baby is paying the price for what you eat. Old remedies like
Muglee
Ghutte 555 or Gripe water still holds good for soothing baby.
14. Train your elder kid psychologically to accept new arrival in the
family. Don't
neglect or at least don't show it explicitly. If prepared well your
elder one will
be great help in raising the new one.
For Fathers:
1. Digital Camera, Handy cam, battery, tapes, CF card etc.
2. Keep Emergency phone no.s ready : Gynecologist, Hospital, Ambulance
3. Keep Cell phone charged and prepaid card filled.
4. Keep car with Gas full, service done. Keep a tissue box in the car.
Keep
emergency cash in the car. Keep some biscuits, etc for nth hour.
5. Remove jewelery before going to hospital on delivery day. Know your
partners
blood group and any specific allergies, history etc.
6. Pl keep medical records of your wife with you before admitting.
7. Must visit hospital one or two week before, check rooms and talk to
the admin
staff there.
8. Gents are not allowed inside labor room, make sure some lady
relative with whom
your wife feels comfortable is next to her while delivering child.
Discuss this
with your doctor.
9. Discuss openly with your doctor till when you can have sexual
relationship and
also when to start. Keep your partner happy to make sure her comfort
factors.
10. Don't be to eager to tell( read call) entire world immediately,
tell only to
the required people. Idea is to gather as much crowd around you as your
wife and
you Can handle. For you your new born child, existing child and your
wife should be
priority. Tell your friends not to pass the information themselves to
everybody so
that you are not flooded with visitors. We Indians are worst in our
timings and
stupid questions we ask.
11. Find out about hospital canteen and see what all they provide
there.
12. Carry simple vessels to boil milk, tea etc. Some glasses, plates
etc. Keep them
in car and bring out on demand.
13. Make separate bags for baby and mother before going to hospital.
14. Take leave from work at least for first four days. Keep your Boss
and HR
informed.
15. Microwave is very useful for quickly warming things say a cup of
warm water for
wiping your new born baby.
16. Don't send your wife to her mother's place and think your duty is
over. She
needs you most at this important time. Call your in-laws to your place
instead,
don't leave her. (very subjective, this is only Author's view, kindly
ignore in
case of conflict)
When to call your doctor or go to Hospital.
1. Ask your doctor about this.
2. At least one long pain every 10 minutes.
3. Water breaks down or bleeding occurs.
4. Don't panic, you will have at least 2 hours before baby will be
delivered.
Control your emotions, be next to your wife.
5. Hold her hand tight during contractions.
6. If you reach several hours early to hospital, try walking in the
corridors in
between contractions , discuss light things and take it easy.