baby sleeping problems

Old May 15th 04, 07:20 PM
Jamie Clark

Default baby sleeping problems

Angela,
Everything you are dealing with is completely normal. Really. Some babies
cry a lot. Some babies sleep a lot. Some do neither, and some do both.
Newborns generally don't eat much, and wake every few hours. Newborns do
tend to settle down around the 6 week mark, but even then, some don't. And,
even after "settling down," it's still completely normal to only go 4 hours
at a stretch. Normal, normal, normal. Your baby is only a week old, I
think you are experiencing all the normal new parents sleep deprivation
stuff. To expect any more of a pattern isn't very realistic, in my opinion.
In the next few months, your baby will learn to organize his sleep better,
and will eventually stay awake longer during the day, and sleep longer at
night.

I know during those first few months, dh would take night duty completely on
his own for 2 nights -- often on the weekends, since he didn't need to be up
for work. On many of those nights, I'd sleep in the guest room, so I was
less likely to hear the baby cry at all. I found that if I could get 2
fairly good nights sleep, I could handle the other 5 nights full of
interruptions and wake ups.

Hugs and good luck!
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest, Password:
Guest
Password

Handmade Baby Blankets -- www.geocities.com/digit_the_cat/Blankets.html

Old May 15th 04, 10:50 PM
Angela Schepers

This doesn't sound like too bad an idea.. when DH goes back to work
we'll give it a shot and see how it works. Thanks for the help.

Old May 16th 04, 01:40 PM
Angela Schepers

Progress, woohoo! Quinn managed to sleep at 3 hour stretches from one
feeding to the next over last night. Of course it may only be temporary
or a one night deal but boy oh boy the little extra sleep we got felt
pretty good.

Old June 14th 04, 12:08 AM
Carla

Default baby sleeping problems: FAO Jamie Clark

On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:20:47 GMT, "Jamie Clark"
wrote:
I know during those first few months, dh would take night duty completely on
his own for 2 nights -- often on the weekends, since he didn't need to be up
for work. On many of those nights, I'd sleep in the guest room, so I was
less likely to hear the baby cry at all. I found that if I could get 2
fairly good nights sleep, I could handle the other 5 nights full of
interruptions and wake ups.

I know this post was from a couple of weeks ago but I just wanted to
let you (and anyone else that hasn't tried it or something like it)
know that this is what my husband and I are doing and it's working out
really well. It is truly amazing how much 2 good nights of sleep can
make! The only thing is that I have to pump like crazy between
nursing during the week so he has enough to feed Victor on the
weekends but it's WORTH IT!

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Carla
Mom to Victor Paul born 5.16.04
www.victorpictures.com --See him here!
Old June 14th 04, 12:28 PM
Hillary Israeli

*
*I know this post was from a couple of weeks ago but I just wanted to
*let you (and anyone else that hasn't tried it or something like it)
*know that this is what my husband and I are doing and it's working out
*really well. It is truly amazing how much 2 good nights of sleep can
*make! The only thing is that I have to pump like crazy between
*nursing during the week so he has enough to feed Victor on the
*weekends but it's WORTH IT!

This isn't going to work for all BFing moms. Just so you know . Whenever
I tried to skip a feed during those early weeks, at night (same way, with
DH giving pumped milk), I would get mastitis.