A sad good bye.

Old December 12th 03, 10:59 PM
Nina

Default A sad good bye ((Thanks))

"Jacqui" wrote in message
. 7...
Nina wibbled

I'm on my 3rd baby. I can do most anything while nursing, I cant
get dressed or comb my hair, but thats about it. I can cook,write,
use the phone, play barbies, put tapes in the VCR, use the
internet etc.

This intrigues me. I can write, eat, use the phone, read, touchtype
(NAK hands-free is great), watch TV, spend all day on the net - but I
cannot nurse and walk so a lot of activities seem rather impossible to
me.

I was just nursing and vacuuming,and I've nursed and shopped in WalMart a
few times,

Even just standing to nurse is still beyond me (a combination of
bad back, G-H (UK-US) cup breasts that make it rather impractical to
get T close enough to me, and the fact that T now likes to wriggle and
look around while feeding). I'm in awe of anyone who walks around doing
it...

I guess smaller breasts help, its easy for me to walk, but not type

Old December 13th 03, 12:00 AM
Michelle Podnar

Default A sad good bye.

I think that she just wanted someone else to tell her to quit. I don't
think that she really wanted the help. A lot of us have gone through 6
weeks of hell (I know I did), with painful latches, round the clock nursing
etc...., but I was always told to get to at least 6 weeks before I make a
decision to BF or not to, because it takes that long to get it to a point
where it is mutually enjoyable for both. I am glad that I did stick it out,
and I am still nursing my 17 mos DD now (which I never imagined I would be).

It is hard when you pour all kinds of thought into advice and it is just
brushed off, and not even utilized, and now we are the bad ones because we
are so pro BF??

--
Michelle P
Ava Marie July 14, 2002
"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I want to stop.

*ouch*

I assumed you came to this newsgroup because you wanted to breastfeed, I
thought and tried to offer advice, I also try to think about other peoples
feelings, you didn't have to reply to my post, instead you post a one
sentence brush off reply that I found hurtful and for some reason really
upset me. I don't know why I bother.

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I read this entire thread before I went to work this morning, now I've

had
the whole car journey to muse over it and think of my comments.

First of all, stop taking the meds to dry you up, seems like they

either
won't work when you stop them, or there is a high risk of bad side
effects.

This would leave you free to mixed feed, which from the point of view

of
ease and convienience is the best of both worlds, it's not without
problems, but if you can feed him at nap time, bed time, breakfast etc

and
give him a bottle other times, you save some money and some faff of

making
bottles.

Finally, whilst all our responses indicate it's best to let him

unlatch
himself, when other needs are greater, switching sides and burping in
between sides whenever sucking stops for a short time can make the

feed
much quicker.

Oh and, definitely get checked out for PPD, ask yourself, does the

normal
you behave like this? Formula feeding might be just delaying the
inevitable. I know at the start of my PPD there were a couple of

events
that delayed it's really obvious onset for a couple of weeks, but in

the
end it was inevitable.

Anne

-----------
Anne Rogers

Old December 13th 03, 12:16 AM
Bruce and Jeanne

K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:

no I'm not getting this formula free but 10 bucks a month is a far cry from
200 for daycare. When I said subsidy I should have said we don't qualify for
government subsidy for child care, we make about $200 or something too much
and that puts us just above the marker.

$10 a month for formula???!! It's $11.99 for a small can of powder
formula.

Jeanne
Old December 13th 03, 12:23 AM
Bruce and Jeanne

K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:

Not every one is a natural, I didnt BF my first so im not a bf'ing guru.

Trust me, I was definitely no natural bf guru. With my first, I was
like you, crying, DH would come home to a crying mess (that would be
me), a little crying mess (that would be DD) and a messy house. It was
pretty awful. At 4 weeks? We were still going downhill - DH had bought
the formula and bottles. We were set to bottlefeed. The only thing that
stop us was 1) my pride - I just couldn't be the only one in my and
Bruce's family to formula feed; and 2) my cheapness - we choked when we
saw how much a can of powdered formula cost and the number of servings.
So I went on with this horrible breastfeeding thing.

With number two, it was *slightly* easier only because I knew things
would be hard for the first 8-12 weeks.

But as everyone says, the husband has to pull together if the mother
falls apart. Yes, it *IS* his responsibility, just like it would be
*your* responsibility to pull the family together if he fell ill. Same
thing.

In any case, good luck with your baby. I hope things go well for you.

Jeanne
Old December 13th 03, 04:01 AM
Naomi Pardue

Exactly...
and yet you were taking pills specifically to dry you up? Makes no
sense.

My understanding (and I could be wrong here) is that she decided to wean cold
turkey, so wanted 'dry-up pills' so she wouldn't get engorged. Of course, as we
all know, gradual weaning, if weaning is desired/necessary, rarely results in
signficant engorgement or the need for 'dry-up pills' or any other special
measures.

*nods*
Because you're taking pills to dry you up. You take something to dry
your milk supply...your daughter responds by nursing constantly to try
to build your milk supply up...and you quit because nursing is taking
too much time and your supply is going away?

My understanding, again, was that she started the pills AFTER having made the
decision to wean. Not that she'd been taking the pills for a while, and was
then baffled by the failure of her supply/baby's increased demands.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old December 13th 03, 04:05 AM
Naomi Pardue

I am not stressed now that I have stopped bf'ing

I was just defending my Wonderful Amazing husband that supports any decision
I make.

He pretty obviously WASN'T supporting your decision to breastfeed, or he
wouldn't have been so upset about coming home to a messy house/frazzled wife.
(Which are part and parcel of new parenthood in general, but probably also more
common in the early weeks of breastfeeding.)

Old December 13th 03, 05:10 AM
Plissken

"badgirl" wrote in message

snip glass titties

Hee, hee. I must be in a weird mood tonight but I got a giggle out of this!

Nadene

Old December 13th 03, 09:55 AM
KC

"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" wrote in message news:8RmCb.674019$6C4.143001@pd7tw1no...
I want to stop breast feeding.

I've read alot of your posts and I can see with the palate problem
your ds has that gives you pain and with him constantly wanting to be
latched on how difficult it is and how it is so tempting to give in
and get some relief by giving some formula.

But, in light of how hard you already tried to give your ds the best I
can't understand why you wouldn't want to still bf (or pump) some when
it is so good for your baby even if you don't like it. It wouldn't be
as hard as it has been for youif you supplemented some, and it would
keep your baby getting some of the good stuff that he would benefit
from. I mean you already worked so hard to do the best for him, why
stop cold turkey at this point?

With my first dd who is 4 now I threw in the bf towel at 4 weeks too.
I switched to pumping though to continue giving her the benefits of
bm. She was on the breast constantly and still had low diaper counts
if I didn't give her formula too. I had to go back to work, and with
the way bf was going for us I decided to just pump. I regretted it.
She lost the ability to nurse, so that was it. I later really wished
she would nurse again, but it was too late. I still regret that I
gave up at 4 weeks.

I am not trying to make you feel guilty. I am just doing what I think
is the right thing to do for your ds, and that is convince you to give
him bm. As the saying goes breast milk is best.

KC
Old December 13th 03, 11:13 AM
Clisby

Michelle Podnar wrote:
Then say goodbye, leave it at that and go find a formula feeding support
group. Breastfeeding was not the cause of your problems, it is just your
scapegoat. Who has a baby #2, and doesn't expect their house to be upside
down for a while ....it has only been 4 WEEKS!!

Here, it has only been 22 months!

Clisby
(motto: If you think the house is messy, honey, the broom's in the closet.)

Old December 13th 03, 01:13 PM
Stephanie and Tim

"Nina" wrote in message
.. .

"Stephanie and Tim" wrote in message

"Nina" wrote in message
.. .

"Stephanie and Tim" wrote
Hey, I am camping on here... but this has been on my mind. What DO

you
do
when you nurse? I can nurse DD in the sling, but not hands free. It

really
does not allow me to do much with DS but read.

I'm on my 3rd baby. I can do most anything while nursing, I cant get

dressed
or comb my hair, but thats about it. I can cook,write, use the phone,

play
barbies, put tapes in the VCR, use the internet etc.

How? I do not cook because I am afraid to burn her with steam. If I walk
around with her, I need both hands to hold her. With the sling, I only

need
one hand to hold her, but I am not all that agile either.

I can nurse her while walking and use only one arm, just a matter of
learning how and becoming comfortable. I can hold her either over the
shoulder, football hold, or cradle hold using one arm.
I dont do major cooking while holding her, maybe some stirring and

adjusting
of the heat. I hold her on one side away from the stove and use the arm on
the other side. With a sling you should have both hands free, you have to
trust that the sling will hold her though or you will always use one hand

"help".

Really, the only time I did housework was when he was
napping. Some of the things I can do are
- read
- do crafts to some limited extent. He prefers that Mom or Dad paint

or
draw
the things he likes to see. He is not that interested in crafts that

he
wants to do them himself.
Time to learn.

Time to learn what? I think I am missing something. Time for him to

learn
like crafts? Or time for me to learn to nurse and do other things at the
same time. I keep trying. I have no real urge to stop nursing.

Time for him to learn that he has to do things by himself. Time to learn
that you cant be there for him like before. This isnt a BAD thing, its a
good thing. Time for him to be able to draw and paint and color on his own
then proudly show you what he did.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I am not interested in sticking her in her room

and
telling her to raise herself. I guess I just need more practice meeting
everyone's needs at the same time. And I wondered if there were ways to

give
the attention to her without actually holding her. Right now the

undivided
attention that DS gets is limited to when Dad is home to attend DD. The

key
is to always use this time wisely, I think and not squander it.

Hey, they might not get undivided attention. When you have more than one,
thats how it goes. I have 3 kids, they share my attention. I nurse the

baby
and talk to the older ones, they assist me w/diaper changes etc. The baby
isnt gettign undivided attention either because Im bouncing her, talking

the others, helping w/homework, giving orders, etc etc.

Thanks. I will practice the nursing on the move thing.