Ten month seperation anxiety?

Old May 17th 04, 09:33 PM
Sarah

Default Ten month seperation anxiety?

Our ten month old daughter has for the past four nights been unwilling to
settle back in her bed (she normally wakes 2 to 3 times and after a quick
feed settles back happily). She'll fall asleep in my arms but the moment I
lay her down she screams. If my husband tries to hold her she screams and
calls out for me (she used to be happy to be settled by him). She's also
become much more clingy during the day - wanting to be held alot more than
normal. So in the end I've unrolled the sofa bed in her room and the moment
I lay her down to sleep on that she settles happily - with me by her side.
She stirs 3 times in a 12 hour period, but is much happier. Only my sleep
is more disturbed than when we slept in our own beds as she moves around an
incredible amount and I have to keep shifting around the bed to accommodate
her. Meanwhile poor hubbie is left out in the cold feeling helpless as she
won't accept comfort from him.

I should mention that we've recently returned from a 6 week trip to the UK
(from NZ) to see family. We've only been back a week and a half.

Could this change be a result of the trip or the start of seperation
anxiety?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers, Sarah

Old May 18th 04, 02:17 AM
Iowacookiemom

Sounds more like either an ear infection (if she is propped up at all while
sleeping near you) or jet lag. I'd wait a bit longer to see if it passes, and
if not see your doctor.

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11

Old May 18th 04, 07:59 PM
Sarah Dixon

Hi we found that my son became a lot more clingy after Xmas, when he had
had 6 bedrooms in 3 weeks plus lots of strangers coming and going. he
was 14months at the time, and we didn't have a 12 hour time difference
to contend with.
1) She's probably been having lots of attention from the family and is
still expecting that level of attention which is just not possible.
2) Having lost her friends she's been playing with she's probably
scared of losing you. My son accepts my husbands disappearance, after
all he goes to work every day and comes back, but he's more clingy with
me as he's not used to me disappearing.
3) She doesn't understand time differences

I would try to keep to some sort of routine, just to give her more
stability. I know it's really hard but if you sleep in her room with
her then she will get used to it, and that is really hard to break
(Guess how I know!) I have no suggestions that don't involve crying(you
and your daughter!) You just have to persevere with putting her back in
her own bed, comforting her when she crys. It should sort itself out in
time.

Good Luck

Sarah

Old June 9th 04, 03:31 AM
Kia

It sounds like your daughter was uprooted by your trip and just needs
to get back to her routine at home. I have a 7 year old, a 2 year old
and a 10 month old. My ten month old went through a teething spurt
last month and on many nights I was tempted to let him sleep with me
from the constant crying. However, I am glad I just comforted him in
his room and sent him back to his crib. My two year old, I was more
leanient with and I constantly find him at my bedside in the middle of
the night before my husband redirects him back to bed.
I would not set any patterns of letting your 10 month old sleep with
you everynight unless you and your husband are comfortable with
sharing your bed with you infant. However, watch for illnesses and
things like teething because that caused all of my fairly independent
kids to become clingy.
The phase with daddy should pass, my sons go through that with both of
us at one time or another. However, inspite of the intense bond daddy
has with his boys, when they are sick, they usually want mom. Is your
daughter teething? The bicuspids and molars were worse on my kids than
the front teeth.

Hope this helps.

Kia