Baby born in midair on London to Boston flight

Old September 27th 06, 04:52 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,alt.support.childfree,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Caledonia

Default Baby born in midair on London to Boston flight

Kent wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote

(And how did her giving birth unexpectedly "ruin everyone else's flight"?)

The flight was diverted, inconveniencing everyone else who had places to be.

Not to mention that the screams and goo of a childbirth are not exactly what
anyone wants to listen to/see--would you?

I'd choose goo over sitting next to a "Jim Wilson" on a cross-country
flight.

Then again, the airline did give me free drinks -- I guess it's the
hidden bonus of the corpse seatmate.

Caledonia

Old September 27th 06, 07:31 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,alt.support.childfree,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
mrtravel

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

VainGlorious wrote:

That's the crux of it, but you seem disinterested in discovering this
woman's motivation for flying when 7.5 months pregnant.

Do you really think it's anyone's business but her own? (Certainly not
YOURS, since you were not even on the flight in question.)

I think it might be the business of the people that were delayed.
Old September 27th 06, 07:54 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,alt.support.childfree,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air

Kent wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote

(And how did her giving birth unexpectedly "ruin everyone else's flight"?)

The flight was diverted, inconveniencing everyone else who had places to be.

Not to mention that the screams and goo of a childbirth are not exactly what
anyone wants to listen to/see--would you?

I seriously doubt whether the human birth aloft took place
the equivalent of center stage! For reasons of hygiene
alone, the woman would have been kept as isolated from the
rest of the passengers as possible.

Actually, in reply to your question, I might have found it
interesting - I've never observed a human birth, although
I've midwifed a feline or two. But then, I'm not
particularly squeamish - I remember eating dinner while
watching a TV film of zoo vets performing a caesarian on a
mother tiger. (Only later did I realize that might not be
everyone's choice for dinnertime entertainment.) :-)

Old September 27th 06, 09:16 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,alt.support.childfree,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Anne Rogers

Yeah, I had a road trip when I was about 5.5 months pregnant, and my
feet and ankles swelled up, and my back hurt like crazy. And I wasn't
even that far along! I couldn't imagine flying in the third trimester
- stuffy enclosed spaces, small seats, and no legroom to raise my feet
up to prevent them from puffing up again? No way would I have done it
lightly or frivolously.

I also made a big trip at 32 weeks pregnant, we were living in Korea and I
wanted to have the baby in England (we are British), we travelled business
class and it wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't have wanted to do it any later.

Cheers

Anne

Old September 27th 06, 02:30 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,alt.support.childfree,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
ChocolateChip_Wookie

Kent wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote

(And how did her giving birth unexpectedly "ruin everyone else's flight"?)

The flight was diverted, inconveniencing everyone else who had places to be.

Not to mention that the screams and goo of a childbirth are not exactly what
anyone wants to listen to/see--would you?

I dont remember screaming...does anyone else? A bit of heavy breathing
and the odd moan, but definitely no screaming. Giving birth does not
require you to let rip with primal screams...that's just the
entertainment industry. Generally, giving birth is pretty boring to
observe, its only the last few minutes that things get a little hectic.
All the run up to it is pretty mundane and apart from the general
grimaces and moving position allot, you wouldn't know a woman was in
labour. As to 'goo'...there is some blood granted but not much more than
from a bad cut, this isnt a scene from Alien you know. Anyway, flights
get diverted all the time for all sorts of reasons, chances are, you
will never experience a diversion because of a birth. In any case, how
was she to know at 26 weeks that she would go into labour. I believe
that the general rule is 'no flying after 37 weeks', so by her
reckoning, she had another 13 weeks or 3 months to go.

Wookie
Old September 27th 06, 04:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,alt.support.childfree,rec.travel.air
Nan

On 27 Sep 2006 07:26:13 -0700, "Kent_AOL" wrote:

The next best thing is the First Class cabin, and boy, you'd better
believe I'd have something to say if I'd paid hundreds extra for a
First Class seat, only to be kicked out so someone who should have
stayed home in the first place could whelp a baby in it (or next to
it)!

You all keep saying she should have stayed home, but you haven't
supplied any compelling reason for your assertion. Unless a doctor
grounds a pregnant woman, there is no reason not to fly.

Nan

Old September 27th 06, 05:27 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,rec.travel.air
Puester

VainGlorious wrote:

That's the crux of it, but you seem disinterested in discovering this
woman's motivation for flying when 7.5 months pregnant.

Do you really think it's anyone's business but her own? (Certainly not
YOURS, since you were not even on the flight in question.)

I think it might be the business of the people that were delayed.

They might have been just as delayed by many other circumstances:
a passenger's heart attack, equipment problems, weather, air traffic
overload, security breach, etc.

Anyone who flies a long distance and plans for meetings or other
critical engagements shortly after planned landing time is deluding
him/herself, maybe arrogant and control freaks, too.

We flew from Denver to Hartford, CT years ago with a couple who were
irate that the plane was diverted due to heavy fog to Boston (~2 hrs.
away by charter bus which the airline provided) because they missed
their granddaughter's wedding ceremony. The wedding site was an hour
from the Htfd. airport and they had allowed one hour extra in their
plans for "contingencies". How stoopid was that?

gloria p
Old September 28th 06, 06:37 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,alt.support.childfree,rec.travel.air
mrtravel

Hatunen wrote:

Check out the upstairs sleeping quarters for the crew on a 747
long-haul. It's in the rear. Not convenient for birthing, though.

Right, let's have a sleep deprived crew.
Old September 30th 06, 06:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,alt.support.childfree,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Geek the Girl

On 9/26/06 9:35 AM, in article ,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" spake thusly:

(snip)

(And how did her giving birth unexpectedly "ruin
everyone else's flight"?)

If you have to *ask*...