HELP

Old September 28th 06, 09:43 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sue the doula

Default HELP

Hi - my name is Sue, I work as a doula, (www.kentdoulas.co.uk) getting
amazing births for amazing women - my latest client has just suffered a
prolapsed disc (with a touch of SPD) - anyone had any personal
experience of this?

Many thanks

Sue
ps. look at my website and let me know if I've missed anything - check
out the links - are they working properly for you?

Old September 28th 06, 01:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
birth junkie

sue the doula wrote:
Hi - my name is Sue, I work as a doula, (www.kentdoulas.co.uk) getting
amazing births for amazing women - my latest client has just suffered a
prolapsed disc (with a touch of SPD) - anyone had any personal
experience of this?

Many thanks

Sue
ps. look at my website and let me know if I've missed anything - check
out the links - are they working properly for you?

I had severe SPD with my twin pregnancy (no disc issues though). The
SPD didn't affect the birth at all. In fact, I recall the pubic pain
going away during labor (or maybe I just had bigger and better things
to thing about, lol). This website might help:

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm

Good luck.
Lisa

Old September 28th 06, 01:50 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
birth junkie

sue the doula wrote:
Hi - my name is Sue, I work as a doula, (www.kentdoulas.co.uk) getting
amazing births for amazing women - my latest client has just suffered a
prolapsed disc (with a touch of SPD) - anyone had any personal
experience of this?

Many thanks

Sue
ps. look at my website and let me know if I've missed anything - check
out the links - are they working properly for you?

I had severe SPD with my twin pregnancy (no disc issues though). The
SPD didn't affect the birth at all. In fact, I remember the pubic pain
going away during labor (or maybe I just had bigger and better things
to think about, lol). This website might help:

Old September 28th 06, 05:10 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
birth junkie

sue the doula wrote:
Hi - my name is Sue, I work as a doula, (www.kentdoulas.co.uk) getting
amazing births for amazing women - my latest client has just suffered a
prolapsed disc (with a touch of SPD) - anyone had any personal
experience of this?

Many thanks

Sue
ps. look at my website and let me know if I've missed anything - check
out the links - are they working properly for you?

I had severe SPD with my twins pregnancy (no disc issues though). I
recall the pubic pain going away during labor (or maybe it's just that
I had bigger and better things to focus on, LOL). Anyway, the SPD did
not interfere with having a vaginal birth. This website has loads of
info:

Old September 28th 06, 11:16 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Engram

"sue the doula" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi - my name is Sue, I work as a doula, (www.kentdoulas.co.uk) getting
amazing births for amazing women - my latest client has just suffered a
prolapsed disc (with a touch of SPD) - anyone had any personal
experience of this?

Many thanks

Sue
ps. look at my website and let me know if I've missed anything - check
out the links - are they working properly for you?

I have prolapsed discs (L5/S1 and L4/5) with a compressed right L5 root and
probable compromise of the left L4 root. What anyone can tell you about
coping with pregnancy with prolapsed discs will depend on whether your
client's injury is in a similar site and of similar severity. However, I
will attempt to answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability.
For what it's worth, with my first pregnancy I only had the L5/S1 prolapse
with no nerve root compromise and went through a normal vaginal birth, the
prolapse did not affect anything. The rest of the problems developed as a
result of the pregnancy. This time around an anaesthetist/anesthesiologist
(depending on where you're from) wanted to make me have a caesarian but was
over-ruled by a neurosurgeon who said that there is nothing in the location
and severity of my prolapse to counter-indicate a vaginal birth and that I
can have an epidural if I want one (still undecided on that one).

Also, what is SPD? I keep hearing people mention it but the only thing I
could find is Spondyloperipheral dysplasia, which is a genetic disorder and
thus people would not be "developing it" but would have been born with it...
Birth junkie mentioned her SPD causing pubic pain - something, which I, too,
have been experiencing this pregnancy but have no idea of what is causing it
(I do not have the dysplasia mentioned above, my bone growth is normal).

Engram

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Matthew 21 June 2005
DD EDD 06 Oct 2006

Check out our family at
http://www.geocities.com/engram_au/

Old September 29th 06, 01:28 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Engram wrote:

Also, what is SPD?

symphysis pubis dysfunction

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 29th 06, 02:11 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Engram

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Engram wrote:

Also, what is SPD?

symphysis pubis dysfunction

Thanks Ericka.

I looked it up and kind of think that I might actually have it. I have pain
when walking, turning in bed, getting in and out of the car. Getting dressed
is horrible. I've taken to placing pants and underpants on the floor so I
can step into the leg holes and then pull straight up rather than having to
raise my legs one by one.

I'm due back at the hospital on Tuesday so in the meantime might do some
more research and print up some stuff, take it with me on the day. I'm going
through the public hospital system, don't have a specific OB that I see, but
if I at least raise the issue and ask them to document it... Perhaps I
should go see my GP in the meantime and try to get something diagnosed - if
this baby comes before I'm at the next hospital visit, at least I might have
a piece of paper with a diagnosis to wave at them. You might remember one of
my previous posts and the trouble I had getting anyone to take my prolapse
seriously. If I DO have SPD, I don't want to have to go through the same
ordeal one of the other NG members (was it Anne?) has had to go through
because the diagnosis kind of "slipped through" and people din't take
appropriate care at the time of delivery. I mentioned the pain to the
registrar at the hospital and he said it was "just ligaments stretching" and
dismissed it at that, no further questions about how and when I experience
the pain.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Old September 29th 06, 04:38 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
birth junkie

Engram wrote:

[...]

I've never heard SPD diagnosed by an OB, which I find incredibly
unbelievable. I hear women complaining everywhere about it and their
docs don't have a clue (they tell them it's ligatment pain or a pinched
nerve). SPD is very painful and I hope it eventually becomes
recognized as it's own issue. Check out the website. It's probably
way more info than you'll get from your doctor.

Lisa

Old September 29th 06, 06:58 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Engram

"birth junkie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've never heard SPD diagnosed by an OB, which I find incredibly
unbelievable. I hear women complaining everywhere about it and their
docs don't have a clue (they tell them it's ligatment pain or a pinched
nerve). SPD is very painful and I hope it eventually becomes
recognized as it's own issue. Check out the website. It's probably
way more info than you'll get from your doctor.

Managed to get an appointment with one of the Drs at the medical centre I go
to, but not my usual GP. She seemed to be fresh out of med school. I
described to her what I was experiencing and where. Oh! She'd had it when
she was pregnant 2 years ago but thought it was just ligament pain and it
wasn't as severe as what I was experiencing. She'd never seen a case of it
before. Had no idea how to check me out in order to confirm or reject a
diagnosis. Tried to look for actual separation of the pubic bones and
couldn't find it. I insisted it was a real syndrome and she called in my
usual GP. He poked and prodded me a couple of times, made me cringe and
groan when he pressed the right spot or made me lift my leg. Yep! SPD - only
in Australia they call it simply Pubic Symphysis. So now in my hot little
hand I have a letter addressed to my Antenatal Clinic outlining the
diagnosis. I will still print out some stuff from some web sites,
particularly the birthing position recommendations and the ones that are not
recommended so I have something to show the midwives.