Car commute with kids

Old October 16th 06, 04:25 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default Car commute with kids

What do you listen to when you commute with kids? I have an hour and
half total commute everyday with the kids in the car. I listen to the
typical lite rock radio stations that are reasonably ok with what they
say and what songs they play. Sometimes they casually say things I
don't want the kids hear. They are still toddlers but they pick up
things fast. I could listen to NPR but I get tired of too much talk and
repeat news.

What do you typically listen to while you commute?

Thanks.

Old October 16th 06, 05:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie

wrote in message
ups.com...
What do you listen to when you commute with kids? I have an hour and
half total commute everyday with the kids in the car. I listen to the
typical lite rock radio stations that are reasonably ok with what they
say and what songs they play. Sometimes they casually say things I
don't want the kids hear. They are still toddlers but they pick up
things fast. I could listen to NPR but I get tired of too much talk and
repeat news.

What do you typically listen to while you commute?

Thanks.

Elmo sing along.
Raffi
and more along those lines. I figured that happy kids was going to be better
for my sanity than mmusic that I liked.

Old October 16th 06, 05:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Tracey

wrote in message
ups.com...
What do you typically listen to while you commute?

You can totally control what is said by using a CD or a Cassette.

When we do our weekly 'commute' (2 hours each way, one round trip per week)
we either listen to a kidsongs or weesing cassette or CD, some tunes from my
Ipod, or (gasp) the kids watch a movie or tv show on DVD.

Old October 16th 06, 05:59 PM posted to misc.kids
annie

Stephanie wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
What do you listen to when you commute with kids?

Elmo sing along.
Raffi
and more along those lines. I figured that happy kids was going to be better
for my sanity than mmusic that I liked.

Funny - I am the opposite. Listening to music I like is much better
for my sanity than having to listen to strictly children's music. I
can only take a few Raffi songs at a time before I go bonkers.

We listen to our regular radio stations and our iPod. We sometimes
skip songs that come up if they have "adult" content in them or at
least adjust the volume for certain words and phrases, but in general,
we just let them listen to it. If they ask questions, it makes good
teaching opportunities. The benefit, IMHO, is that our boys are
growing up with a great appreciation for what we consider to be good
music. My 3 year loves Johnny Cash, The Beatles, and Queen, and will
ask for their songs by name. He would rather I sing "Ring of Fire"
when I tuck him in at night than "Twinkle Twinkle". My 10 yo recently
had to do a report on some aspect of the 60s and he chose the British
Invasion. He made us and my hippie brother very proud. :-)

Annie

Old October 16th 06, 06:16 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

" wrote in
ups.com:

What do you typically listen to while you commute?

i cut out the NPR when Tow Truck Guy (who is a tow truck, not
a person! Boo's imaginary friend) had his little sister and
his driver blown up by roadside bombs when Boo was 3...
thanks President Bush

so now we listen to CDs in the truck. i have a 6 CD changer
because the CDplayer in my truck bit the dust & it was cheaper
than replacing it... that only means we listen to the same 6
CDs for months, instead of *one* CD for months (the record
being Golden Bough's Celtic kids CD which was in there for
2.75 years. why yes, i do have it completely memorizedg)
i play a lot of Celtic, interspersed with Pogues & Ramones.
Boo was singing Johnny Tarr at three too ('get up off your
asses, and set up the glasses. I'm drinking this place dry.'
well, *i* think it's funny. better than singing Brittney
anyway)
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old October 16th 06, 06:21 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Tracey" wrote in
. com:

wrote in message
ups.com...
What do you typically listen to while you commute?

You can totally control what is said by using a CD or a
Cassette.

When we do our weekly 'commute' (2 hours each way, one
round trip per week) we either listen to a kidsongs or
weesing cassette or CD, some tunes from my Ipod, or (gasp)
the kids watch a movie or tv show on DVD.

i'd go screaming bonkers if i had to listen to kid's music. i
don't understand why they use such cheap production standards
& cruddy instrumentals on those, but... gah!
Boo has a DVD player for the not infrequent 8-9 hour trips to
NY, but as he gets older & able to read, he uses it less &
less. yay!

lee
Old October 16th 06, 06:26 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

"annie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Stephanie wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
What do you listen to when you commute with kids?

Elmo sing along.
Raffi
and more along those lines. I figured that happy kids was going to be
better
for my sanity than mmusic that I liked.

Funny - I am the opposite. Listening to music I like is much better
for my sanity than having to listen to strictly children's music. I
can only take a few Raffi songs at a time before I go bonkers.

I like children's music. Kinda silly when I'm at work and humming the
Barney song.

Old October 16th 06, 07:04 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Marty Billingsley wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
What do you listen to when you commute with kids? I have an hour and
half total commute everyday with the kids in the car. I listen to the
typical lite rock radio stations that are reasonably ok with what they
say and what songs they play. Sometimes they casually say things I
don't want the kids hear. They are still toddlers but they pick up
things fast. I could listen to NPR but I get tired of too much talk and
repeat news.

What do you typically listen to while you commute?

I know one family that plays read-along books in the car. Their
four-year-old is a fluent reader because of that. (Makes me wish we
had a commute:-)

OP here. This is lovely
However my 3 yo is already so fond of books her teachers tell me that
she doesn't want to do anything else other than read a book in her
montessori school. They think I'm deliberately pushing reading. They
don't know it's other way 'round.

In the last Parent Teacher meeting they told me in not many words that
I need to play with her and not read. That's another thread

When I was a little kid I hated games/PT period. I was never good at
any sports. I do run though.

Sorry I digress.

There are lots of read-along books available at Amazon; search for
"Young Reading CD Packs". Also "DK Read & Listen".

My sister plays story tapes to her family; the kids are in an 8-year age
span and all enjoy them. Jim Weiss is a wonderful story-teller; you
can order his CDs (or tapes) from
http://www.greathall.com

Or take audio books out of the library. You won't want the commute to
be over!

Hope this helps.