How to recognize a good doctor? Not OT...

Old April 16th 04, 04:57 PM
Jill

Default How to recognize a good doctor? Not OT...

I am wondering something, since so many doctors are complaintworthy or
mediocre, or not that helpful etc... or just ok, nothing great but not bad.
Average. I'm sure medical groups get a lot of complaints etc when a doctor
doesn't happen to help someone or something.

What I am wondering is when you find a truly awesome, amazing, smart
doctor....what can you do to get them recognition that they deserve for
that? I believe medical organizations need to know when they have a dud and
also especially when they have someone very talented and capable.

I LOVE my primary care doctor- I switched to her about 2 years ago in sheer
frustration with trying to get care coordinated for migraines and also just
to get better office treatment, being worked in when sick, an easier time
getting effective treatments etc. She is not just better coordinated though
she is sharp as a tack- extremely good at FIXING problems and symptoms. She
doesn't mask, she gets to the bottom of things. She ALWAYS has more tricks
up her sleeve, when you think you've reached the bottom of the bucket. ANd
you know in her hands, the problem will be taken care of.

I tell her this and am very appreciative toward her but I don't feel like
this is enough. I am going to write a letter to her medical group, as high
up as I can get in the adminstration...and the hospital org she is
affiliated with. I just want to make SURE someone, somewhere recognizes
that she is a true gem. Any other ideas on how I can make sure she gets some
praise? I want to do this because, it may not make a difference, but if any
way possible I would like for her to get some kind if credit- do doctors
have "good" records, like they have files on malpractice or suspensions etc?

Old April 16th 04, 05:25 PM
Carla

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:57:00 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

I just want to make SURE someone, somewhere recognizes
that she is a true gem. Any other ideas on how I can make sure she gets some
praise? I want to do this because, it may not make a difference, but if any
way possible I would like for her to get some kind if credit- do doctors
have "good" records, like they have files on malpractice or suspensions etc?

This sounds like a lovely idea but I'm afraid like in many other
fields that it will probably go un-acknowledged. You know sort of
like in a restaurant when you fill out a comment card. You fill out a
complimentary card for a server and they *might* get a token mention
at the next staff meeting or something. However, if you fill out a
negative one they may get fired and you will most likely get a
certificate in the mail for a free meal to that place.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that bad news travels a LOT faster
than good but that still shouldn't stop you (or any of us) from making
it known that we are pleased with someone & their services.

Good idea!

Carla
#1 EDD 5/14/04
Old April 16th 04, 06:35 PM
Sophie

What I am wondering is when you find a truly awesome, amazing, smart
doctor....what can you do to get them recognition that they deserve for
that? I believe medical organizations need to know when they have a dud

and
also especially when they have someone very talented and capable.

I agree, and I probably tell manager/boss when someone helped, more than I
complain to them. I think they hear complaints all the time, but not often
about a good employee.

I tell her this and am very appreciative toward her but I don't feel like
this is enough. I am going to write a letter to her medical group, as high
up as I can get in the adminstration...and the hospital org she is
affiliated with. I just want to make SURE someone, somewhere recognizes
that she is a true gem. Any other ideas on how I can make sure she gets

some
praise? I want to do this because, it may not make a difference, but if

any
way possible I would like for her to get some kind if credit- do doctors
have "good" records, like they have files on malpractice or suspensions

etc?

Do it and tell her you did it. It'll make you both feel good, even if it
doesn't *do* anything.

I go to my Hospital Patient Advocacy office at my Navy hospital and tell
them I want to tell them about a good Dr for a change. They laugh and love
it. I have no idea if the Dr even gets told about it. But I feel good for
doing it, ya know?

Old April 16th 04, 08:54 PM
Jamie Clark

I think what you are planning is great. Besides referring other people to
her, I'm not sure what else there is you can do. One of the major problems
as I see it, is that everyone is different, and different people have
different standards of "good" based on their personalities. Sometimes a
doctor is just fine, but it's a personality clash. Although you may love
love love your primary care doc, someone else may not think they are good --
it's not that your doc isn't good, it's that the other person may be
needier, or very independent, or whatever, and it's just not a match.

So, I think letters to the medical group are great, as are letters to the
doctor themselves, explaining what you like about them. And just keep on
praising them and sending like minded patients their way. I don't know what
else there is to do, but maybe someone else will have a suggestion.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest, Password:
Guest
Password

Handmade Baby Blankets -- www.geocities.com/digit_the_cat/Blankets.html

Old April 17th 04, 02:28 AM
toypup

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
I tell her this and am very appreciative toward her but I don't feel like
this is enough. I am going to write a letter to her medical group, as high
up as I can get in the adminstration...and the hospital org she is
affiliated with. I just want to make SURE someone, somewhere recognizes
that she is a true gem. Any other ideas on how I can make sure she gets

some
praise? I want to do this because, it may not make a difference, but if

any
way possible I would like for her to get some kind if credit- do doctors
have "good" records, like they have files on malpractice or suspensions

etc?

Our HMO recognizes MD's by their Doctor of the Year awards. Patient
satisfaction figures highly in that award.