Stay at home mom

Old May 28th 04, 04:22 PM
libbymom04

Default Stay at home mom

I am a working mother. My baby is 3 months old now. Well, I can't stand
being away from her, to the point where I get depressed and go into the
bathroom and cry. I do this almost everyday, not sure if it is hormonal or
what. Well, there is no way I could stay at home without bring in some
sort of income. I have thought and thought of ways to be able to stay at
home with her and work from home. But, I can't come up with anything. Any
ideas that worked for anyone? Did anyone else go through this seperation
anxiety? I get so jealous of stay at home moms.
On another note. I just started this new BC pill called Seasonale where
you only get 4 periods a year. Well, after taking it for 4 weeks, I
started bleeding, I thought it was breakthrough bleeding, but its not. I
bled for two week then called my OB. She gave me some estradiol, a hormone
pill. I have been on it for almost a week and it hasn't stopped yet. That
mean almost 3 weeks straight of bleeding. Has this happened to anyone? If
it helps I did have a C-section.
Mom to DD- 03/03/04

Old May 28th 04, 04:40 PM
Marie

On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:22:57 -0400, "libbymom04"
wrote:
I am a working mother. My baby is 3 months old now. Well, I can't stand
being away from her, to the point where I get depressed and go into the
bathroom and cry. I do this almost everyday, not sure if it is hormonal or
what. Well, there is no way I could stay at home without bring in some
sort of income. I have thought and thought of ways to be able to stay at
home with her and work from home. But, I can't come up with anything. Any
ideas that worked for anyone? Did anyone else go through this seperation
anxiety? I get so jealous of stay at home moms.

I was that way the whole year my firstborn was in daycare, I'd cry on
the way to daycare, on the way to work, at work, on the way back to
daycare untiL I had her in my arms. I felt horrible. I was single also
so besides welfare there was no way I could stay at home...I had no
kinds of skills back then to be able to work from home. When my mom
started keeping her I was much better, and at least didn't cry, though
I missed her so bad, and it sucked that by the time I'd get off work
and go get her it was midnight and she was sleeping. I feel for
mothers who have to work, it is so hard...
All I can think of is things like medical transcription work, some
kind of computer work, or housecleaning, or babysitting. There is
welfare also (which I did use at one point, that's what it is there
for imo)

Old May 28th 04, 05:10 PM
Donna

"libbymom04" wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
I am a working mother. My baby is 3 months old now. Well, I can't stand
being away from her, to the point where I get depressed and go into the
bathroom and cry. I do this almost everyday, not sure if it is hormonal or
what.

Hi Libby-

This will get better, you know. If you have to work, please try to
remember that you won't be sobbing in the parking lot for the rest of your
life. You'll get accustomed to this, as will your kid(s). Even *I* got
through this part, and I was the mom that the daycare staff was certain was
going to pull her child out, because she couldn't take it. I think they had
a pool going. eyeroll This *will* get better.

Well, there is no way I could stay at home without bring in some
sort of income. I have thought and thought of ways to be able to stay at
home with her and work from home. But, I can't come up with anything. Any
ideas that worked for anyone?

What did you do before you had kids? The easiest way to work from home is
to transition your existing job to a part time/consulting/telcommuting
position, which is what I did. What do you do?

Donna

Old May 28th 04, 05:49 PM
Jill

"Marie" wrote
I feel for
mothers who have to work, it is so hard...
All I can think of is things like medical transcription work, some
kind of computer work, or housecleaning, or babysitting. There is
welfare also (which I did use at one point, that's what it is there
for imo)

Also, I know someone who needed to bring in some money for supplemental
income but didn't want to be apart from her baby- she got a job at a
daycare, and the daycare allowed her kids to stay there for free, and she
got paid to care for the kids including hers. It didn't pay much, though...

Old May 28th 04, 07:44 PM
libbymom04

I was working for an attorney's office, but when I cam back from maternity
leave I started a new job in the county I live in's Juvenile Probabtion
Office. I am not sure what I could do to be able to stay at home. My
mother-in-law keeps her everyday along with her other two grandaughters, 2
and 5. My problem with leaving her is mainly I am gonna miss her
milestones. I don't wan her to get me and Maw-Maw confused. It would
really upset me if she wanted her Maw-Maw instead of me one day.

Old May 28th 04, 08:16 PM
Nikki

libbymom04 wrote:

My problem with leaving her is
mainly I am gonna miss her milestones.

That is sort of a fallacy. Milestones generally happen in increments. It
isn't like she is going to go from laying down to sitting on her own in 30
seconds, it happens gradually.

I don't wan her to get me and
Maw-Maw confused.

This will not happen.

It would really upset me if she wanted her Maw-Maw
instead of me one day.

She might at some particular minute in time. Sometimes my kids will pick
their grandma over me and she doesn't even baby sit or live in the same
town. The important thing to remember is that she is *not* going to forget
who her mommy is. She'll love you as a mother and her Maw-Maw as a grandma.
Children can't have to many people to love them. :-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old May 28th 04, 08:19 PM
Nikki

libbymom04 wrote:

Did
anyone else go through this separation anxiety?

Oh definitely. It was worse with my first but I had a touch of it with my
second too. I would have unreasonable spells of panic where I just was sure
I'd left him somewhere because he wasn't in the back seat. I of course
*knew* he was at daycare but I'd get that split second of panic frequently
and then just be overwhelmingly sad.

It gets better!!! I think I was past that by 6 months. You'll find a
routine and it sounds like your baby is well cared for and loved with your
MIL so that is good :-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old May 28th 04, 08:48 PM
Ericka Kammerer

libbymom04 wrote:

I was working for an attorney's office, but when I cam back from maternity
leave I started a new job in the county I live in's Juvenile Probabtion
Office. I am not sure what I could do to be able to stay at home. My
mother-in-law keeps her everyday along with her other two grandaughters, 2
and 5. My problem with leaving her is mainly I am gonna miss her
milestones. I don't wan her to get me and Maw-Maw confused. It would
really upset me if she wanted her Maw-Maw instead of me one day.

If that's your main worry, relax. They know who Mom
is, even if they're in daycare full time. That's totally
not an issue. You will also see her milestones. You might
not see her first steps, but that could happen even if you
were a SAHM. However, you will shortly see the first step
that *you* see, and that's as good a milestone as any. I
think there are valid reasons to stay home (missing your
kids among them), but I don't think that missing milestones
or having the child not know his or her mother are very
high on the list to worry about, though I know that's easier
to say than to do.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 28th 04, 09:00 PM
Dagny

"libbymom04" wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
I was working for an attorney's office, but when I cam back from maternity
leave I started a new job in the county I live in's Juvenile Probabtion
Office. I am not sure what I could do to be able to stay at home. My
mother-in-law keeps her everyday along with her other two grandaughters, 2
and 5. My problem with leaving her is mainly I am gonna miss her
milestones. I don't wan her to get me and Maw-Maw confused. It would
really upset me if she wanted her Maw-Maw instead of me one day.

What is it that is keeping you at work? When you look at all your expenses
of working -- clothes, car, buying lunch maybe, whatever compensation you
give your MIL, income and payroll taxes (count your income as the "top"
portion of your family income) -- how much better off are you *really*?
There's some good web pages about that, about the cost of working.

I also suggest you co-sleep if you don't already -- which gives your baby an
extra 8 hours a day smelling Mommy's skin and hearing Mommy's breathing. I
think that's important parenting time and I am a SAHM.

-- Dagny
Mom to Meg, 10/03
EDD 1/19/05

Old May 29th 04, 03:15 AM
Em

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
You might
not see her first steps, but that could happen even if you
were a SAHM.

snip

Yep. I'm a primarily SAHM though I have a small business of my own and
work from home with that during naptimes and evenings. I went to a three
day training this past week to become a Certified Breastfeeding
Educator. My mom babysat for us and brought DS to me several times each
day to nurse. Wouldn't you know it, he started crawling and getting from
lying-on-his-belly-to-a-sitting-position-unaided during those three days
and I missed it! It still seemed special though, because when I got
home, I got to see the new tricks for the first time.

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 8 months old!