my head hurts!!

Old June 9th 04, 12:42 PM
Rebecca McGraw

Default my head hurts!!

Thanks so much to everyone for all the excellent suggestions. I ended up
taking one ibuprofen, one sudafed, putting the (warmed) Bed Buddy on the
back of my neck, and...something else I can't remember now, but it
worked and by yesterday evening I was headache-free. I slept really well
last night so I'm sure that will make a difference as well! Also my
co-workers (one a mother of two and the other a mother of four, incl.
twins) have been good about making me slack more. I think doing too much
may have had a hand (head?) in it as well.

I'm prone to headaches anyway, but BP I used to treat them with plain
aspirin or Alieve, which of course is contraindicated now. And Tylenol
*never* works for me...I could take a whole bottle and OD, and probably
die with the headache. At least I don't get migraines, and I have *deep*
sympathy for those who do.

Off to work now.

Happy Wednesday to all,
Rebecca

Rebecca McGraw wrote:

Forgive my complaining, but I need advice from others:

I have had a headache for the past 28 hours...my whole head and neck
aches. It's not a migraine. I have tried everything I can think of: warm
bath, nap, drinking water like a crazy woman, eating protein, eating a
little sugar, eating fruit, Tylenol. I thought it might be my sinuses
because I had allergy problems on Sunday but I took Drixoral and, while
I'm no longer snotty, my head still hurts! I haven't tried caffeine, but
I'm not really drinking a lot of caffeine these days (haven't really for
over a year) so I don't think it's withdrawal after all this time. And
it's too late now, it would just keep me up tonight.

Is this just pregnancy? Will it go away? Can I take ANYTHING stronger
than Tylenol? Does anybody have any tricks up their sleeves that they
can share?

I'm 15 weeks Wednesday, if that makes a difference.

TIA,
Rebecca
Cranky in Central Arkansas
Due more or less Dec. 2

Old June 10th 04, 01:05 AM
Rebecca McGraw

Hi Donna,
If it hadn't slacked off I was planning to give my dr a call. As it
stands I have another appointment in a week and plan to mention it then,
unless the headache comes back then it's straight to the phone! She's
real patient with us first-time mommies and all our aches and pains
and I'm not good for much when I have a headache.
It's been really busy at work so I'm thinking that a good deal of it is
stress anyway. Friday I have off! I'll have the house to myself all day
long, and I plan to sleep in then go shop for some pants that fit.

Thanks!
Rebecca

Donna wrote:
"Rebecca McGraw" wrote in message

Forgive my complaining, but I need advice from others:

I have had a headache for the past 28 hours...my whole head and neck
aches. It's not a migraine. I have tried everything I can think of: warm
bath, nap, drinking water like a crazy woman, eating protein, eating a
little sugar, eating fruit, Tylenol. I thought it might be my sinuses
because I had allergy problems on Sunday but I took Drixoral and, while
I'm no longer snotty, my head still hurts! I haven't tried caffeine, but
I'm not really drinking a lot of caffeine these days (haven't really for
over a year) so I don't think it's withdrawal after all this time. And
it's too late now, it would just keep me up tonight.

Is this just pregnancy? Will it go away? Can I take ANYTHING stronger
than Tylenol? Does anybody have any tricks up their sleeves that they
can share?

Hi Rebecca!

First off, you seem to have done most of what you can to deal with this on
your own. A headache that lasts 28 hours is not a normal thing, though. It
is probably nothing to worry about, but at this point, I would definitely
give a call to your OB and see what s/he has to say about it. There *are*
prescription painkillers that you can take in pregnancy (I am prone to
migraines, so I have a script I can fill if necessary, for example), but
you'll need to get it from your physician.

28 hours.... that's a long time to have a headache. I really think you
should be getting some *real* (non-internet) medical advice, just to be
safe.

Best wishes,

Donna

Old June 10th 04, 01:34 AM
Donna

"Rebecca McGraw" wrote in message
Hi Donna,
If it hadn't slacked off I was planning to give my dr a call.

I'm so glad you are feeling better.

As it
stands I have another appointment in a week and plan to mention it then,
unless the headache comes back then it's straight to the phone!

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me!

She's
real patient with us first-time mommies and all our aches and pains

Isn't it wonderful to find someone like that?

and I'm not good for much when I have a headache.
It's been really busy at work so I'm thinking that a good deal of it is
stress anyway. Friday I have off! I'll have the house to myself all day
long, and I plan to sleep in then go shop for some pants that fit.

I hear you. I'm currently searching for well-fitting and attractive nursing
clothing for next month. I'm finding things that are either attractive, OR
well-fitting, but not both. sigh Good luck on the pants.

How far along are you?

Donna

Old June 10th 04, 12:26 PM
Rebecca McGraw

Default My pants don't fit! (was my head hurts!!)

Right at 15 weeks. Everyone had told me that I'd lose my waistline
"overnight" but I thought that they were exaggerating until it happened!
I definitely look much bigger this morning than I did last weekend. At
my last appointment I had only gained 2 pounds, but things have
definitely been shifting around! And it's about to get really hot
also...I predict more clothes issues than I usually have in my immediate
future. Fortunately we do summer casual at work (khakis and cotton tops,
and dressy sandals are OK).
-Rebecca

Old June 11th 04, 03:16 AM
Cathy

Rebecca McGraw wrote:
Right at 15 weeks. Everyone had told me that I'd lose my waistline
"overnight" but I thought that they were exaggerating until it
happened! I definitely look much bigger this morning than I did
last weekend. At
my last appointment I had only gained 2 pounds, but things have
definitely been shifting around! And it's about to get really hot
also...I predict more clothes issues than I usually have in my
immediate future. Fortunately we do summer casual at work (khakis and
cotton tops,
and dressy sandals are OK).
-Rebecca

I know the feeling. At 14 weeks I have been priding myself on still fitting
my pre-preg clothes. And then this morning, I suddenly realise that the
waistband on my jeans is getting uncomfortable when sitting in the car.
Darn - I must be starting to show!

Cathy

Old June 11th 04, 04:32 PM
Donna Metler

"Cathy" wrote in message
Rebecca McGraw wrote:
[...]

Well, at 10 weeks, I saw several people I hadn't seen in 6 months-who looked
at me and asked if congratulations were in order. So I definitely think the
tummy bulge is growing.

ANyone have good, inexpensive sources for maternity shorts? I'm starting to
notice it most there, and since my last pregnancy started in August, I have
lots of nice leggings, embroidered sweatshirts, and sweaters, and tops
aren't a problem yet (I'll be OK on causal stuff-all those XL T-shirts
because some group only had one size made). I have a lot of high waisted
dresses and jumpers which I wore to 5 1/2 months without problems last time.
But light weight, causal bottoms are definitely an issue-and the one
maternity consignment store here is great if you need business clothes or
more formal stuff-but not casual, day-to-day stuff.

Old June 11th 04, 06:37 PM
Rebecca McGraw

Donna, I just got back from visiting my local maternity consignment
store, where I found three pair of nice shorts (one each in black, white
and khaki) for a grand total of $29.50. Considering I can wear them
until October or later, I'm pleased! Maybe you could call regular
consignment stores in your area and ask if they have a maternity
section, or ask the maternity consignment store to give you a call if
they get any casual wear in, or if they know anyone that consigns casual
maternity wear? Or maybe just run an 'items wanted' ad in the classified
section of your local newspaper. Lots of papers will give Wanted ads
away free, or charge less than they would for regular 'for sale'
classifieds.

Also if you just want something to knock around the house in, find a
used jeans store or the local Salvation army and get men's jeans to cut
off. I can still fit in my husband's 32s, but not for more than a few
days more! That might work until you get really big-big.

Good luck with that! I'm WAY more comfortable right now than I was this
morning!

-Rebecca (not usually off work on Friday, so today feels like a holiday!)

Old June 11th 04, 07:51 PM
Elitsirk

"Cathy" wrote in message ...
Rebecca McGraw wrote:
[...]

14 weeks! I was well into maternity clothes at 14 weeks....My jeans
quit fitting at 7--I held them sort of closed with a rubberband until
about 8 when I broke down and bought real maternity ones. I hadn't
gained a pound at my 10 week appointment either--by 14 I definitely
had, though Also, by about 8-9 weeks, most of my button-front
shirts gaped way too much for decency.

I think I must just be really short-waisted compared to a lot of
people--there just isn't any room between my abodmen and my rib cage
for my uterus to expand into, so it went *out*. I'm starting to feel
sorry for my older sister should she ever have kids--she's built like
I am but 3 inches shorter...

--Elit.
#1 due 9/20/2004
Old June 12th 04, 03:48 AM
Leslie

I bought shorts at Wal-mart pretty cheap, Donna. I have one pair of maternity,
and one pair of stretchy ones on size bigger than what I usually wear. If you
go that route, you can pick some up for five dollars a pair!

Leslie
Old June 14th 04, 05:50 AM
Cathy

Elitsirk wrote:
"Cathy" wrote in message
Rebecca McGraw wrote:
[...]

I'm quite tall, and I have good 'child-bearing hips', so plenty of space to
hide a baby!. I was also about 10 lbs lighter at the start of this
pregnancy than the last one. So I could go up a size and still be in
'pre-preg' clothes. But now it is definitely time to get out the elastic
waist things!! And time to see if I can find a pair of maternity jeans that
aren't bootleg (and I'm not in the USA, so don't have access to all the
wonderful maternity shops it sounds as though you have there).

Cathy

Toddler with strange head pain Olaf General 14 June 12th 04 10:54 PM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 06:57 PM
Will I know when the babys head is "engaged" Mom2B Pregnancy 2 December 11th 03 09:25 PM
Brain Growth, Head Circumference, and Autism Circe General 3 July 17th 03 10:00 PM