OT really can't cope

Old November 22nd 03, 03:28 PM
Sue

Default OT really can't cope

Have you ruled out an illness? Have you taken him to the doctor at all?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

teapot wrote in message
om...
I can't run on no sleep, I really can't and now the kitchen roof is
leaking,

There was nothing I could do for teh moo last nigt that would make him
happy, we are both miserable

teapot

Old November 22nd 03, 03:29 PM
Jacqui

Lara wibbled

Plain paracetamol plus or minus teething gel works brilliantly for
Luke when he's teething. Just measure the dose carefully, teapot -
check it twice, and preferably get someone else to check it too,
especially given how tired you are.

Most baby paracetamol here (Calpol, Boots own etc) comes in one-dose
sachets (10 in a box) so you cannot overdose the child. The only time
it's an issue is 2 month injections, when you are supposed to give half
the dose - that led to a sticky moment or two when we tried to fold
down the sachet with the remaining halfdose in it... ;-)

Jac
Old November 22nd 03, 03:36 PM
Jacqui

Andrea wibbled
Lara wrote

I'm kinda surprised they get away with that labelling, frankly.
OTC diphenhydramine in a three month old? It's been linked with
SIDS and apnoea. Here they say "not to be used children under two
without medical advice", and no manufacturer will even begin to
list a dose for a baby under six months. In good news, Benadryl
here correctly list their products as "may be used in
breastfeeding" rather than giving the knee-jerk CYA advice on
choosing between the medication and breastfeeding.

Medised have a version of their meds that is from 3 months. It's
available to buy in any pharmacy here in the UK.

It does not contain diphenhydramine (which *is* in Tixycolds, Tixylix,
Uniflu and their variants).

http://bnf.org/bnf/bnf/current/doc/119641.htm

Jac
Old November 22nd 03, 03:38 PM
Sue

Andrea wrote in message
Here it is http://tinyurl.com/w3my I wonder why it's on sale here if it's
so bad?

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 5 months 20lbs

It's not bad. Some people over-react to that particular warning of giving
too much Tylenol. People were going by age and not weight and were giving
too much to the children over a long period of time. So now the paranoid
people have translated that into any dose of Tylenol will cause liver
damage. It doesn't, not if you follow the recommendations. What I think is
humerous is that I have a daughter that had a liver transplant due to
problems with her liver when she was born. And the hospital had to give her
Tylenol (she can't have Motrin) all the time after surgery and for the many
many fevers she has had in her short little life. Those doctors would not
give it if it caused liver damage, especially to her. It can cause liver
damage only if you overuse it and use too much.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 22nd 03, 04:00 PM
Dawn Lawson

Andrea wrote:

250 mg per 5 ml. 100 ml bottle. That's 5 grams of paracetamol. 12
grams can be fatal to an adult in a single dose, even less in a person
with liver disease. 150 mg/kg in a child can cause serious liver
damage. This child was lucky.
http://www.pharmweb.net/pwmirror/pwy...mol/chart.html

Lara

Here is a snippet from your link;

Management of CHILDREN (12 years) who present within 8 hours of
ingestion

Paracetamol poisoning with children's liquid preparations is rarely
serious. However, children poisoned with adult paracetamol preparations may
be at risk of serious liver and renal damage.

The risk is high if a child is overdosed with ADULT paracetamol doses.

Clearly you don't understand.
an entire botte of child's paracetamol contains more than an adult daily
maimum dose of paracetamol, and depending on the size of the child, it
could have been quite dangerous, and surely isn't something to be
shrugged off as an event to prove the safety of paracetamol.
I'm not saying that paracetamol is a highly dangerous preparation, but
just that you're rather blithly giving questionable advice, and seem a
bit cavalier in your approach. Does it have to be a high risk to
warrent concern?

Dawn?

Old November 22nd 03, 04:01 PM
Andrea

"Jacqui" wrote in message
. 7...
Andrea wibbled
Lara wrote

I'm kinda surprised they get away with that labelling, frankly.
OTC diphenhydramine in a three month old? It's been linked with
SIDS and apnoea. Here they say "not to be used children under two
without medical advice", and no manufacturer will even begin to
list a dose for a baby under six months. In good news, Benadryl
here correctly list their products as "may be used in
breastfeeding" rather than giving the knee-jerk CYA advice on
choosing between the medication and breastfeeding.

Medised have a version of their meds that is from 3 months. It's
available to buy in any pharmacy here in the UK.

It does not contain diphenhydramine (which *is* in Tixycolds, Tixylix,
Uniflu and their variants).

http://bnf.org/bnf/bnf/current/doc/119641.htm

Jac

The 3+ months medised does contain diphenhydramine,

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/prod...9_MED1859.html

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 5 months 20lbs

Old November 22nd 03, 04:07 PM
Dawn Lawson

Jacqui wrote:

Lara wrote

Plain paracetamol plus or minus teething gel works brilliantly for
Luke when he's teething. Just measure the dose carefully, teapot -
check it twice, and preferably get someone else to check it too,
especially given how tired you are.

Most baby paracetamol here (Calpol, Boots own etc) comes in one-dose
sachets (10 in a box) so you cannot overdose the child.

Unless the box is equipped with a time lock mechanism that prevents you
from taking more than one package out at a time, of COURSE an overdose
is possible.
I laughed when we had to keep higher strength tablets of ibuprofen
behind the counter at the pharmacy, because taking more than one tablet
of the lower strength is possible, likely and unregulated and just as
east to exceed the recommneded dosage with as the higher ones..

The sachets just make it more convenient to give a standard dose, and
less so to use any other dose, as you found out after the shots when you
have to deal with half a sachet.

Dawn

Old November 22nd 03, 04:09 PM
Dawn Lawson

teapot wrote:

I can't run on no sleep, I really can't and now the kitchen roof is
leaking,

There was nothing I could do for teh moo last nigt that would make him
happy, we are both miserable

((teapot))
I know how you feel, wenet thru the same thing at about the same age.
Sleep anytime at all that you can pull it off.
And if you are concerned, maybe take the Moo for a quick checkup to see
if there's anything more to be done.

Dawn

Old November 22nd 03, 05:00 PM
Kathy

teapot wrote:

There was nothing I could do for teh moo
last nigt that would make him happy, we
are both miserable

Hi teapot,

I recently posted about being in a similar situation, except my dd is
almost 10 weeks old.

I wish I had a ton of advice for you (and me)...but I can tell you that
I know how HORRIBLE it is to be sleep deprived. It's more than just
being tired...it effects your entire life in every way possible. When
I'm tired I am unable to respond to dd the way I would like to...I am
crabby with dh...I forget things, drop things, start crying out of the
blue...in general I act like a crazy person.

Last night I was lucky enough to get 5 hours of straight sleep thanks to
my dh. He insisted I go to bed, and he just did his best to take care
of dd. She cried a lot...and he spent hours rocking her, holding a
pacifier in her mouth, pacing the floor, etc...but today I am feeling so
much better. I feel much better able to handle dd's fussiness.

I don't know, I guess I just wanted to tell you that there are many of
us out there who know how you are feeling...you are not alone and today
(now that I've had some sleep) I can tell you that it will get better.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you and that little moo of
yours get some well needed sleep soon.

Kathy

Old November 22nd 03, 05:38 PM
Jacqui

Dawn Lawson wibbled

Jacqui wrote:

Lara wrote

Plain paracetamol plus or minus teething gel works brilliantly
for Luke when he's teething. Just measure the dose carefully,
teapot - check it twice, and preferably get someone else to check
it too, especially given how tired you are.

Most baby paracetamol here (Calpol, Boots own etc) comes in
one-dose sachets (10 in a box) so you cannot overdose the child.

Unless the box is equipped with a time lock mechanism that
prevents you from taking more than one package out at a time, of
COURSE an overdose is possible.

Insert "accidentally" into the sentence. Of course you can wilfully and
maliciously overdose a child on pretty much anything if you want to,
but infant paracetamol, even at two doses in three hours (assuming the
administrating person is too tired to read a clock) is pretty low risk
in the scheme of things. If nothing else there's no "did we already do
this?" factor - the torn sachet/ones remaining in the box are a big
clue. Lara was discussing the imprecise nature of "spoonfuls" - not a
problem with sachets,

Jac

postnatal visitors Abi Pregnancy 90 May 5th 04 10:12 PM
Birth story: very late and *extremely* long Sidheag McCormack Pregnancy 14 December 13th 03 08:37 PM
General questions about labor/delivery J Pregnancy 51 November 25th 03 10:28 PM
to drug or not to drug... the Princess Pregnancy 50 September 27th 03 07:45 PM