Question about a broken tooth

Old January 29th 04, 01:44 PM
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

Default Question about a broken tooth

Madiba, no that is the new spelling of am*lgam. You are using the
outdated version.

Joel

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 01:13:40 +0100, (madiba) wrote:

Beth wrote:

"Jim's wife" wrote in message
t...
One of my molars broke apart and I am having dentist take care of it
(crown/root canal) in a week or two. But right now it is chipped and the
big silver filling is exposed. Once in a while I can feel another piece

of
tooth chipping away. Hole getting bigger. There is a funny taste in

there,
could this be the filling? Could the raw filling being exposed cause any
mercury leakage/poisoning? I am breastfeeding and am concerned.

Sorry that you have tooth trouble. I wouldn't worry too much about filling
am*lgam leaking mercury. It's fairly stable. The funny taste is probably
part of a galvanic reaction or maybe just caries rot. I think there's a lot
of alarmism surrounding am*lgam fillings . . . try not to let it get to you.

Isn't this cute? Amalgam gets a little star, like the 4-letter words.
Are you a dentist's wife, is amalgam a dirty word around the house?
To Jim's wife: Amalgam and its oxides can have a metallic taste, the
funny taste is probably caries. Rinse the tooth with plenty of water,
and get that amalgam covered asap. Don't let the dentist do any
extensive drilling of the amalgam (at least not before your baby is over
the breast-feeding age) if he is not especially equipped to do so.
Breast-feeding drains the mothers calcium stores and can lead to
weakening of teeth, get more calcium into your food.

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

DISCLAIMER FOLLOWS:

*********

Dental health-related material
is provided for information purposes
only and does not necessarily
represent endorsement by or an official
position of the SciMedDentistry gang
or any other official agency either
actual or fictitious or Steve Mancuso.

Advice on the treatment or care
of an individual patient should
be obtained through consultation
with a dentist who has examined
that patient or is familiar with
that patient's dental history.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER
Old January 29th 04, 01:45 PM
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

Beth wrote:

"Jim's wife" wrote in message
[...]

Covered? Is there any danger of premature death?

Joel

Old January 29th 04, 01:45 PM
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

It cannot!

Joel

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:04:40 -0500, Brian wrote:

(madiba) wrote:

Beth wrote:

Breast-feeding drains the mothers calcium stores and can lead to
weakening of teeth,

Would you care to give a physiological explanation of how that would
occur?

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

DISCLAIMER FOLLOWS:

*********

Old January 29th 04, 01:46 PM
Steven Fawks DDS

Breast feeding does not 'weaken teeth', and teeth themselves do not
react to low calcium intake or increased calcium demands like bone.

Best wishes,

Fawks

Do teeth remodel like bone? Or are you just refering to bone density
(which I suppose could cause *loose* teeth, but I'm not 100% sure it
would weaken the teeth themselves and cause breakage)

Dawn

Old January 29th 04, 01:46 PM
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

What is there about corcumcision that incites riots?

Wait, the pitchfork and scythe people are surrounding my cottage as we
speak ......

Joel

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:11:39 -0700, "iphigenia"
wrote:

madiba wrote:

Isn't this cute? Amalgam gets a little star, like the 4-letter words.
Are you a dentist's wife, is amalgam a dirty word around the house?

Uh, replacing a letter with an asterisk is very common with words that tend
to incite a lot of controversy (e.g. c*rcumcision), to try to ward off
flamewars. It doesn't have anything to do with it being considered obscene.
This is pretty typical Usenet practice.

Breast-feeding drains the mothers calcium stores and can lead to
weakening of teeth, get more calcium into your food.

*While* you're nursing this is true, but there's a rebound effect after
weaning that contributes to greater bone density long-term.

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

DISCLAIMER FOLLOWS:

*********

Old January 29th 04, 01:47 PM
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:21:11 GMT, Dawn Lawson
wrote:

iphigenia wrote:
madiba wrote:

Breast-feeding drains the mothers calcium stores and can lead to
weakening of teeth, get more calcium into your food.

*While* you're nursing this is true, but there's a rebound effect after
weaning that contributes to greater bone density long-term.

Do teeth remodel like bone?

Only on internet newsgroups does this happen. In real life it does
not.

Joel

Old January 29th 04, 10:49 PM
Jill

I believe that pregnancy puts a drain on calcium, hence affecting teeth.
Witth each of my pregnancies, I had a tooth break while eating, bad breaks.
These were my good teeth, no previous fillings. Both at about 6 months into
pregnancies.

"Jim's wife" wrote in message
t...
One of my molars broke apart and I am having dentist take care of it
(crown/root canal) in a week or two. But right now it is chipped and the
big silver filling is exposed. Once in a while I can feel another piece

of
tooth chipping away. Hole getting bigger. There is a funny taste in

there,
could this be the filling? Could the raw filling being exposed cause any
mercury leakage/poisoning? I am breastfeeding and am concerned.

Thanks for your advice

Old January 29th 04, 10:59 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

Jill wrote:

I believe that pregnancy puts a drain on calcium, hence affecting teeth.
Witth each of my pregnancies, I had a tooth break while eating, bad breaks.
These were my good teeth, no previous fillings. Both at about 6 months into
pregnancies.

There are a variety of reasons why women develop dental problems
during and after pregnancy. None of them have anything to do with kids
being a drain on calcium--neither during pregnancy nor during nursing.
There is no denying though, that mothers with young children seem to
develop an increase in dental problems. This points out the importance of:
1) Maintaining oral health, ESP. if you are trying to have a baby.
2) Have your teeth checked both before and during pregnancy. X-rays
should be avoided if possible, but this is not always possible. X-ray
doses with modern film and esp. with digital x-rays are very small;
proper shielding allows almost zero radiation to the fetus.
3) Dentistry should be kept to a minimum during pregnancy. This does
NOT mean that dental problems during pregnancy are not treated. Failure
to treat an abscess is not doing the baby any favors.
4)If dental treatment is to be performed during pregnancy, it is safest
to do it during the second trimester if possible.
5) New mothers are always tired. It is easy to forget your own needs.
Women who are pregnant frequently disappear from my practice for a
couple of years, only to return with a toothache. Your health needs
don't diminish when you have a kid, so continue to take care of
yourself. Your kids need you to be healthy!

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
Brooklyn, NY