Every social science construct deeply flawed.

Old February 15th 05, 05:54 AM
Doan

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Carlson LaVonne wrote:

Interesting response....

Kane wrote:

How many advocates of spanking have used control groups?

None.

And what in heave's name do you mean: "That is, those with no
interventions, but other variables controlled for?

I suspect Fern would like control groups where children are spanked
repeatedly compared with groups where children are rarely or never
spanked. Ethically this is impossible. Can you imagine designing a
study where a group of parents are instructed to hit their children, and
become part of a control group?

There has been NO research showing that spanking is effective in more
then the very short term. NO longitudinal studies of any appreciable
length EVER done, Furneal. Nothing but anecdote, superstition, and self
deluded, " I turned out okay," baloney.

No there is NO resedarch showing that spanking is effective in the long
run, and very little that shows spanking to be effective even sort term.

And I will ask you again. Do you have any studies in which the
non-spanking alternatives fared better than spanking under the
same conditions? Shall you give me the same DEAFENING SILENCE
again?

Let me remind you and ALL ANTI-SPANKING ZEALOTS that in Straus & Mouradian
(1998), the non-spanking alternatives showed even stronger correlations
to anti-sociable behaviors than spanking.

alternatives like:

1) Talking to the child calmly
2) Sent the child to the room
3) Time-out
4) Removal of privileges

All of these together "was found to have a much stronger relation than any of
the other variables."

REFERENCE:
Straus, Murray A. & Vera E. Mouradian. 1998 "Impulsive Corporal Punishment by
Mothers and Antisocial Behavior and Impulsiveness of children." Behavioral
Sciences and the Law. 16: 353-374.

Doan

Old February 17th 05, 10:15 PM
Greegor

LaVonne?

Old February 25th 05, 11:58 PM
Carlson LaVonne

Fern,

How many what utilize control groups? You aren't suggesting a control
group for spanking research, are you?

And what do you mean by "those with no interventions, but other
variables controlled for?"

If you had read the research you would know that there is a multitude of
research that has no interventions. And the research controls for other
variables. This research has been posted time after time.

LaVonne

Fern5827 wrote:

How many utilize control groups? That is, those with no interventions, but
other variables controlled for?

Old February 28th 05, 09:41 PM
Greegor

LaVonne: What kind of crappy news reader do you use? You keep making
these "coffee party"
comments in an effort to conceal the fact that
you can't follow the discussion thread.

La La LaVonne?

Which is YOUR favorite research to prove your point?

Strauss? or Who?

Old February 28th 05, 09:49 PM
Doan

On 28 Feb 2005, Greegor wrote:

LaVonne: What kind of crappy news reader do you use? You keep making
these "coffee party"
comments in an effort to conceal the fact that
you can't follow the discussion thread.

La La LaVonne?

Which is YOUR favorite research to prove your point?

Strauss? or Who?

I am still waiting on whether or not she has read the *PROOF* that Ivan
posted. It's funny how they are quiet when I asked a simple question:
How many spankers are the the 90% or parents that are considered to be
"non-punitive"? Can you hear the DEAFENING SILENCE? :-)

Doan