please help me!

Old December 16th 05, 02:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default please help me!

"Amy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nikki wrote:
oregonchick wrote:

I will look for something then other than the PureLan that I have been
using. It is so sticky even it hurts to rub on.

I never used much of the stuff but if you rub a pea sized blob between
you
fingers until it is warm it is much easier to apply. I still have the
first
tube I bought.

I wonder if it's microwavable? I know what you mean about it being too
sticky, I remember that. Ouch.

I had the Medela PureLan, but just bought some Lansinoh and it's much softer
in consistancy...

Old December 16th 05, 02:58 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Amy" wrote and I snipped:

Make sure you have a really,
really good latch. Fish lips. Watch the videos at
http://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/helpme_video.html

I second, third, and fourth these videos. They can help you see, in detail,
what a good latch looks like. They can be invaluable. They're very short
and show close-ups of the baby's mouth on the breast. Especially try the
ones down the center column.

HTH,
-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old December 16th 05, 04:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
. ..

"Amy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nikki wrote:
oregonchick wrote:

I will look for something then other than the PureLan that I have been
using. It is so sticky even it hurts to rub on.

I never used much of the stuff but if you rub a pea sized blob between
you
fingers until it is warm it is much easier to apply. I still have the
first
tube I bought.

I wonder if it's microwavable? I know what you mean about it being too
sticky, I remember that. Ouch.

I had the Medela PureLan, but just bought some Lansinoh and it's much
softer in consistancy...

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but have you tried woollen
breast pads? Someone was talking about them the other day, they contain
natural lanolin and they also collect your milk in them - it sounds yuck,
but you only wash them out about every 3-4 days, and the milk helps with the
healing. Disposable breast pads tend to stick, which can be very painful.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old December 16th 05, 05:04 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
Just had my daughter on the 11th, determined to breast feed. But even
with a good latch, my nipples are already cracked and bleeding. I caved
and pumped and bottle fed tonight. I absolutely cannot tolerate the pain.
I'm sitting here with an ice pack on each breast. I just don't know what
to do. I'm crying and miserable, and want to do the right thing, but oh
god it hurts.

I really, really feel for you. That first week, or even first fortnight, can
be so difficult. At this stage your milk has probably only just come in, and
your daughter is probably thirsty, suckling non-stop to build your supply
and pass meconium. I also would urge caution with bottles, especially if
you're already concerned about the latch. It could well make the problem
worse.
((((hugs)))) to you, and it does get better.

Old December 16th 05, 09:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:38:58 -0500, PattyMomVA wrote:

"Jen" wrote and I snipped:
I spent a couple of weeks
wandering round the house in no bra, or at least one with plenty of
Vaseline (worked just as well as Lansinoh or the avent stuff)

I've not heard of using Vaseline. I believe Lansinoh is recommended because
it need not be wiped off before the baby feeds. Can/Should a baby ingest
petroleum jelly?

-Patty, mom of 1+2

I asked that and they said it wasn't a problem. Not that there was much
left by the time of the next feed. In fact my main mw gave me a packet of
gauze which was coated in vaseline. It was good for retaining more of it
on the nipple and keeping it moist for longer.

Jeni

Jeni

Old December 16th 05, 06:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I put vaseline on my lips all the time and I'm sure some of it gets
ingested. And my mom always put tons of it on me and my sibs when we
were little (all over our mouths and nose) during the winter. I
wouldn't eat it out of the jar with a spoon but I don't think a
little bit is going to hurt, even a baby.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old December 17th 05, 01:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
news

"emilymr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't have any good advice (besides slathering on the lasinoh), but
I'm pulling for you!! Nursing through pain SUCKS, and I *do* know what
it feels like to cry through the latch (I'd sit on the bed dripping
tears on M's head and telling DH "He doesn't even care that it
hurts!!") -- it took me at least 2 weeks before it stopped hurting, and
I definitely could understand why women stop. But it *did* stop
hurting, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it seems
very far away at the moment. I'm sure other people will be able to
give you some tips, but I just wanted to give you some encouragement
right away!

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Hey, if I only have to suffer 2 weeks, I am pretty sure I can do that.
Actually it's starting to get a little better today. One side is terribly
cracked still, so I'm feeding her off the other side and pumping the
cracked side. It hurts to pump too, but it's more controlled.

It gets better!!! Hang in there! My DD is only 8 weeks and I too was in a
lot of pain for the first 2 weeks. Toe curling, gritting teeth pain with my
DH just sitting there not knowing what to do.

It is temporary. I know it hurts for now... you can do it.

~Shell

Old December 18th 05, 09:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
Just had my daughter on the 11th, determined to breast feed. But even
with a good latch, my nipples are already cracked and bleeding. I caved
and pumped and bottle fed tonight. I absolutely cannot tolerate the pain.
I'm sitting here with an ice pack on each breast. I just don't know what
to do. I'm crying and miserable, and want to do the right thing, but oh
god it hurts.

With Erin who is 7 weeks I was crying and couldn't stand to put her near my
breast. I'd had cracked nipples with my other 5 but nothing like this, I had
a huge crack on each nipple running top to bottom, looked more like a gaping
cut.
I pumped and bottlefed using a Haberman feeder - for me it was that or quit
(and I love breastfeeding!). It took 1 week and my nipples healed and I
didn't have any more probs.. my midwife told me I had big boobs and she
wasn't latching right and was mashing my nipples!

Andrea.

Old December 19th 05, 12:58 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Andrea S" wrote in message
[...]

I wonder if size is part of my problem too. I was a 36C before pregnancy,
but am now a very full 40DD. Very full. And when engorged, even bigger...

Old December 19th 05, 08:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick"

I wonder if size is part of my problem too. I was a 36C before pregnancy,
but am now a very full 40DD. Very full. And when engorged, even
bigger...

Well for me I always was a DD cup when breastfeeding, however mama nature
decided to make me an F cup this time around! My little girls tiny mouth
could't fit it all in. The la leche leage advisor told me to squeeze it
together like a big Mac before putting it into her mouth!

My figure is coming back but I look like I have had a boob job!

Andrea.