totally confused

Old April 26th 06, 05:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default totally confused

Very funny to me... My nephew is over two and is still not on any
"adult table food"...and still gets baby food jars. So many people do
things differently, it's not like you're starving Ada or something. I
don't get why it would even be a big deal for her to be having some
baby food jars. It also just seems silly to try and force a child that
young to understand "sorry, you didn't eat when food was offered. no
more until your next scheduled meal".

At least you have a bunch of encouraging people here...

Cristi :]

Old April 26th 06, 06:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"LietoFine" wrote in message
ups.com...
It also just seems silly to try and force a child that
young to understand "sorry, you didn't eat when food was offered. no
more until your next scheduled meal".

Yeah, that's a bunch of crap. My pediatrician says that it's impossible to
keep a child that young on a set schedule, because their needs are so
different. He suggested that we of course offer food to the kids at our
regular meal times, but if they are hungry at a different time, to of course
feed them - just as long as it's good and nutricious. He also said that
eating 5-6 small meals is much healthier for adults too.

I would tell the HV how you feel, in a diplomatic way of course.

Old April 26th 06, 10:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I was talking with the health visitor about what Nathanael eats as he is
underweight, so we were trying to find ways of fattening him up. When she
finds out that I sometimes give Ada a jar at lunch time, she was like, she
should be on table food now, if she's still eating baby food, when are you
going to switch her over etc etc etc. I explained that if I did give her
our lunch, because it was more difficult for her to eat, she didn't eat as
much and would end up breastfeeding extra in the afternoon, which I
actually think would be not a bad thing, but because I find it so
difficult physically to lift her etc. it works for us. What I didn't
expect her to say was in which case you have to be strong and not feed
her, so that she'll be hungry and eat her next meal. So, it's like she
expects me to spend all afternoon comforting a grumpy baby, who should be
asleep, but won't because she is hungry, erm, well no, if she had said
well that's fine, just breastfeed her, I would have made the change, but
right now I'm not going to.

She totally laid into me about Nathanael's eating, particularly about the
things I've been doing because the doctor told me to. Life is difficult
enough as it is, we survive, there are some small things we can change,
but switching everything at once is too much. So we can get some cream and
add it to Nathanael's cereal, but we can't be going out to buy fresh bread
every day so Ada can eat it rather than the stay fresh loaf which we buy
once a week.

I'm really glad we don't have HV. From the descriptions on this ng and
others, they are a real pain in the behind. It seems they ought to be
concentrating on whether the child is healthy, but they get into all these
parenting kicks that is none of their business.

Old April 27th 06, 09:15 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

--- Oh and for the record, Tara is 10mths weights
8kg and eats rice cereal for breaky, puree food (usually homemade) for lunch

and whatever we have in the way of normal table food for tea. She has
two
breast feeds aday although she is more comfort feeding than
breastfeeding
now, she has cows milk during the day as she will not feed effectively
from
me anymore.

Dear Cheri,

I think it's not right to give cow's milk to your 10 month-old. I
read from some sources that before a baby reaches her first birthday,
her stomach isn't ready to digest cow's milk properly. Isn't it
better to return to breastfeeding or formula?

My son just reaches 1 year old. He's also underweight. But I see that
he's quite healthy and enjoy his food. His mom's milk is still his
favorite (I still nurse in the evening). He doesn't really like his
formula. Maybe this causes him for not getting normal weight. But
I'm happy now as he likes the cow's milk I offered. I think he
drinks more of it (cow's milk) than formula.

Cheers,
Cinnamon Leaf
http://cinnamonleaf.lipblogs.com

Old April 27th 06, 09:49 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article ,
"Anne Rogers" wrote:

I was talking with the health visitor about what Nathanael eats as he is
underweight, so we were trying to find ways of fattening him up.

snipped

I would be writing a letter to her superior, asking exactly why the HV feels
free to contradict your doctor's orders and why she feels compelled to burden
you -- who have a disability -- with various orders that you can't fulfil
without difficulty. It's not as if you're giving them whisky and cigars!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old April 27th 06, 02:32 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Anne Rogers wrote:
Veering off topic but have you considered a breadmaker? Ours has a
"Quick
loaf" cycle that only takes an hour. I make fresh bread most days
now and the kids both love it. You can add extra olive oil or
things like sesame seeds if your two will eat them.

we actually have one, but with my SPD being so bad it's one of the
things that comes under the too much category, though I could
probably manage one of the mixes, so I'll probably put them on the
shopping list.
Still makes things complicated, because then I have to slice it, and
I know this sounds silly but it's yet another thing that I find hard,
there always seems to be some twisting involved even if you sit down,
then it produces more crumbs, meaning you need to sweep the floor and
that is just a no go area.

Lakeland. They'll deliver a variety of mixes to your door and they do a good
guide thing that holds the bread and catches most of the crumbs.

Old April 28th 06, 03:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

One out of 2000 babies can not digest cows milk properly, I can assure you
that tara isnt in that catagory. 4 years ago the recommendation was no cows
milk before 8months now it is twelve months. All my children have had cows
milk from 6months without any problems, as well as combining
breastmilk(although unless you have extensive experience with babies I
wouldnt recommend it before 8months), I refuse to do formula which stacks on
the weight and creates fat babies. And 15 years ago every baby who wasnt
breast feed had cows milk from birth it was just boiled and watered down.
The only reason they stoped that was because of the 1 out of 2000 that
couldnt digest it.

Cheri

Old April 28th 06, 09:42 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

The only reason they stoped that was because of the 1 out of 2000 that
couldnt digest it.

my understanding was that the reason was that it wasn't complete enough
nutritionally, but I may be wrong

Cheers

Anne

Old April 28th 06, 10:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Jake_Mysterio wrote:

One out of 2000 babies can not digest cows milk properly, I can
assure you that tara isnt in that catagory. 4 years ago the
recommendation was no cows milk before 8months now it is twelve
months. All my children have had cows milk from 6months without any
problems, as well as combining breastmilk(although unless you have
extensive experience with babies I wouldnt recommend it before
8months), I refuse to do formula which stacks on the weight and
creates fat babies. And 15 years ago every baby who wasnt breast feed
had cows milk from birth it was just boiled and watered down. The
only reason they stoped that was because of the 1 out of 2000 that
couldnt digest it.

Where you are, possibly, but here in the UK, every baby who wasn't breastfed
was on powdered formula.

Old April 28th 06, 11:20 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Linz" wrote in message
Jake_Mysterio wrote:

One out of 2000 babies can not digest cows milk properly, I can
assure you that tara isnt in that catagory. 4 years ago the
recommendation was no cows milk before 8months now it is twelve
months. All my children have had cows milk from 6months without any
problems, as well as combining breastmilk(although unless you have
extensive experience with babies I wouldnt recommend it before
8months), I refuse to do formula which stacks on the weight and
creates fat babies. And 15 years ago every baby who wasnt breast feed
had cows milk from birth it was just boiled and watered down. The
only reason they stoped that was because of the 1 out of 2000 that
couldnt digest it.

Where you are, possibly, but here in the UK, every baby who wasn't
breastfed was on powdered formula.

15years ago powdered formula didnt exist, not here in australia anyway.