Don't Use Microwave Ovens!

Old September 24th 04, 09:30 PM
Kurt Ullman

I tried it 47 times, and was perfectly consistent. I think I could
repeat this over and over, and get the same results forever. I've had
sensitivity training (evident from my posts here), and to me,
microwaved water seems warmer than non-microwaved water.

You can easily fake the effect with a gas oven or a traditional electric
oven

Or even a stove or lowly hotplate.

Kurt (So, does that mean we are up to $5 million between us?) Ullman

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the
ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
Old September 25th 04, 07:18 PM
CWatters

"Mr. 4X" wrote in message

3. Radiation could leak if the door doesn't close completely (this can
happen only if the door is damaged or blocked by a cloth or something).

Unlikely even then. Most have a clever mechanical switch to prevent power
being applied unless the door is closed AND latched. If you try and shut the
door with anything thicker than say paper in the way it;s not possible to
turn it on.

I've just taken my microwave apart and had a good look at the door switch.
Its very clever. The lock is designed so that when you push the button to
open the door it turns off the power well before the mechanical door lock
even starts to move. There is then a second switch that opens and only then
does the door open move. It's simply not possible for the microwave to be
switch on with the door open or even with the door firmly closed and the
latch itself open.

Old September 26th 04, 08:21 PM
magnulus

Microwave radiation isn't ionizing, which means it doesn't cause the kind
of damage to cells that would cause cancer. It's potentially dangerous
because it can cook something from the inside out, as Air Force experiments
on dogs showed quite well back in the 60's (also why you should never try
and dry out your dog or cat in a microwave, just like the urban legend).
But that's why they have safety interlocks on the doors. You know, you
could get into the same kind of trouble sticking your head into a convection
oven at 450 degrees...

I bet if you stuck a glass of water outside a microwave with a thermal
probe in it, you wouldn't detect the water going up in temperature even a
tenth of a degree.

Old September 27th 04, 02:11 AM
HLE

"magnulus" wrote in message

I bet if you stuck a glass of water outside a microwave with a thermal
probe in it, you wouldn't detect the water going up in temperature even a
tenth of a degree.

Unless you compensate for evaporation, it would go DOWN.
2.45GHz leakage from any design-to-code, non-malfunctioning microwave oven
approaches zero. And squacube shows that the water had best be only
centimeters from a leak in order to be affected.

Old September 29th 04, 10:32 PM
Mr. 4X

"CWatters" wrote in message
:

"Mr. 4X" wrote in message

[...]

It's good that newer models have better safety mechanisms.
Old September 30th 04, 05:01 PM
CWatters

"Mr. 4X" wrote in message

It's good that newer models have better safety mechanisms.

Actually it's 12 years old - I only took it apart because it finally
expired.