Treadmill for a child

Old August 5th 03, 08:28 PM
Howard Sage

Default Treadmill for a child

My son is age 11 and his pediatrician has suggested he use a treadmill
to help with elevated cholesterol and trigylceride levels.

Does any one have experience in buying a treadmill for this age child
and any suggestions as to which treadmills--especially for a small
space--are safe and reliable?

Thank you in advance.

Howard Sage

Old August 6th 03, 05:51 AM
toypup

"Howard Sage" wrote in message
My son is age 11 and his pediatrician has suggested he use a treadmill
to help with elevated cholesterol and trigylceride levels.

Does any one have experience in buying a treadmill for this age child
and any suggestions as to which treadmills--especially for a small
space--are safe and reliable?

Treadmills are kinda boring for a kid, couldn't he suggest something more
interesting for excercise? How about swimming? My brother had high
cholesterol levels since junior high and swimming was recommended for him.
I think just about any type of aerobic excercise would be good.

Old August 6th 03, 03:31 PM
chiam margalit

Howard Sage wrote in message ...
My son is age 11 and his pediatrician has suggested he use a treadmill
to help with elevated cholesterol and trigylceride levels.

Does any one have experience in buying a treadmill for this age child
and any suggestions as to which treadmills--especially for a small
space--are safe and reliable?

A close friend of mine has a 12 YO son with quite a serious weight
problem, and he's been using a treadmill for about 6 months now. It
HAS helped quite a bit. He uses a regular treadmill that they keep in
their basement level of a split level home. They had the treadmill
before he started his exercise program, so he's using the treadmill
his mother bought for herself. It does fold up, but I don't know the
brand. I don't think you need to make any different choices in your
purchase because of your child's age. At 11 he's probably the size of
a small adult woman anyhow, or at least close to it. I'd look at
Consumers and see what they recommend for the features you're looking
for, and go with that model.

As far as safety, as long as your child understands that this is not a
toy and he's not to play on it, it should be fine. Simple safety like
not wearing loose clothing and wearing shoes are common sense issues.
As far as reliability goes, again look at Consumers and see what they
recommend.

My friend's son watches his favorite TV shows while doing his
treadmill time, and he doesn't actively complain, so this must be
enough incentive. Kids can also read and walk at the same time, if
your son is a reader.

Good luck!

Marjorie
Old August 6th 03, 09:29 PM
Daye

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 04:51:43 GMT, "toypup" wrote:

Treadmills are kinda boring for a kid, couldn't he suggest something more
interesting for excercise?

What happened to going for a walk? It is a lot more interesting than
a threadmill.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old August 6th 03, 10:08 PM
Daye

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:50:56 GMT, user wrote:

At least where I live, there are wimps who think that -20F
windchills are a reason not to go walking. ;-)

Well, obviously, they are not hardcore enough.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old August 7th 03, 03:20 AM
Wendy Marsden

Howard Sage wrote:
My son is age 11 and his pediatrician has suggested he use a treadmill
to help with elevated cholesterol and trigylceride levels.

Does any one have experience in buying a treadmill for this age child
and any suggestions as to which treadmills--especially for a small
space--are safe and reliable?

My children use a small-scale treadmill that isn't motorized - it moves
when they move - at a "kid-fit" room at our local Y. It is part of a
circuit training setup with scaled-down nautilus weight machines and other
small-scale cardio equipment; a rowing machine, healthrider and exercise
bike.

They mostly hate it.

My daughter would MUCH prefer to lift free weights with me and get her
exercise through karate and swimming.

My son would MUCH prefer to play in the yard or go for walks with our dog.

So my advice would be to a.) exercise WITH the kids and b.) get the kid a
dog.

Wendy
Old August 7th 03, 10:47 AM
Cindy Kandolf

Daye writes:
| What happened to going for a walk? It is a lot more interesting than
| a threadmill.

I can see several reasons why a kid might be willing to use a
treadmill but not take a walk. If he has weight problems, he might be
afraid that other kids will ridicule him if they see him out walking.
It might be he lives in one of those nasty suburbs with no sidewalks,
or a neighborhood where gangs rule, where walking isn't even
necessarily safe. And a treadmill, or any kind of indoor exercise, is
in a place where it doesn't rain or snow, it's never freezing cold,
and might even be in air conditioning. (My dad's supposed to walk
daily because of a heart condition. He prefers to walk outdoors, but
he has a treadmill at home as back-up in case of bad weather.)

Besides, for an exercise-adverse kid, being able to watch TV while
walking on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike might make the
"medicine" easier to swallow. Ya gotta start somewhere.

- Cindy Kandolf, mamma to Kenneth (9) and Robby (3)
****** Bærum, Norway
Bilingual Families Web Page:
http://www.nethelp.no/cindy/biling-fam.html

Other crt rules child abuse investigation unconstitutional Doug General 8 August 15th 03 03:04 PM
Can I ask Kane.... Kane General 0 July 31st 03 05:52 AM
'Horrible' Home Kane General 1 July 16th 03 02:29 AM
(New Mexico) PARENTS SUE EX-SOCIAL WOKER [email protected] General 0 July 4th 03 06:25 AM