going out to work vs motherhood dilema

Old March 29th 04, 11:39 PM
Cathy Kearns

Default going out to work vs motherhood dilema

"workerbee" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:55:00 EST, "Tracey"
wrotE:
Housing, education, health care and insurance cost many multiples of
what they did 20 or 40 years ago. Houses in my city which went for
$15,000 in the 1960s cost $80,000 today. (I'm talking about the same
house, not similar houses)

There was a neighbor on my street that used to go to open
houses in the neighborhood and gasp in amazement, and
giggle. You see, he bought his house in the late 50s, for
$22,000. He died last year, and his kid sold his house
for $1.6 million. He must have been laughing heartily
up in heaven.

Old March 29th 04, 11:39 PM
H Schinske

wrote:

Housing, education, health care and insurance cost many multiples of
what they did 20 or 40 years ago. Houses in my city which went for
$15,000 in the 1960s cost $80,000 today. (I'm talking about the same
house, not similar houses.)

According to
http://minneapolisfed.org/research/data/us/calc/ , that means
they've probably gone down in price, depending on when in the 1960s you're
talking about. $15,000 in 1965 dollars is $89,190.48 today.

--Helen

Old March 30th 04, 02:08 AM
Circe

H Schinske wrote:
wrote:
Housing, education, health care and insurance cost many multiples
of what they did 20 or 40 years ago. Houses in my city which went
for $15,000 in the 1960s cost $80,000 today. (I'm talking about
the same house, not similar houses.)

According to
http://minneapolisfed.org/research/data/us/calc/ ,
that means they've probably gone down in price, depending on when
in the 1960s you're talking about. $15,000 in 1965 dollars is
$89,190.48 today.

OTOH, in my part of the country (Southern California), the house my parents
bought for $18,000 in 1964 would now sell for something in the neighborhood
of $400,000. There is a small addition to it, but that's not enough to
account for the massive increase in value (according to that site--very
cool, BTW--it should only be worth 108,755). My own house, purchased in
2000, appears to be worth a full $325,000 more than it should be.

SoCal real estate is nuts...
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [2] mom)

Old March 30th 04, 02:09 AM
Elizabeth Gardner

In article ,
(H Schinske) wrote:

wrote:

Housing, education, health care and insurance cost many multiples of
what they did 20 or 40 years ago. Houses in my city which went for
$15,000 in the 1960s cost $80,000 today. (I'm talking about the same
house, not similar houses.)

According to
http://minneapolisfed.org/research/data/us/calc/ , that means
they've probably gone down in price, depending on when in the 1960s you're
talking about. $15,000 in 1965 dollars is $89,190.48 today.

But then there's the house I grew up in, which my folks bought for
$40,000 in 1960 and which recently sold for upwards of a million.
Granted, it's in a neighborhood that's ever so much more fashionable now
than it was then, but even so, I'd expect to pay at least $700,000 for
it almost anywhere around here. (Well, not me--it's a little out of our
range, even with two incomes.)

Old March 30th 04, 04:30 PM
workerbee

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:39:58 EST, (H Schinske)
wrotE:

wrote:

Housing, education, health care and insurance cost many multiples of
what they did 20 or 40 years ago. Houses in my city which went for
$15,000 in the 1960s cost $80,000 today. (I'm talking about the same
house, not similar houses.)

According to
http://minneapolisfed.org/research/data/us/calc/ , that means
they've probably gone down in price, depending on when in the 1960s you're
talking about. $15,000 in 1965 dollars is $89,190.48 today.

Yeah, my neighborhood took a hit in the last few years. It's because
I live in the city in a high unemployment area. The same house, in a
nearby suburb, would go for $20K to $30K more depending on the suburb.

Old April 3rd 04, 01:04 AM
abacus

Scott wrote in message . ..
Abi wrote:

Many thanks everyone for your advice - I can see how salaries dont go
as far today as they used to in the past.

I think part of the reason is that people think they *need*
all sorts of things that they really only *want*. A frugal
couple (not us :-D ) can live on one income. You just have
to choose what is most important to you.

While I'll agree with this statement to some extent - i.e. the part
about choosing what is most important to you - I don't think it's
simply a matter of being 'frugal' in order to have one parent stay
home with a young child.

I think you have to consider exactly what sorts of sacrifices may come
up. Is a decent retirement fund a 'need' or a 'want'? Is health
insurance a 'need' or a 'want'? Is living in a low crime neighborhood
with good schools a 'need' or a 'want'? These are sorts of sacrifices
that young parents without good-paying jobs are faced with in our
society.

If having a parent stay at home full-time with young children is more
important than those things, then yes, it's possible to do without
them and live on one income. On the other hand, if such things are
considered 'needs' that cannot or should not be neglected, then no, it
may not be possible to live on one income no matter how 'frugally' one
lives.

Wife wants to work Jamie General 76 May 19th 04 03:38 PM
| | bobbaloo was Kids should work... Kane General 0 December 15th 03 05:01 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
Kids should work. LaVonne Carlson General 22 December 7th 03 05:27 AM