OT- IUD question

Old May 10th 04, 08:22 PM
Jennifer and Robert Howe

Default OT- IUD question

I have a regular IUD a Copper T to be correct and for the first month I had
slight discomfort in my stomach but I also had a C-section so it could have
been from that also even though my GYN waited 6 weeks to put it in. I have
heard a little discomfort is normal in the beginning. The only problems I
have had with my IUD is not getting my monthly visitor for 3 months.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
I'm going in next week to get an IUD (Mirena) iserted. (Mostly to control
irregular bleeding, but the contraception part is handy too.)

My gyn told me to take a couple of Advil about an hour before I go in,

which
should minimize the discomfort from the insertion.

What about afterwards? Can I expect to be uncomfortble for a while

afterwards,
or is it all over when it's over? (Just trying to figure out my work

schedule
for next week!)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

(either remove spamblock or change address to to

e-mail
reply.)

Old May 11th 04, 12:49 AM
Sabine

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
I'm going in next week to get an IUD (Mirena) iserted. (Mostly to control
irregular bleeding, but the contraception part is handy too.)

My gyn told me to take a couple of Advil about an hour before I go in,

which
should minimize the discomfort from the insertion.

What about afterwards? Can I expect to be uncomfortble for a while

afterwards,
or is it all over when it's over? (Just trying to figure out my work

schedule
for next week!)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

(either remove spamblock or change address to to

e-mail
reply.)

I have a CopperT and I had it inserted in February 2001. It was very minor
having it inserted, although he did end up pinching my cervix and causing
some bleeding. I had it inserted while I was still bleeding from giving
birth(well..spotting really) and that continued for another week. I was
crampy a little and the spot where he hurt my cervix throbbed for a few
days. I could have gone to work, no problem. Three years later, my only
complaint is it causes crazy heavy fast periods that are just major flood
alerts. (TMI? Hope it helps, I've thought of trying one instead of this
one, but if I hate it, my insurance wont pay for another one for 2 years.

Sabine

Old May 14th 04, 12:22 AM
Naomi Pardue

I found the insertion to be pretty painful (the midwife said, "oh, it
won't be like labor contractions or anything." Hah! It was exactly
like labor contractions.) Once it was in, though, I had very little
discomfort - mild cramping for 2 or 3 hours. That was it.

Well, I had it done this morning. And this seemed to have been my experience.
It hurt quite a lot putting the damn thing in (though actually the 'sounding
the uterus' part hurt a lot more than the insertion), and I've have some minor
intermittent cramping since then. (And quite a lot of bleeding... she said I'd
probably spot for a few days.)

She said that my uterus is quite tilted, so she had some trouble getting it in.
So I don't know how painful it would have been for a woman with a 'normal'
uterus. It didn't seem to take very long really. (About 10 minutes from the
time she walked in until I was done, I think.)

The biggest pain though was learning, when I arrived, that I would have to pay
for it upfront, ($600+), and then, if the insurance company decides to
negotiate the cost downwards, they'll send me a refund. (I have a deductable,
so I'd be paying for it anyway, but I'd kinda figured that, as with most
largish medical bills, I could pay it a little at a time over a few months.)

Naomi
Old May 14th 04, 02:19 AM
Sabine

[...]

I have found that insurance doesn't pay nearly enough for IUDs. My Dr. flat
out refuses to do them at his office because he's not allowed to balance
bill for them and he can't get the few he needs for what the insurance will
reimburse him. I went to the local health department to get mine cheaper.
I think they do more business and buy in quantity I ended up paying a $45
office visit copay for 10 years of BC..right on!

Sabine

Old May 14th 04, 06:05 AM
Naomi Pardue

I went to the local health department to get mine cheaper.
I think they do more business and buy in quantity I ended up paying a $45

I had initially looked into getting it at Planned Parenthood (where I go for my
routine gyn care). They would have charged me much less. But they didn't have
the Mirena.

Naomi

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
Intro, and Toddler/Daycare Question Betty Woolf General 4 December 3rd 03 03:25 PM