Formula Milk

Old May 13th 04, 10:35 PM
Sophie

Default Formula Milk

In the first place, a newborn should *Never* be given water.

True.

Constipation is not usually a problem with formula, but I guess
it could be.

Yes it is. "With iron" formulas have done that to all 3 of my children.

You don't say what your breastfeeding problems are,
but if you post your difficulties in misc.kids.breastfeeding,
I'm sure the moms over there can give you some tips to overcome
them. If you could breastfeed more and get rid of the formula,
that would be the best thing for the baby, but it is something
will will need help for mothers who have succeeded in order to
avoid and overcome problems.

Good luck,
Larry

Old May 14th 04, 12:59 AM
Larry McMahan

Sophie writes:
: In the first place, a newborn should *Never* be given water.

: True.

: Constipation is not usually a problem with formula, but I guess
: it could be.

: Yes it is. "With iron" formulas have done that to all 3 of my children.

Thanks for the clarification.

Larry
Old May 14th 04, 03:56 AM
Marie

On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:23:29 -0400, "Donna"
wrote:
"Marie" wrote in message
.. .
Blind trust in doctors does damage to babies and children.
Doctors recommend that you stop breastfeeding for any and all reasons,
including the baby being "too old for that" at 10 months old. Doctors
give antibiotics to appease the parents, or in case the parents want
the child to have them. Doctors give C-sections because they are tired
of waiting on the baby to come naturally.

Do you think you could consider modifying your statements with *some*, as in
*some* doctors do X? It's far from the truth for all MDs, or even the vast
majority. In general, blanket statements make the utterer look like s/he
has an agenda, not an opinion.

Sorry. I didn't say *all* doctors, so I wasn't even thinking of it
that way. It is like if I said "People walk their dogs." Not *all*
people walk their dogs. I will remember this next time )
Out of all the mothers I know in my area, none of their pediatricians
promote breastfeeding, or let anyone's labour go even to 24 hours with
no problems,...doctors I described are normal here. A friend's mother
is a PA and I talked to her about antibiotics once and she said
usually parents demand antibiotics, whether the Dr. thinks the child
needs it or not so it's prescribed (in her network).
Marie
Old May 14th 04, 04:25 PM
Bóliath

Sophie wrote:

In the first place, a newborn should *Never* be given water.

True.

Why?

Old May 14th 04, 05:01 PM
Sophie

"Bóliath" wrote in message
Sophie wrote:

In the first place, a newborn should *Never* be given water.

I didn't say that, but I did say....

True.

This.

Why?

If the baby is having formula it's made with water, first of all. It gets
all it's nutrients from formula. Water will fill it up and do nothing else.
I've had 2 babies in hot climates (Cuba and California desert) neither one
ever needed water for anything - certainly not for constipation.

Sophie
#4 due July 7, 2004

Old May 14th 04, 05:09 PM
Fer

Bóliath wrote:
||| True.
|| Why?

One: because it fills the baby up with empty calories and with such rapid
growth at that age high calorie food is so very important. Secondly it can
be dangerous see below.........
"A recent study involving 1677 mothers and babies found that although 25
percent of the mothers surveyed offered their babies water, this type of
supplementation is unnecessary, and may be dangerous to an infant,
especially one under four weeks of age. Water supplementation in an infant
can lead to oral water intoxication. When this happens, the sodium in his
bloodstream becomes so diluted that the baby's body is unable to function
properly. This can result in an altered mental state, abnormally low body
temperature, bloating, and even seizures (Archives of Pediatrics and
Adolescent Medicine. 1997;151:830-32)."

HTH--?

Jenn
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-34 weeks!

Old May 14th 04, 05:40 PM
Bóliath

Sophie wrote:
"Bóliath" wrote

If the baby is having formula it's made with water, first of all. It gets
all it's nutrients from formula. Water will fill it up and do nothing else.
I've had 2 babies in hot climates (Cuba and California desert) neither one
ever needed water for anything - certainly not for constipation.

Thanks for that, I was wondering if water was bad for them or something :c)

Old May 14th 04, 05:41 PM
Bóliath

Fer wrote:
Bóliath wrote:
||| True.
|| Why?

One: because it fills the baby up with empty calories and with such rapid
growth at that age high calorie food is so very important. Secondly it can
be dangerous see below.........
"A recent study involving 1677 mothers and babies found that although 25
percent of the mothers surveyed offered their babies water, this type of
supplementation is unnecessary, and may be dangerous to an infant,
especially one under four weeks of age. Water supplementation in an infant
can lead to oral water intoxication. When this happens, the sodium in his
bloodstream becomes so diluted that the baby's body is unable to function
properly. This can result in an altered mental state, abnormally low body
temperature, bloating, and even seizures (Archives of Pediatrics and
Adolescent Medicine. 1997;151:830-32)."

Wow it can be bad for them - thanks for that Fer!

Old May 14th 04, 06:11 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Bóliath wrote:

Thanks for that, I was wondering if water was bad for them or something :c)

It can be. Too much water will mess up their electrolyte
balance and cause water intoxication, which can cause seizures
(or even death, in extreme cases).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 15th 04, 02:57 PM
Sue

Bóliath wrote in message
Thanks for that, I was wondering if water was bad for them or something

:c)

Water is bad for them. It messes up their electrolytes and kidneys if too
much water is given. Only formula or breastmilk should be given to a baby
until solids are introduced.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Infant Milk Formula Nike Pregnancy 12 May 4th 04 12:17 AM
formula fed, 9 month old baby girl refuses bottle. Low weight gain ur General 6 March 12th 04 04:26 PM
Problem with powdered formula joe smith Pregnancy 21 February 16th 04 04:35 PM
Baby won't accept breast milk bottle after attempting formula - help! dejablues General 9 December 24th 03 10:12 AM
working link to Today's Parent article Corrine Pregnancy 4 September 22nd 03 05:39 PM