How to start an in-home preschool

Old November 29th 07, 07:00 AM posted to misc.kids
toto

Default How to start an in-home preschool

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:53:18 -0500, Ericka Kammerer
wrote:

If, by the way, you end up choosing to use a bleach spray,
you should be aware that they're not talking about 100 percent
bleach.

In fact, the bleach is a 10% solution or at least it was when I worked
in daycares.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old November 30th 07, 10:39 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Just to clarify, I would be working with children between the ages of
3 - 5 1/2. It would be a half day preschool program in the mornings.
Three days a week would be for the 4 and early 5 year olds. Two days
a week would be for the 3 and early 4 year olds.

I have an Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education, I have a Pre-
K certificate/licensure and 11 years experience working in preschools/
day care centers. I have never had a preschool in my home, so I am
trying to gather information on how to get started. If anyone knows
of some websites that would be helpful/informative it would be greatly
appreciated!!! I am not a computer person, but my husband and two
teenage sons swear by the internet.
Old November 30th 07, 10:46 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Nov 30, 4:39 pm, wrote:
Just to clarify, I would be working with children between the ages of
3 - 5 1/2. It would be a half day preschool program in the mornings.
Three days a week would be for the 4 and early 5 year olds. Two days
a week would be for the 3 and early 4 year olds.

I have an Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education, I have a Pre-
K certificate/licensure and 11 years experience working in preschools/
day care centers. I have never had a preschool in my home, so I am
trying to gather information on how to get started. If anyone knows
of some websites that would be helpful/informative it would be greatly
appreciated!!! I am not a computer person, but my husband and two
teenage sons swear by the internet.

As several people mentioned, the regulations differ by state, so you
need to say what state you are in for someone to recommend a relevant
web site.
Old December 1st 07, 03:53 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

wrote:
Just to clarify, I would be working with children between the ages of
3 - 5 1/2. It would be a half day preschool program in the mornings.
Three days a week would be for the 4 and early 5 year olds. Two days
a week would be for the 3 and early 4 year olds.

I have an Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education, I have a Pre-
K certificate/licensure and 11 years experience working in preschools/
day care centers. I have never had a preschool in my home, so I am
trying to gather information on how to get started. If anyone knows
of some websites that would be helpful/informative it would be greatly
appreciated!!! I am not a computer person, but my husband and two
teenage sons swear by the internet.

What you have got to find is your state's licensure
rules. You can usually find those on the 'net, but it depends
on the state. There really isn't any substitute for that
information.
You also need to do your *LOCAL* market research.
What's demand like compared to supply? What are families
expecting in your area? Will you be able to sell a 3-day
program for 4s/5s? Many families expect 4-5 day programs
at that age. In fact, you might find that there is a shortage
of 4-5 day programs for 4s/5s and that you would do much
better to offer that instead of both a 2-day 3's program and
a 3 day 4s/5s program. (Frankly, I think 2-day programs are
very difficult and wouldn't want to deal with it myself.)
What sort of curriculum do you want, and is it consistent
with what the families in your market want? What can you
offer that makes your preschool uniquely attractive? Or
is supply so short in your area that all you have to do
is look credible, gain licensure, and hang out a shingle?
You have to plug into your local preschool scene
to really make sound business decisions. There are often
state or regional organizations that will help people like
you set up a daycare or preschool, especially if there's
a shortage of daycares and preschools.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old December 1st 07, 06:02 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Nov 30, 9:53 pm, Ericka Kammerer wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I live in Ohio. How do I do "Local" market research? How do I find
state and regional organizations that would help me get started and
make sound decisions?
Old December 1st 07, 06:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Dec 1, 12:02 pm, wrote:

I live in Ohio. How do I do "Local" market research? How do I find
state and regional organizations that would help me get started and
make sound decisions?

Regarding regulations, not market research, Googling "daycare license
Ohio" leads to an informative page from the state government
http://jfs.ohio.gov/cdc/page2.stm .
Old December 1st 07, 08:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

In our area we have a Childcare Resource and Referral agency. My impression is
that they're fairly widespread. Search on "childcare" and "referral" for your
area - you might even find something in the phone book.

But this is a need that has been widely recognized and may already exist for
you.

Banty

Old December 2nd 07, 12:07 AM posted to misc.kids
cjra

On Nov 28, 1:12 pm, Beliavsky wrote:
On Nov 28, 1:02 pm, "Donna Metler" wrote:

"Beliavsky" wrote in message

On Nov 28, 11:11 am, toto wrote:

Depending on the ages you want to serve, you may
have to have specific equipment for changing children's diapers.

What is wrong with changing them on the floor, as many parents do?

Daycare providers have much more strenuous rules as far as sanitation and
safety than most people actually follow at home, and diaper changing comes
with a list of rules that most parents simply don't follow at home with
their own child.

Thanks to you and Akuvikate for the information. If someone has a web
site suggesting sanitary procedures that parents should follow at home
when changing diapers, I am interested. So far I gather that I ought
to have a separate changing table and to spray bleach on it after each
use.

If you're only changing one kid, then it's not so much of an issue.
The risk of infection is to any other members in the household, but if
they only person on that changing table is one baby, the risk is low
if the changer washes his/her hands after every changing.

The health dept recommends a changing table/pad be used, and hands
washed after each use. Apart from that, a bleach solution is not
necessary when at home. It's different for daycares where multiple
kids will be using the same location and place their hands where other
kids' poop has been.
Old December 2nd 07, 08:26 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

wrote:
[...]

Search online for "Ohio" and "daycare license" or
similar terms. Ask around at local preschools for information
on local events where preschool directors get together. Look
for local continuing education opportunities in early childhood
education--you'll find lots of folks with information there, and
they can help you hook up with the relevant agencies. Conferences
will often have workshops on how to start up a preschool and so
forth. Your state government will have an agency responsible
for licensure. Once you find out what it is, contact them and
they can probably put you in contact with other resources. Someone
probably maintains a list of local preschools. See if you can find that.
It's not that doing the legwork is easy--it does take
some work, and the problem is that agencies and such have
different names and work differently in different states, so
it's hard to give very specific information. Once you find
*something* and start reeling in the thread, though, you'll
likely find a whole lot more.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old December 3rd 07, 01:05 AM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 06:23:19 -0800 (PST), wrote:

1. Will I need a permit or permission from the city I live in to open
this type of business in my home?
2. What are some good ways to advertise?
3. When should I start advertising to get students for the 2008-09
school year?
4. Will I need special or extra house insurance to cover the
preschool? If so, what type?
5. How much do I charge per student?
6. Any and all tips/suggestions are appreciated!!! - Thanks

After you look at your local licensing he

http://www.daycare.com/states.html
http://www.daycare.com/ohio/

Try he
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=41697
http://www.educationbug.org/a/starti...ool-group.html

Read this book and related books:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Start-Home...825908-8112967

Join some preschool groups and ask there.
There are plenty of yahoo groups where preschool teachers and
directors exchange ideas. Several of the teachers on preschool.edu
started their own preschools.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

For 16-year-old Ollie, the past is a blur. Since becoming a wardof the state 12 years ago, he's moved from foster home to foster home, familyto family, group home to group home. fx Spanking 0 July 27th 07 07:06 AM
Start Your Own Profitable Internet Business From Home Duke Twins & Triplets 0 February 6th 07 09:37 PM
(628) Now you can start your own home based business for just $20 Munmun Breastfeeding 0 November 19th 06 08:00 AM
At-Home Preschool stasya General 11 August 3rd 05 01:18 AM
Helping Yourself and your kids health should start at home Kids Health 2 September 28th 04 04:00 PM