Double Stroller Advice...

Old October 17th 04, 09:55 PM
Jamie Clark

Default Double Stroller Advice...

Ladies,
I think I gave away my copy of Baby Bargains...so if you all could reference
your copies, and give me your practical experience, I'd appreciate it.

I'm looking for a double stroller. I may have access to a side to side
jogger stroller from a friend in a few months, so am considering a regular
front/back type, rather than another side to side. I'd like to be able to
put the car seat on top and then have two kids in it regular style when they
are old enough. I NEED a large storage basket, and like to have cup
holders, both for me and for the kids. It doesn't have to be super light,
and I have a good amount of storage space in my SUV. In fact, the stroller
would live in my car, and only be used while shopping. It should be simple
to fold and unfold. I prefer wide wheels for ease of use, and I like a
single bar handle for one handed operation.

For a single stroller, we used BB and decided on one brand (although I
forget which) and then when we went to the store to "try them on, we decided
on the Combi Perfect Match. We've been very happy with it.

So, what have you guys used, and why did you like it, or not. Any and all
feedback welcome!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old October 18th 04, 06:21 AM
Kelly

I had a side by side Maclaren and it was just fine. There were not many
side by sides at the time (1996), but I still wanted one. I have always
thought the stroller with the toddler standing option sounded neat, unless
the toddler became tired or wanted to eat/drink while sitting.

Although a double jogging stroller is perfect for going for walks and to the
park, it is a bit of a monster to go shopping with.

What is Baby Bargains?

Good luck and have fun stroller shopping.
Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
[...]

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,

Password:
Guest
Password

Old October 18th 04, 08:51 AM
Anne Rogers

I can't help as the brands are very different over here, though I did find a
very good website which seemed to have pictures of all the buggies available
over the entire world, but silly me didn't bookmark it and I've not been
able to find it again, I'll have another look later...

Old October 18th 04, 11:26 AM
karlisa

Jamie,

We, too, are looking for a double stroller for Mick and baby boy. The one
we seem most interested in is the Graco Duo Glide, but partially because it
will accommodate the snug ride bucket carrier that we have left over from
when Mick was a newborn. I don't particularly care for the side-by-side
models, as they look cumbersome to push through the store aisles. I watched
a woman in a department store with one of those and she seemed to have a
hard time avoiding hitting the hanging clothes racks. It would be nice to
have a jogging double stroller as well to keep at home to take them on
walks, but I don't see us getting 2 strollers. I am interested to read the
replys, as we have not settled on anything as of yet.

lisa
micksmom
27 months old
baby boy 2 due 2-8-05

Old October 18th 04, 09:43 PM
Beach mum

"Kelly" wrote
I had a side by side Maclaren and it was just fine. There were not many
side by sides at the time (1996), but I still wanted one. I have always
thought the stroller with the toddler standing option sounded neat, unless
the toddler became tired or wanted to eat/drink while sitting.

The only thing against the Maclaren (and why I have to sell mine) is that E
doesn't like leaning back. She likes sitting up resting her hands (i.e.
holding herself up) using the bar in the front, which Maclaren strollers
don't have. So, she's miserable in the Maclaren. OTOH, I only know a few
other babies like this so she's in the minority, but I did want to bring it
up just in case.

I just purchased a front/back Peg Perego (used) and will use that until the
new baby is out of the infant seat. Then we'll buy the Combi side-by-side,
which is highly recommended by BB and by friends of mine with two kids. It's
narrow enough to go through a doorway and has cup/snack holders for the
kids. OTOH, I highly doubt it has much basket space since our single Combi
has the smallest basket I've ever seen.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old October 19th 04, 03:31 AM
Jamie Clark

All,
Thanks for all the input on the strollers. I schlepped dh, MIL, Taylor and
Addie in her carseat to the nearest BabiesRUs, about 30 miles away. We had
lunch and made it an afternoon. We tried on several different varieties.
At first I was getting really anky -- the isles weren't as open and wide as
you need to test a single stroller, not to mention double, plus, unbeknownst
to me, the front wheels of all of the front/back strollers were locked, so
they were very hard to push forward, and wouldn't turn at all. I was
getting madder and madder at the stupid stroller designers, and becoming
more and more convinced that I would therefore have to get a double wide
stroller, which I really didn't want. Then, dh noticed that there was a
lock, and presto, the strollers were a breeze to push and maneuver! Doi!

Anyway, basically, our infant car seat fits on nothing. : ( It's a
Century SureFit or something like that. We bought it for Taylor, and
specifically chose it because it goes up to 22 lbs instead of only 20. We
figured we'd get the extra use out of it if she was a larger baby. It's in
perfectly fine condition, although the padding does seem a little thin.
Anyway, because it's bigger than the average infant car seat, it really
doesn't fit on any of the double strollers that we saw. Based on all other
factors, including ease of fold and unfold, features, steering and overall
looks, we've decided to go ahead and purchase the Graco DuoGlider Travel
System (stroller and car seat package). So, Addie will get a new car seat
out of the deal. And looking back on it, I did find that around 18-20
pounds, Taylor was way too heavy to carry in the seat -- I could pack her in
the seat directly onto my stroller, but couldn't hardly heft her and the
seat around. And, towards the end, before she was really ready to move to
the next seat, I did just lift her out of the seat and leave it in the car.
So, the smaller seat won't be the end of the world.

We didn't pick it up at the store today, because we wanted to check online
to see if we could get it at a better price. We did find it cheaper a few
places, but by the time you add shipping and tax, it was basically the same
price. So, Rob will swing by BRU on his way home from work next Monday, and
we'll have it then.

We also looked at toddler beds, and have been thinking about twin beds, and
what we're going to do next with Taylor. When looking at the toddler beds
(something that I never really wanted nor planned to purchase), Taylor
walked right up and lay on the bed. It was just her size, and it was so
cute to see her there. But, we remembered that we bought the converter set
for our current crib. I think we'd been planning on putting Addie in
Taylor's crib, and upgrading Taylor. Now, we're thinking of converting
Taylor's crib to a toddler bed, and borrowing a crib from someone, or
finding one at a second hand store real cheap. When Addie is ready to move
to a toddler bed (in about 2 years), Taylor will be ready to move into a
twin bed. We'd been thinking of getting 2 twin beds for the girls to share
a room, and this gives us a few years to keep our eyes open for good deals,
including finding old or antique ones and refinishing them, painting them,
or just finding the right set. Anyway, that's the current plan!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old October 19th 04, 03:32 AM
Jamie Clark

Baby Bargains is a great book that lays out everything that you need and
really don't need when you have a baby, and which ones are the best. It
helps you realize that you don't need to purchase a high chair before your
baby is born : ). I highly recommend it. It's like a consumer reports for
baby stuff. What's good, what's a waste of money, what's boloney.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old October 19th 04, 05:41 AM
Kelly

aha, thanks! That sounds like a good idea, especially before a #1.

Kelly

Old October 19th 04, 12:36 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Jamie Clark wrote:

*front/back type, rather than another side to side. I'd like to be able to
*put the car seat on top and then have two kids in it regular style when they
*are old enough. I NEED a large storage basket, and like to have cup
*holders, both for me and for the kids. It doesn't have to be super light,
*and I have a good amount of storage space in my SUV. In fact, the stroller
*would live in my car, and only be used while shopping. It should be simple
*to fold and unfold. I prefer wide wheels for ease of use, and I like a
*single bar handle for one handed operation.

I think you've just described the Graco DuoGlider pretty well
I got mine when my was 2 yrs old and my daughter was born, and we still
use it occasionally now that he is 4 and she is 2 (like when we go to the
zoo, because he gets really tired from all the walking, it's a big zoo
). I'm actually now suddenly reminded that I need to google for one of
those buggy boards for him to stand on so that he can still ride on it
after the new baby comes

-h.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old October 19th 04, 10:21 PM
Beach mum

"Jamie Clark" wrote
Baby Bargains is a great book that lays out everything that you need and
really don't need when you have a baby, and which ones are the best. It
helps you realize that you don't need to purchase a high chair before
your
baby is born : ). I highly recommend it. It's like a consumer reports

for
baby stuff. What's good, what's a waste of money, what's boloney.

"Kelly" wrote
aha, thanks! That sounds like a good idea, especially before a #1.

I just bought a second copy (newer edition) for #2 so that we don't make
some of the same mistakes that we did for #1. We need a few new things
(crib, bedding, infant seat, etc.) and wanted the latest information for
when we go shopping. I figure the extra $14 or so is well worth it if I get
stuff that is high quality, useful and doesn't cost an unreasonable amount.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Double stroller half-life and logistics Laurie Pregnancy 18 September 12th 03 11:49 PM
Double stroller half-life and logistics Laurie Pregnancy 0 September 11th 03 04:16 AM
double stroller toypup General 5 July 27th 03 05:41 PM
double stroller advice needed Robert Huwe Pregnancy 1 July 17th 03 02:31 PM
double stroller advice needed Robert Huwe Twins & Triplets 1 July 17th 03 02:31 PM