craving for salt

Old October 16th 04, 08:00 PM
Irrational Number

Jo wrote:

Irrational Number wrote:

Does a severe craving for salt mean that I
am missing some nutrients? [...]

Anita, is pastrami a kind of salami?? If so, it is not recommended in
pregnancy due to the risk of listeria...

I checked on a couple of websites and I don't
think pastrami is salami... Pastrami is thin
slices of meat and salami is sausage-like...
I do eat the sandwiches hot, though, so I
hope cooking kills the bad buggies.

-- Anita --

Old October 16th 04, 09:41 PM
Amy

I ate a lot of chippies early in pg with DS, before I knew I was pg, for the
same reason. Salty snacks just seem good at curbing nausea. I've even heard
that while quitting smoking when you have a craving it helps to have a lick
of salt, I'm not sure how effective it is, but I recommended it to my
neighbour who is pg and quitting.

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
nk.net...
Does a severe craving for salt mean that I
am missing some nutrients? In the way
that some people who have to chew on ice may
be deficient in iron... I've been very,
very nauseous these past few days and have
had the most horrible craving for salty,
spicy things. I'm usually such a low-sodium
person, it's freaking me out. Today, I've
had THREE pastrami sandwiches. The last
pastrami sandwich I had, I think, was over
five years ago!

-- Anita --

Old October 16th 04, 11:09 PM
Kelly

Salt can really help nausea. When I am quesy, salt helps a bunch. Also,
when I've done endurance events I always eat salt to keep my stomach
settled. If it sounds good, go for it!

Kelly

Old October 18th 04, 05:09 PM
Ilse Witch

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:00:21 +0000, Irrational Number wrote:

I checked on a couple of websites and I don't
think pastrami is salami... Pastrami is thin
slices of meat and salami is sausage-like...

I thought salami was made from cooked meat...
Anyway, pastrami is definitely not the same thing, and I am 100% sure that
pastrami is cooked, so you're OK.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old October 18th 04, 07:57 PM
Elle

Irrational Number wrote in message ink.net...
Does a severe craving for salt mean that I
am missing some nutrients? In the way
that some people who have to chew on ice may
be deficient in iron... I've been very,
very nauseous these past few days and have
had the most horrible craving for salty,
spicy things. I'm usually such a low-sodium
person, it's freaking me out. Today, I've
had THREE pastrami sandwiches. The last
pastrami sandwich I had, I think, was over
five years ago!

-- Anita --

Mmm I also love the salt! When my nausea was really bad I lived on
proscuitto and melon (yes I know it's a deli meat but it is so
delicious.)

There must be some connection between the salt & the nausea, many
women get the craving.

Elle
Old October 19th 04, 02:35 AM
Irrational Number

Ilse Witch wrote:

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:00:21 +0000, Irrational Number wrote:

I checked on a couple of websites and I don't
think pastrami is salami... Pastrami is thin
slices of meat and salami is sausage-like...

I thought salami was made from cooked meat...
Anyway, pastrami is definitely not the same thing, and I am 100% sure that
pastrami is cooked, so you're OK.

That's good to know.

-- Anita --

Old October 19th 04, 02:37 AM
Irrational Number

Elle wrote:

Irrational Number wrote in message ink.net...

Does a severe craving for salt mean that I
am missing some nutrients? =\[...]

Mmm I also love the salt! When my nausea was really bad I lived on
proscuitto and melon (yes I know it's a deli meat but it is so
delicious.)

There must be some connection between the salt & the nausea, many
women get the craving.

Well, after giving totally to the salt craving,
I'm now feeling a bit better. Still nauseous
and hating it (the first time is interesting,
the second time is SO "been there, done that"!),
but happy to have salt!

-- Anita --
who needs block of salt at work

Old October 19th 04, 03:57 PM
Elle

Elle wrote:

Irrational Number wrote in message ink.net...

Does a severe craving for salt mean that I
am missing some nutrients? =\[...]

Mmm I also love the salt! When my nausea was really bad I lived on
proscuitto and melon (yes I know it's a deli meat but it is so
delicious.)

There must be some connection between the salt & the nausea, many
women get the craving.

Well, after giving totally to the salt craving,
I'm now feeling a bit better. Still nauseous
and hating it (the first time is interesting,
the second time is SO "been there, done that"!),
but happy to have salt!

-- Anita --
who needs block of salt at work

Good for you! I don't think increasing your salt intake for a while
will cause any lasting trouble, likely the craving will taper off as
your nausea subsides.

You know what is tasty? A tart apple, like a Granny Smith, with salt
sprinkled on it. That would definitely draw less attention at work
than a salt lick!

Elle
Old October 20th 04, 10:10 AM
Jo

Ilse Witch wrote:
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:00:21 +0000, Irrational Number wrote:

I checked on a couple of websites and I don't
think pastrami is salami... Pastrami is thin
slices of meat and salami is sausage-like...

I thought salami was made from cooked meat...
Anyway, pastrami is definitely not the same thing, and I am 100% sure that
pastrami is cooked, so you're OK.

Even cooked meats are only ok if they've been refrigerated for 24 hours
or less since cooking. That's why deli meats are usually NOT ok, since
they've been in the deli, although refrigerated, for more than the 24 hours.

Jo (RM)
Old October 21st 04, 04:48 AM
Irrational Number

Elle wrote:

You know what is tasty? A tart apple, like a Granny Smith, with salt
sprinkled on it. That would definitely draw less attention at work
than a salt lick!

I HAVE to try that!!!

-- Anita --