How to diagnose the molar pregnancy

Old October 19th 04, 11:22 AM
WhoAmI

Default How to diagnose the molar pregnancy

Hi,all
I am anxious to the answer. My sister just called me and told me her
serum beta-HCG testing result which is about 50,000 mIU/ml and a very
very little vaginal bleeding.she has conception about 10.01 and the
last period is 09.12. But ultrasound says the infant is about 7 weeks
but says nothing about molar pregnancy. Could it be a molar pregnacy or
just twins? I do some searching on the web but found nothing about less
than 1 month conception,and Can it be determined at so early stage?
what further checking should we do ? I am so sad...
I will do consult doctor, but I want to get some information here
first.

Best regards

Michael

Old October 19th 04, 11:34 AM
WhoAmI

forgotten to say
This is her first pregnancy and now she is 29 years old.

Old October 19th 04, 01:09 PM
Anne Rogers

I am anxious to the answer. My sister just called me and told me her
serum beta-HCG testing result which is about 50,000 mIU/ml and a very
very little vaginal bleeding.she has conception about 10.01 and the
last period is 09.12. But ultrasound says the infant is about 7 weeks
but says nothing about molar pregnancy. Could it be a molar pregnacy or
just twins? I do some searching on the web but found nothing about less
than 1 month conception,and Can it be determined at so early stage?
what further checking should we do ? I am so sad...

I think if the ultrasound is saying 7 weeks that is because they have seen a
foetus and measured it, meaning her conception date was wrong. I'm not sure
why she's already had an ultrasound? Though many women know there dates
perfectly a similarly large number are initially shocked to be told there
have got there dates wrong days or even weeks, it's just the way the body
works, ovulation varies from month to month and the time to implantation
varies as well. I'm not sure why you are worried, was there anything the
doctor or anyone said to make your sister concerned? I honestly think that
if the ultrasound tech says 7 weeks than that means 7 weeks, if it was 4
week twins they probably wouldn't see anything, similarly a 4 week molar
pregnancy probably wouldn't show up and if it did it would be obvious.

Old October 19th 04, 02:22 PM
WhoAmI

hi, Anne, thanks for your answer.
I think perhaps I have some wrong ideas about the 7 weeks feotus.
Does 7 wks feotus can be identified or only can estimate the size of
the uterus by unltrasound. if we can only got the size but detailed
inside, I worry about the molar pregnancy because the bigger uterus and
high beta-HCG . And I think the estimation of conception is accurate by
virtual of she had no sex between LMP and 10.01. Any further comment? I
wonder if we can determine about so early stage.

Old October 19th 04, 03:45 PM
Ericka Kammerer

WhoAmI wrote:

hi, Anne, thanks for your answer.
I think perhaps I have some wrong ideas about the 7 weeks feotus.
Does 7 wks feotus can be identified or only can estimate the size of
the uterus by unltrasound.

No, if they said the fetus was measuring 7 weeks, then
they actually saw a fetus and measured it.

if we can only got the size but detailed
inside, I worry about the molar pregnancy because the bigger uterus and
high beta-HCG .

Her beta-HCG isn't high. It's totally within the normal
range for a 7 week fetus.

And I think the estimation of conception is accurate by
virtual of she had no sex between LMP and 10.01.

Remember, the fetus is dated from LMP, not from
conception. A 7 week fetus is only about 5 weeks from
conception, give or take. Also, early ultrasound is
usually quite accurate at estimating gestational age.
Did they see a heartbeat? If so, that's a good sign.
It's not easy to reconcile the timing. If she couldn't
have conceived this cycle before 10/1, then she really
ought to be around 5 weeks pregnant. On the other hand,
if she conceived last cycle (the bleeding might not have
been a period), then I suppose she ought to be more like
9 weeks. On the other hand, if they were reporting
7 weeks counting from conception rather than from LMP,
then 7 weeks would be about spot on for her conceiving
last cycle and having some sort of bleeding rather
than a period on 9/12.

Any further comment? I
wonder if we can determine about so early stage.

It sounds quite unlikely that this is a molar
pregnancy. Ultrasound can usually rule out a molar
pregnancy, even at this stage.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 19th 04, 06:21 PM
Anne Rogers

I think perhaps I have some wrong ideas about the 7 weeks feotus.
Does 7 wks feotus can be identified or only can estimate the size of
the uterus by unltrasound. if we can only got the size but detailed
inside, I worry about the molar pregnancy because the bigger uterus and
high beta-HCG . And I think the estimation of conception is accurate by
virtual of she had no sex between LMP and 10.01. Any further comment? I
wonder if we can determine about so early stage.

As Ericka says, they measure the foetus itself, the ultrasound gives a
reasonably clear picture right through the uterus, think of it as a cross
section. The dates are confusing, but even virtually no sex can lead to
conception, it only needs to happen once! Good luck to your sister, it
really sounds like everything is fine. Was there any particular reason for
such an early ultrasound? My LMP was 2 weeks before hers, but I only found
out I was pregnant yesterday.

Old October 19th 04, 10:41 PM
Pip

I had a partial molar pregnancy last year and it was not diagnosed until 14
weeks (was not spotted at 11 or 12 weeks) It is the placenta that is the
giveaway with a partial or complete molar. It ends up looking like bunches
of grapes. (Just to clarify, with a partial molar (PM) pregnancy you have a
foetus to start with and then the placenta starts to develop abnormally,
with a complete molar (CM)a foetus never develops but you get the abnormal
changes in the placenta) But generally there are other symptoms that go
along with it. i.e. extreme morning sickness, some vaginal bleeding and or
abdominal tenderness.

If it was the scan technician that mentioned the possibility of a PM
pregnancy then hey would have scheduled your sister for another ultrasound
if they couldn't make a diagnosis. If it was the doctor that mentioned it,
then he really has nothing to go by as the beta HCG numbers aren't
particularly high and certainly wouldn't indicate a PM at this stage. If
the idea has come from the fact the foetus is measuring 7 weeks and the
dates don't tally with the last menstral period then I would not worry. The
increase in size of the uterus that can occur in PM pregnancies are due to
the fact the placenta goes into overdrive and grows larger (as it is a
tumour), the foetus itself always measures the normal gestational size that
it should be.

So if your sister has a foetus measuring 7 weeks then she is 7 weeks
pregnant. My guess would be she got pregnant the month before, she had
breakthrough bleeding at the time her period was due (which is common) thus
throwing off her dates.

Does your sister have any follow up appointments? When is her next
ultrasound?

Best wishes
Pip