another expecting the unexpected

Old October 29th 08, 03:22 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Default another expecting the unexpected

I was most sick with #2, both nausea and sickness. I was sick about 4x a
day, which I know isn't bad on the absolute scale, but felt pretty rough at
the time. She was definitely only 1, although I know that twins crossed my
mind too!
Although I was least sick with #3 by a long way, I still found the pregnancy
very hard, it really seemed to drag badly. I put it down to having 2
children to look after.

Well that doesn't fit the genders, iirc you have girl, girl, boy. I
guess I won't read anything into it! I didn't want to find out the sex
before, but this time given it definitely will be the last (I think I'll
get myself snipped!) I want to be able to know which older kid stuff to
get rid of and which to hang on to. Though we had friends last year have
a boy when they had been told to expect a third girl! If for any reason
I do have a scan, it will be tempting to ask, I guess we'll just see how
it goes!

Cheers
Anne
Old October 29th 08, 03:33 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Lol, all my babies had due dates within one week of each other and all
were born in April.

It does seem a lot of people have this experience, with my
grandparents-in-law had 5 children, 4 of them were born on 13,14,18 June
(2 of them were twins) and I have cousins who share a birthday a year apart.

If they took blood to test your numbers then I think the numbers are
really high or double really fast with twins and that might give you
some info. I didn't have any of that - didn't know it was twins
until 20 week scan.

She didn't mention HCG as one of the things she was testing for and I
only had a single test, so I suspect any variation would be accounted
for by normal variation or getting pregnant earlier in my cycle than I
thought (I think this is moderately likely anyway). I don't plan to have
a 20 week scan, research has continually shown they don't improve
outcomes, so for me, unless I become overly anxious that there might be
something wrong that I'd rather know about than not, I prefer to avoid
them to avoid things like worrying about a low lying placenta that it
likely to be a non issue! However, this was my plan last pregnancy too
and I ended up getting multiple scans as I had kidney issues in the 2nd
trimester.

Exciting news. I can live vicariously through you. I'm done but
always long for a little baby! Hmmm - maybe I can trade in a couple of
ornery two year olds, lol.

I'm not sure it will be living vicariously! The next few months are
likely to be pretty challenging even for the best case scenario.
Occasionally women don't suffer a repeat SPD experience, but given I was
never completely better and am already feeling twinges I don't hold out
too much hope. I was also diagnosed with narcolepsy last year, which
deteriorates over time, so before I got pregnant, without medication I
was exhausted, add in pregnancy exhaustion and no medication and we've
got a tricky situation. That kind of exhaustion is playing havoc with my
mood because it feels like I am constantly trying to catch up with
everything and never on top of things. I'll have to discuss again with
my neurologist, it may be that past 12 weeks, it's better to take
occasional doses when I really need it.

Cheers
Anne
Old October 29th 08, 03:35 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Jamie Clark wrote:
Congratulations, Anne! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for smooth
sailing this time round!

Thanks Jamie, I really appreciate that. I think it's unrealistic to hope
for smooth sailing, but there are definitely aspects that could go way
better. A well positioned baby and a spontaneous vaginal birth at 38
weeks would be pretty cool, as would having a normal sized baby, I
wouldn't wish for IUGR, but my none IUGR baby was a bit of a porker,
8lb8oz, which I know isn't enormous, but is bigger than both DH and I
when we were born and that was at 39 weeks, 6 something or 7 something
would be great!

Cheers
Anne
Old October 29th 08, 03:38 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I hang out at http://www.mothering.com/discussions mostly now.

I'd thought about going there, but I was a bit anxious as I thought
taking any medications at all might be frowned upon, it's there that I
find articles about cutting out caffeine for example! (For me, with
narcolepsy, some caffeine is pretty much essential if I'm not taking
other meds). Given I'd also have a c-section for not very clear reasons,
though they are medical I'd not really wanted to get involved somewhere
I might get shot down.

On the other hand I find great articles there and I'm into things like
baby wearing and some kind of cosleeping, so I might fit!

Cheers
Anne
Old October 29th 08, 03:39 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I do check in here fairly often, but it definitely seems to be quite dead
lately... Back when I was pg with DD1 and even DD2, it was bouncing around
here. Tons of activity, people always posting and replying, I even remember
there were lists kept of who was due when. I kind of miss that.

I could start that up if there is interest....
Old October 29th 08, 03:44 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka

Anne Rogers wrote:

I think it's just those third babies. They're ornery ;-)
I was sick as a dog with #3. Never threw up at all with #1 or #2,
but did it a lot with #3 all the way through 20 weeks.

Though didn't you have boy, boy, girl? So gender could have been the
reason? I'm not sure which way round it should be, I've seen convincing
reasons for both!

It could have been, but I'm sticking with the #3
theory ;-) This one has been ornery from the git-go.
Cute, but ornery!

I do believe that there was a study showing a
small excess of girls in pregnancies where the mother
was hospitalized for hyperemesis.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 29th 08, 04:24 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I do believe that there was a study showing a
small excess of girls in pregnancies where the mother
was hospitalized for hyperemesis.

Only a small excess, which can probably be interpreted that it might be
different for different people, based on what hormone they are sensitive
too. I thought most of my sickness in my 2nd pregnancy (girl) was an
indirect consequence rather than a direct consequence of pregnancy, for
example it was more in the 3rd trimester than anywhere else, I think it
may have been pressure on my stomach and me not being able to gauge
fullness accurately and rather than get indigestion it just came back
out again! I do remember being sick in the 2nd trimester too, but it was
often early evening and often with no warning. Nausea wasn't a big feature.

Nausea bothers me more than actually being sick, though the being sick
this time has been worse than last time, I think because I'm often sick
after having had one bite of food, so I'm being sick on an empty
stomach, which hurts! I'd rather be sick with a full stomach any day!

Cheers
Anne
Old October 29th 08, 09:43 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

Anne Rogers wrote:

I'd happily have nursed both of them for much longer, so this time
around it's something I'll be really aiming for, even with DDs
behaviour, I think I could have encouraged it more at times, but I
struggled with positioning her so I didn't tend to feed her if something
else would work when she needed comforting!

Sam was weaned when he was 4... With his sensory issues nursing was
practically the only body contact he tolerated and it was the only thing
to wind him down with when he couldn't go to sleep (5 min nursing vs. 2h
screaming, guess which option I chose ;-) ) or when he fell and hurt
himself...
I don't think I'll be nursing Sara as long simply because she's very
different. But I guess I won't know until she's all done *lol*

So, here's to an easy peasy pregnancy and a super nursing relationship
that lasts as long as you both want it to :-)

cu
nicole
Old October 29th 08, 12:33 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

[...]

I was least sick with #3 who was a boy, which could be gender related. I
even had a couple of weeks where I didn't feel sick 24/7. :-) I also felt
hungry with him, which I didn't with either of the girls!
I've known a couple of people recently who've been told girl when it was a
boy.
Debbie

Old October 30th 08, 01:20 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Stormlady

Congratulations Anne, I hope everything works out well with this pregnancy.
I mostly lurk these days, I just had #2 on Sept 14th.

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I guess that counts as an announcement! Much to our surprise we seem to be
expecting number 3. Over the last few months I finally got to the point
where I was content with not having another child, regardless of happenings
in pregnancy we'd planned to have a gap between 2 and 3 anyway. With a bad
pregnancy and birth for number 2 it took me a long time to process that
number 3 wasn't going to happen, but I eventually swung round and was
starting to feel that actually I didn't want one after a long gap, I was
beginning to enjoy the freedom!

In early September, I joked with my husband that if I got pregnant later
that month, I'd have the same due date as both our previous children, who
were both due on 14th June. I think fate settled things at that point, we
think I must have got pregnant the first time I used a new diaphragm, I
remember checking it was over my cervix when I used it and I'm pretty sure
I used the right about or spermicide, but even used correctly, I know it's
only about 95% reliable. Ironically, I'd made an appointment where I
intended to ask about other more reliable methods, but by then it was too
late!

I'm now 7+1, so it's still early days, but I'm very sick, more than either
of my other pregnancies, so I'm hopeful that it will stick around! Having
had the other two in the UK, I know live in the US, so I've got the system
here to figure out now! I'd investigated it before and had thought that I
would probably not be accepted by a midwife, but it turns out that the
nearest to us are a pair where one is also a natropathic doctor, that
qualification gives them a lot more breathing room in state law as they
can consult her rather than going to an obstetrician and they have taken
me on, which was such a relief. I've explained how there are situations
where I wouldn't take the chance of a vaginal birth and they are happy
with that and keen to work with me to avoid those situations - having had
a severe injury from birthing a posterior baby that didn't turn, I'm not
happy going into labour with anything other than a good position.

This is great news as my biggest fear had been vaginal birth in hospital,
if it's coming out that way then I want to be in water under the care of a
midwife I know, not whichever nurse is assigned and the doctor called at
the very end.

I've already had some bloods drawn and they all came back fine other than
very low vitamin D, I don't know if I've ever had that tested before, I
remember reading somewhere about vitamin D being related to perception of
pain in someway, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I'm
supposed to be taking 5000IU per day. The problem is, I'm sick so often, I
don't know how much stays down!

I'm curious as to the frequent sickness, I was very nauseous with #1, but
only sick twice at 14 and 28 weeks, so not even first trimester. With #2 I
had less nausea and more sickness, but it was right through so it was
probably only a couple of times in the first trimester, right now I'm sick
in the morning on an almost daily basis and occasionally at other times of
day. #1 was a boy and #2 was a girl, so I can't attribute this to the baby
being the opposite sex! Twins did cross my mind, but I'm not rushing to
get a scan to figure that out, though if it continues, I might consider it
as I would find it very reassuring to find out it's only one!

This group is really quiet these days, where else are people hanging out?
I've really valued having people to talk to, but message boards that stick
10 messages per page and have loads of colours and no restrictions about
people putting tickers in their signatures drive me crazy!

Cheers
Anne

Expecting the unexpected...? Eowyn Pregnancy 8 September 22nd 08 03:06 AM
we are expecting you 2Barter08 General 0 March 23rd 08 06:40 PM
Expecting in April 08 [email protected] Pregnancy 4 December 19th 07 06:26 AM
Expecting Critter #2 Pologirl Pregnancy 5 May 24th 05 10:47 PM
We're Expecting... KimandJuan Twins & Triplets 13 October 29th 04 08:20 PM