cat issues

Old October 14th 06, 02:14 AM posted to misc.kids
c.

Default cat issues

Hi all -

We got a sweet cat from the Human Society over a month ago - my kids, 6
and 2 adore her. The problem is, she loves being outside....but we live
in a townhouse setting and the neighbors are complaining about her (she
is *too* friendly, and will enter their houses if the door is open, we
live in a warm climate so people keep doors or screens open to let the
breeze in). A few member of the association 'Board' live nearby and
are the vocal ones about it, as there is a provision barring outdoor
cats that are considered a nuisance. But, when we tried to keep her
inside, she destroyed the screens trying to get out through the slatted
windows - thus, we are either living in a warm climate with all the
slats closed, screens shredded, and a cat that is dying to get out or we
let her out and just wait for a mad neighbor to come over.

I think we should find another loving home for her that can better
accomodate her needs to be outside, but I am worried about how the kids
will react. Any ideas on either how to keep the cat, or how to help the
kids deal with giving her away?? My ideal solution would be to keep her
and allow her free access to the outside, but grumpy difficult neighbors
are making that a near impossibility....

c.
Old October 14th 06, 02:29 AM posted to misc.kids
bizby40

"c." wrote in message
link.net...
Any ideas on either how to keep the cat, or how to help the kids
deal with giving her away?? My ideal solution would be to keep her
and allow her free access to the outside, but grumpy difficult
neighbors are making that a near impossibility....

Look into getting her nails capped. They sell these little rubber
tips that glue on over the nails and keep them from clawing things. I
know you can do it yourself, but you can probably also find someone to
do it for you or show you how to do it the first time. You can also
build her an outside run or get one of those outdoor dog kennels so
that she can have some time outside without bothering your neighbors.

Bizby

Old October 14th 06, 03:12 AM posted to misc.kids
Aula

"bizby40" wrote in message
Look into getting her nails capped. They sell these little rubber
tips that glue on over the nails and keep them from clawing things. I
know you can do it yourself, but you can probably also find someone to
do it for you or show you how to do it the first time.

Do you have to keep reapplying them as they shed the claws?

aula

Old October 14th 06, 03:27 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

c. wrote:

I think we should find another loving home for her that can better
accomodate her needs to be outside, but I am worried about how the kids
will react. Any ideas on either how to keep the cat, or how to help the
kids deal with giving her away?? My ideal solution would be to keep her
and allow her free access to the outside, but grumpy difficult neighbors
are making that a near impossibility....

Is your back yard fenced? A neighbor put in a pet door
to his back yard for his cat, and he has cat-proofed his back
yard fence. There's a sort of netting thing that projects
toward the inside of the yard up at the top of the fence.
So, his kitty can roam around outside, but only in his yard.
It seems to be effective in keeping his cat in.
Hmmm...it looks like this might be what he has:

http://www.purrfectfence.com/info.asp

He has it installed inside of his fence, but looks like it
stands alone if you don't already have a fence.

This page has links to several possible solutions:

http://catnet.stanford.edu/articles/enclosures.html

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 14th 06, 03:46 AM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Aula" wrote:

"bizby40" wrote in message
Look into getting her nails capped. They sell these little rubber
tips that glue on over the nails and keep them from clawing things. I
know you can do it yourself, but you can probably also find someone to
do it for you or show you how to do it the first time.

Do you have to keep reapplying them as they shed the claws?

I have seen cats that were walked on a leash.

You could also use one of those cat mats (if they exist anymore) that give
the cat a mild shock if they get onto furniture, or in your case, onto the
window sill.

Old October 14th 06, 04:09 AM posted to misc.kids
c.

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

c. wrote:

[...]

We have a large patio area - I actually saw the fenceing online but
wondered if it really worked. I will definitely look into it, that
seems like a do-able solution.

Thanks!

c.
Old October 14th 06, 04:36 AM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"c." wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

I would consider having the cat adopted by a family who lives in a more
appropriate setting and getting a house-friendly cat.

Jeff

Old October 14th 06, 01:03 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"c." wrote in
link.net:

I think we should find another loving home for her that can
better accomodate her needs to be outside, but I am worried
about how the kids will react. Any ideas on either how to
keep the cat, or how to help the kids deal with giving her
away?? My ideal solution would be to keep her and allow
her free access to the outside, but grumpy difficult
neighbors are making that a near impossibility....

is there any way you can build her an enclosed outside area?
it will need to be covered or she'll either climb or jump out.
some cats that are used to going out just don't adapt to
indoor only life, in which case you probably should find her a
more rural home.
have you called the Humane Society where you got her & asked
them for ideas? they may be helpful (or not).
if you do decide to rehome her, talk to the kids about how
it's not really safe for cats to be outside in urban areas, as
there are lots of dangers for kitties (vehicles, dogs,
poisons, etc).
and if/when you adopt another cat, make sure it's comfortable
being indoor only.
lee 6 indoor only, 2 outdoor cats
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old October 14th 06, 01:09 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Aula" wrote in
:

"bizby40" wrote in message
Look into getting her nails capped. They sell these
little rubber tips that glue on over the nails and keep
them from clawing things. I know you can do it yourself,
but you can probably also find someone to do it for you or
show you how to do it the first time.

Do you have to keep reapplying them as they shed the claws?

yes, about every 6 weeks. you can also just clip thier nails,
but that's best started when they are kittens. i clip nails on
mine every so often, except Faye. she won't sit still for it.

lee
Old October 14th 06, 02:13 PM posted to misc.kids
bizby40

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Aula" wrote in
:

"bizby40" wrote in message
Look into getting her nails capped. They sell these
little rubber tips that glue on over the nails and keep
them from clawing things. I know you can do it yourself,
but you can probably also find someone to do it for you or
show you how to do it the first time.

Do you have to keep reapplying them as they shed the claws?

yes, about every 6 weeks. you can also just clip thier nails,
but that's best started when they are kittens. i clip nails on
mine every so often, except Faye. she won't sit still for it.

Clipping their nails helps, but won't completely keep them from
clawing. The tips are supposed to work better, but I don't have
first-hand experience with them.

Bizby