On the playground of a northern Colorado Springs elementary school, tag is not "it."

Old August 30th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.scouting.issues,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids,talk.politics.misc
Fred Goodwin, CMA

Default On the playground of a northern Colorado Springs elementary school, tag is not "it."

On the playground of a northern Colorado Springs elementary school,
tag is not "it."

http://www.gazette.com/articles/scho..._article.html/
games_tag.html
http://tinyurl.com/2n5ksw

Springs elementary gives tag a timeout
By BRIAN NEWSOME
THE GAZETTE
August 29, 2007 - 4:05PM

The touch-and-run game and any other form of chasing was banned this
year at Discovery Canyon Campus' elementary school by administrators
who say it fuels schoolyard disputes.

"It causes a lot of conflict on the playground," said Assistant
Principal Cindy Fesgen. In the first days of school, before tag was
banned, she said students would complain to her about being chased or
harassed.

Fesgen said she would hear: "Well, I don't want to be chased, but he
won't stop chasing me, or she won't stop chasing me."

Fesgen said two parents complained to her about the demise of tag, but
she said that generally, parents and children didn't fuss about the
new rules. Running games are still OK, she said, as long as students
don't run after one another.

The Academy School District 20 elementary school isn't the first in
the Pikes Peak region to take issue with traditional recess games.

In 2005, two elementaries in Falcon School District 49 adopted a
structured recess program, Trouble-Free Playground, that did away with
games like tag in favor of alternative activities that cut down on
physical contact. Evans and Meridian Ranch elementaries said the
program encouraged more students to play games and helped reduce
playground squabbles.

Nationally, several schools have done away with tag and other games
because of the accidents and arguments they can lead to. It's a trend
that has rankled some parents and childhood experts who say games such
as tag contribute to children's social and physical development.

Fesgen, who has supervised playgrounds for more than 20 years, said
this is not the first school where she's restricted chase games. She
still believes in free play. Students can run races and run around
with friends, she said.

"There is plenty for them to do," she said.

DETAILS

In 2005, two elementaries in Falcon School District 49 adopted a
structured recess program, Trouble-Free Playground, that did away with
chasing games in favor of other activities that cut down on physical
contact. Evans and Meridian Ranch elementaries said the program helped
reduce playground squabbles.

Old August 30th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.scouting.issues,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids,talk.politics.misc
[email protected]

On Aug 30, 8:39 am, "Fred Goodwin, CMA" wrote:

In 2005, two elementaries in Falcon School District 49 adopted a
structured recess program, Trouble-Free Playground, that did away with
chasing games in favor of other activities that cut down on physical
contact. Evans and Meridian Ranch elementaries said the program helped
reduce playground squabbles.

I almost get a chuckle out of this.

Short of basically any physical-fitness benefits of recess, I don't
see how recess itself could be retained under this kind of formula.

Maybe they should just ban recess.

Mike

Old August 30th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.scouting.issues,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids,talk.politics.misc
Stephanie[_2_]

"Fred Goodwin, CMA" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

This seems like a lovely teachable moment on how to get along like decent
people.

Old August 30th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.scouting.issues,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids,talk.politics.misc
deezknutz

The touch-and-run game and any other form of chasing was banned this
year at Discovery Canyon Campus' elementary school by administrators
who say it fuels schoolyard disputes. - hide quote -

What utter idiocy this is. This is typical of exactly *why* American
kids have evolved into such whiny, poorly socialized creampuffs. Why
don't these **** poor teachers actually attempt to help the children
solve their own disputes? Attempting to remove all situations that
cause disputes will only further cripple these children's ability to
address thier disputes.

"It causes a lot of conflict on the playground," said Assistant
Principal Cindy Fesgen. In the first days of school, before tag was
banned, she said students would complain to her about being chased or
harassed.

What a catagorically lazy ass way to avoid teaching these kids
conflict resolution skills!!!

In 2005, two elementaries in Falcon School District 49 adopted a
structured recess program, Trouble-Free Playground, that did away with
chasing games in favor of other activities that cut down on physical
contact. Evans and Meridian Ranch elementaries said the program helped
reduce playground squabbles. - hide quote -

A "Trouble-Free Playground" sounds like a training ground for adults
who will buckle under the pressure of real life. A human being who's
life lacks common challenges such as conflict resolution is a human
being that will have a stunted social growth rate.

I'm glad I'm not a kid today because adults are screwing them up
royally!

Old August 30th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.scouting.issues,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids,talk.politics.misc
deezknutz

On Aug 30, 10:22 am, wrote:
On Aug 30, 8:39 am, "Fred Goodwin, CMA" wrote:

In 2005, two elementaries in Falcon School District 49 adopted a
structured recess program, Trouble-Free Playground, that did away with
chasing games in favor of other activities that cut down on physical
contact. Evans and Meridian Ranch elementaries said the program helped
reduce playground squabbles.

I almost get a chuckle out of this.

Short of basically any physical-fitness benefits of recess, I don't
see how recess itself could be retained under this kind of formula.

Maybe they should just ban recess.

Mike - hide quote -

Yeah Mike! These are the same dumb-asses that won't allow taking
score in little-league soccer/baseball/etc. "Everyone's a winner!",
they say What a crock of crap!!!! These little *******s never learn
how to *loose* like a competitor should. Congratulate the other guy
and take an honest look at your own performance. It just makes me
want to spit!

Old August 30th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.scouting.issues,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids,talk.politics.misc
deezknutz

On Aug 30, 11:45 am, "Stephanie" wrote:
"Fred Goodwin, CMA" wrote in glegroups.com...

On the playground of a northern Colorado Springs elementary school,
tag is not "it."

http://www.gazette.com/articles/scho..._article.html/
games_tag.html
http://tinyurl.com/2n5ksw

Springs elementary gives tag a timeout
By BRIAN NEWSOME
THE GAZETTE
August 29, 2007 - 4:05PM

The touch-and-run game and any other form of chasing was banned this
year at Discovery Canyon Campus' elementary school by administrators
who say it fuels schoolyard disputes.

"It causes a lot of conflict on the playground," said Assistant
Principal Cindy Fesgen. In the first days of school, before tag was
banned, she said students would complain to her about being chased or
harassed.

Fesgen said she would hear: "Well, I don't want to be chased, but he
won't stop chasing me, or she won't stop chasing me." - hide quotes -

This seems like a lovely teachable moment on how to get along like decent
people.

I'm surprised at your response here Steph!!! 8-O
Especially for a cerebral woman like yourself. (no sarcasm intended
here, at all) How can you learn to work through conflict by removing
the possiblity of it? I'd find it more valuable for my child to face
a conflict and *choose* to resolve it amicably rather than coasting
along never excercsing personal restraint. Interested in your
thoughts...........

Old August 30th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.scouting.issues,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids,talk.politics.misc
marc

deezknutz wrote:

A "Trouble-Free Playground" sounds like a training ground for adults
who will buckle under the pressure of real life. A human being who's
life lacks common challenges such as conflict resolution is a human
being that will have a stunted social growth rate.

I'm glad I'm not a kid today because adults are screwing them up
royally!

" They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you."

Philip Larkin This Be The Verse
Old August 31st 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.scouting.issues,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids,talk.politics.misc
Bob LeChevalier

"Stephanie" wrote:
"Fred Goodwin, CMA" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

That requires enough adult supervision to be able to catch and process
such moments while keeping adequate supervision on the rest of the
playground, knowing that any accident or injury is a potential
multimillion dollar lawsuit.

lojbab
Old August 31st 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.scouting.issues,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids,talk.politics.misc
Stephanie[_2_]

"deezknutz" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That was rather my point.

Old September 5th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.scouting.issues,alt.education,misc.education,misc.kids,talk.politics.misc
David Johnston[_2_]

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 07:54:11 -0500, Texan wrote:

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:31:43 -0700, deezknutz
wrote:

[...]

My unasked for thoughts. If I were the parent of the bully, who took
others lunch money, beat offenders on their way home from school etc.
I might consider those ideas to be wonderfull. If however I was the
parent of the kid who constantly had his lunch money stollen and
constantly came home from school injured by a bully I would feel quite
differant;y.

I'm not sure how banning "tag" would prevent that.