Managed VS natural births

Old December 16th 05, 10:21 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Managed VS natural births

I mentioned a while back that of all the women I know who've had
babies, the only one who didn't receive some kind of medical
intervention at birth was the woman who had the baby at home. Everyone
else was either induced, augmented, c-sectioned, or forcepsed. I
exclude epidurals from the list deliberately (all but the home-birth
friend had them).

I was curious if there are any statistics in the US on exactly how many
natural births occur in hospitals here.

My hospital provides stats on percentage inductions, percentage
c-sections, etc, but doesn't give percentage non-interventions, so I
don't have a realistic idea of how many of their 'patients' get meds to
assist with the birth.

Old December 16th 05, 11:05 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

From many of the unmedicated birth stories that I read here, it seems like
there are always nurses in the background watching with admiration, or
bringing in other nurses to watch, saying things like, "Wow, we don't see
many women go without meds here" -- that type of thing. So it sounds like
it's not as common as having an epidural. I think most women about to give
birth, the "average" woman, is already planning her epidural, and most of
her friends had an epidural. It's just a very very common aspect of
childbirth most places. Not saying good or bad, right or wrong, just
common.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

oups.com...

Old December 17th 05, 12:15 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:
I mentioned a while back that of all the women I know who've had
babies, the only one who didn't receive some kind of medical
intervention at birth was the woman who had the baby at home. Everyone
else was either induced, augmented, c-sectioned, or forcepsed. I
exclude epidurals from the list deliberately (all but the home-birth
friend had them).

I was curious if there are any statistics in the US on exactly how many
natural births occur in hospitals here.

My hospital provides stats on percentage inductions, percentage
c-sections, etc, but doesn't give percentage non-interventions, so I
don't have a realistic idea of how many of their 'patients' get meds to
assist with the birth.

I doubt it, since people vary a lot in what they
consider a "natural" birth. I think nationally, inductions
are around 40 percent now. C-sections are, what, 27 percent?
Augmentation is, I think, higher than induction, but I'm not sure
of the actual number. Instrumental delivery I forget.
And then there are considerations of what other
interventions are acceptable to you: IV? continuous
or intermittent EFM? managed third stage? immediate
cord clamping? And, of course, there's also the question
of how many women are attempting to *achieve* a natural
birth (by whatever your definition is).
I think your best bet to figure your odds of
success is to ask potential caregivers about each
intervention and see a) whether they're fine with
your refusing it (or under what circumstances they'd
be uncomfortable with avoiding it) and b) how experienced
they are with births not using that intervention. If
they're not comfortable with your avoiding the intervention
or if they rarely do births without that intervention,
then that's a red flag.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old December 17th 05, 07:31 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

How about this statistic: how many epidural births end up needing
further intervention (augmentation, induction, c-section, forceps, etc)?

Old December 17th 05, 02:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:
How about this statistic: how many epidural births end up needing
further intervention (augmentation, induction, c-section, forceps, etc)?

Hard to say. Numbers are all over. Epidurals increase
c-section rates in some studies and not in others, but appear
to be especially likely to increase c-section rates if you get
them early in labor or if you're a first timer. They can also
have an indirect effect. Epidurals increase the risk of maternal
fever, which can lead to intervention because it's not known if
the fever is from the epidural or an infection. Epidurals
lessen the likelihood of a good presentation, so they can
make labor longer and more difficult which can lead to
augmentation, instrumental delivery, or c-section. A few studies
found a lower concentration of oxytocin (and other substances)
in the blood of women with epidurals, which can lead to longer
labor (and thus augmentation or other intervention). One
Norwegian study found that half of all nulliparas were
augmented, but it was 85 percent of those with epidurals
and 39 percent of those without. I don't know how
representative that is in the US, but my hunch is that
it's at least that bad.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old December 17th 05, 05:46 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Thanks for that info, Ericka. This seems to correspond to the
anecdotal evidence that I've seen...

Old December 17th 05, 06:58 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:
How about this statistic: how many epidural births end up needing
further intervention (augmentation, induction, c-section, forceps, etc)?

Hard to say. Numbers are all over. Epidurals increase
c-section rates in some studies and not in others, but appear
to be especially likely to increase c-section rates if you get
them early in labor or if you're a first timer.

I wonder if epidurals ever help _avoid_ further interventions?

With my first, I had a "walking" epidural at 7 cm. It allowed me about
half an hour to rest, something I hadn't been able to do for two days
(and nights) beforehand. It wasn't a long rest, but it made all the
difference in the world. I was mildly insane by then, after a very
stressful (although medically dandy) labor. For me -- let me say that
again: for me -- the epidural really helped me get my energy up, and to
focus a bit, for the rest of labor and delivery.

Of course, maybe if I hadn't had an epidural I would've delivered on the
first push. We'll never know.
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, number two, due in April of 2006
Old December 17th 05, 07:28 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I wonder if epidurals ever help _avoid_ further interventions?

in the case when they lower blood pressures, a clear yes

in my 2nd, I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't have got the
epidural when I did, I wasn't just loosing the ability to control things, I
was way past that point, but I was trying, I'd make it through half to
2/3rds of the contraction and then just be way out of control, that out of
controlness was doing me harm, my blood pressure and heart rate were doing
wierd things, as was the babies, so epidural brought those things back
undercontrol, once my obs were normal, hers became normal too. Why I was
completely unable to control things I do not know it was very different from
my first when I was out of control, requested an epidural, then got things
back under control and stayed that way for over an hour, it was potentially
the amounts of pethidine in my system that meant when labour started I just
could not get it sorted, however hard I tried. Had I not got the epidural,
we were both at risk, I don't know what they would have done, but nothing
would not have been an option, it wasn't a case of it just being unpleasant
(which it was) as they kept saying to me, you need to control this, you need
to breath, for the babies sake (and they weren't just using that as a
technique, they were bleeping the doctor too)

Anne

Old December 17th 05, 09:24 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anonymama wrote:

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

[...]

I sometimes wonder if I'd had an epidural and able to rest, if my first
woundnt have ended up a c-section.

Of course, maybe if I hadn't had an epidural I would've delivered on the
first push. We'll never know.

My second (an unmedicated VBAC) had a 3++ hour pushings stage. Hate to
think how long it would have been if I had an epidural!

Mary W.

Old December 17th 05, 09:31 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

My second (an unmedicated VBAC) had a 3++ hour pushings stage. Hate to
think how long it would have been if I had an epidural!

malposition? I had a 2+ hr pushing stage with my 2nd and lots of people said
ooh, she was bigger than your first, true, she was almost 3 pounds bigger,
but the issue was she was posterior and stayed that way, she could have been
a 4lber and still taken a while to get out. I did have an epidural, but it
didn't seem to hinder me, I was squatting at times!

Anne

AL: Court issues history-making decision in child custody case Dusty Child Support 1 August 3rd 05 01:07 AM
Autism, Mercury and the California Numbers Ilena Rose Kids Health 52 July 20th 05 08:04 AM
Attn RNs: Ongoing Obstetric Rape of Birth Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 October 30th 04 12:19 AM
Sad story Plissken Pregnancy 181 July 20th 04 12:14 AM
Midwives & Home birth vs. an OB & hospital ? LSU Grad of '89 Pregnancy 54 October 12th 03 09:26 PM