OBGYNs perform 'chiropractic' routinely - badly

Old April 3rd 06, 04:49 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.health.alternative,sci.med

Default OBGYNs perform 'chiropractic' routinely - badly

Amir and Henry, see below....

Attention: Dr. Uwe Reuter and the German vertebral artery dissection group:

OBGYNs PERFORM "CHIROPRACTIC" ROUTINELY - BADLY...

OBGYNs are closing birth canals up to 30% then pulling/wrenching babies'
spines - sometimes pulling so hard they rip spinal nerves out of tiny spinal
cords...

As OBGYNs pull with hands, forceps or vacuums, they KEEP birth canals closed
the "extra" up to 30%...

OBGYN experts are lying to cover-up. See the Four OB Lies below.

Some babies die, some get paralyzed - most babies "only" have their spines
gruesomely wrenched. (ALL spinal manipulation is gruesome with the birth
canal closed the "extra" up to 30%.)

PREGNANT WOMEN: It's easy to allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up
to 30%.

It's also easy to allow your baby to have an "extra" up to 50% of blood
volume...

See below.

DR. UWE REUTER and the German vertebral artery dissection group call
attention to...

"...36 patients with vertebral artery dissections and prior chiropractic
neck manipulation."
---Uwe Reuter, PD et al.^^^ (J Neurol. 2006 Mar 6; [PubMed abstract, Epub
ahead of print])

^^^Reuter U, Hamling M, Kavuk I, Einhaupl KM, Schielke E; for the German
vertebral artery dissection study group.

OPEN LETTER (archived for global access; see below)

Dr. Uwe Reuter et al.
German Vertebral Artery Dissection Group
Charite-Universitatsmedizin Berlin
Dept. of Neurology
Schumannstr. 20-21, 10098
Berlin, Germany
Via

Uwe,

By studying adults, you may have missed the majority of cases of vertebral
artery dissection following "chiropractic" neck manipulation.

Because OBGYNs sometimes pull so hard on tiny spines that they rip spinal
nerves out of tiny spinal cords, such "chiropractic" manipulation by OBGYNs
may be causing vertebral artery dissections in babies...

Please help me stop them.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo
Hillsboro, Oregon
USA

PS Uwe,

Henry Dorn, MD, OBGYN contacted me to say my concerns are "well founded."

Days later, Amir Khan MD contacted me to suggest that he and I might
co-author an article about obstetricians possibly causing vertebral artery
dissections.

I am all for articles, but frankly, I am surprised that Henry and Amir are
not using the child protection statutes to stop the massive obstetric
crimes.

MY RESPONSES TO HENRY AND AMIR APPEAR BELOW FOLLOWING THESE SYMBOLS #####...

From: Todd Gastaldo
CC:
," "

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 17:42:39 -0700
PREGNANT WOMEN: OBs are closing birth canals up to 30% and robbing babies
of up to 50% of their blood volume.

To allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30% and to prevent the
baby blood robbery.

See THE SOLUTION below.

ARE OBSTETRICIANS CAUSING "CHIROPRACTIC SYMPATHECTOMY"?

Amir M. Khan, MD et al. claimed they reported the fourth case in history of
a condition they labeled "chiropractic sympathectomy" - carotid artery
dissection and oculosympathetic palsy following cervical manipulation.

See Khan et al.^^^ Mt Sinai J Med. 2005 May;72(3):207-10.
http://www.mssm.edu/msjournal/72/723207.shtml

^^^ Khan AM, Ahmad N, Li X, Korsten MA, Rosman A

Amir M. Khan, MD
VA Medical Center
130 West Kingsbridge Road
Bronx, NY 10468

Amir,

Thank you for reporting the fourth case in history of carotid artery
dissection and oculosympathetic palsy following cervical manipulation.

You labeled it "chiropractic sympathectomy" - but it is possible that some
(most?) cases might be labeled "obstetric sympathectomy"...

I say this because MD-obstetricians senselessly close birth canals up to 30%
(use semisitting and dorsal delivery) as they pull with hands, forceps
and/or vacuums - sometimes pulling so hard they rip spinal nerves out of
tiny spinal cords.

MD-obstetricians are lying to cover-up their bizarre birth-canal-closing
behavior.

See the Four OB Lies in the postscript.

In 2003, Robertson and Pettigrew suggested an MD-obstetrician caused a fifth
case of carotid artery dissection following cervical manipulation...

J Neuroimaging. 2003 Oct;13(4):367-70. PubMed abstract

"Congenital" Horner's syndrome and carotid dissection.
Robertson WC, Pettigrew LC.
Department of Neurology, Chandler Medical Center, University of Kentucky,
Kentucky Clinic (Wing D) L445, Lexington, KY 40536-0284, USA.

The authors describe a child presenting with Horner's syndrome after the
repeated application of birthing forceps to the head and neck during vaginal
delivery. Magnetic resonance imaging and angiography confirmed that the
proximal right internal carotid artery (ICA) showed injury caused by
dissection. Carotid duplex and transcranial ultrasonography provided
supporting evidence of distal right ICA occlusion with the development of
intracranial collaterals. The authors interpret these findings to indicate
that the child suffered a traumatic dissection of the distal right ICA to
mimic "congenital" Horner's syndrome (CHS). In a review of English medical
literature published since 1972, the authors found 70 cases of CHS, none of
which was attributed to carotid dissection. This case demonstrates that
carotid dissection is an underreported cause of CHS.

Amir, I liked your conclusion:

"Patients, chiropractors and physicians should all be aware of potential
neurological adverse outcomes following cervical manipulation."
--Khan et al. Mt Sinai J Med. 2005 May;72(3):207-10.
http://www.mssm.edu/msjournal/72/723207.shtml

Regardless which profession is causing the majority of cases of carotid
artery dissection, I hope you will join me in calling for an immediate end
to the bizarre birth-canal-closing/gruesome spinal manipulation habit of
MD-obstetricians.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo
Hillsboro, Oregon

Copied to: Robertson and Pettigrew via

PS THE FOUR OB LIES

OB LIE #1. After MASSIVE change in the AP pelvic outlet diameter was
clinically demonstrated in 1911 and radiographically demonstrated in 1957,
the authors of Williams Obstetrics began erroneously claiming that pelvic
diamaters DON'T CHANGE at delivery.

OB LIE #2. After Ohlsen pointed out in 1973 that pelvic diameters DO
change - the authors of Williams Obstetrics began erroneously claiming that
their most frequent delivery position - dorsal - widens the outlet.

OB LIE #3. After I pointed out in 1992 that dorsal CLOSES - and so does
semisitting - the authors of Williams Obstetrics - put the correct
biomechanics in their 1993 edition - but kept in their text (in the same
paragraph!) - the dorsal widens bald lie that first called my attention to
their text...

OB LIE #4. OBs are actually KEEPING birth canals closed when babies get
stuck - and claiming they are doing everything to allow the birth canal open
maximally. (ACOG Shoulder Dystocia video - also forceps and vacuum births
are performed with the mother in lithotomy.)

See Make birth better: Dan Rather, before you leave CBS...

I noted some of the OB lies in an Open Letter to the FTC years ago...
http://home1.gte.net/gastaldo/part2ftc.html

RELEVANT AMA PRINCIPLES OF MEDICAL ETHICS....

"[AMA physician[s] shall...strive to expose those physicians...who engage in
fraud or deception."

"[AMA p]hysician[s] shall...seek changes in those requirements which are
contrary to the best interests of the patient."

"[AMA p]hysician[s] shall...make relevant information available to patients,
colleagues, and the public..."
http://www.psych.org/psych_pract/eth...nions53101.cfm

Relevant quote from the AMA website:

"[P]hysicians must strive to ensure patient safety and should play a central
role in identifying, reducing, and preventing health care errors. Ã, This
responsibility exists even in the absence of a patient-physician
relationship."
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/11968.html

AMA physicians are ignoring their own stated ethics - babies be damned.

MASSIVE BABY BLOOD ROBBERY

Retired obstetrician George Malcolm Morley, MB ChB FACOG
indicates that OBs are robbing babies of up to 50% of their blood volume.

This is happening to EVERY CESAREAN BABY, according to Dr. Morley:

"ACOG's routine treatment (B138) of these depressed neonates is immediate
cord clamping to obtain cord blood pH studies. The child's only
functioning
source of oxygen - the placenta - is amputated together with 30% to 50+% of
its natural blood volume. Total asphyxia is imposed until the lungs
function, and the depressed (asphyxiated, hypovolemic) child starts its
extra-uterine life in hypovolemic shock... B138 was first published in 1993.
Every cesarean section baby, every depressed child, every premie, and every
child born with a neonatal team in
the delivery room has its cord clamped immediately to facilitate the
panicked rush to the resuscitation table. The current epidemic of
immediate
cord clamping coincides with an epidemic of autism...For the trial lawyers,
it is essential that the 'true genesis' of cerebral
palsy remains unknown, because that 'true genesis' (B.138) is a standard of
medico-legal care..."
http://www.cordclamping.com/acog-cp.htm

In cases where the baby MUST be
resuscitated after birth - I am still wondering why pediatricians have to
sever the baby's access to blood and oxygen and rush baby across the room to
resuscitate. Why can't neonatal resuscitation stations be designed so
that
mother and baby can be wheeled underneath (or between) with baby's natural
oxygenation/transfusion device still intact? No one has answered this
question.

My thanks to Canadian Grandmother Donna Young for calling my attention to
the immediate cord clamping mass child abuse.

A GOOD SIGN: Oregon Health & Science University/OHSU - Oregon's only
medical school - stopped promoting immediate cord clamping and
birth-canal-closing/semisittin g delivery online
after I complained.

OHSU's link to the misinformation is now dead - or rather - one is re-routed
www.ohsuwomenshealth.com...

See Birth child abuse: Oregon's only medical school (OHSU)

(If anyone can find a page where OHSU is still promoting immediate cord
clamping and birth-canal-closing/semisittin g delivery, I would like to know
about it.)

PREGNANT WOMEN: By using semisitting and dorsal delivery, OBs are closing
birth canals up to 30%. Also, when babies get stuck, OBs KEEP women
semisitting and dorsal - they KEEP the birth canal closed the "extra" up to
30% as they pull with hands, forceps and vacuums. ANOTHER PROBLEM: By
immediately clamping cords, OBs are temporarily asphyxiating babies and
robbing them of up to 50%
of their blood volume - see the astonishing quote from Dr. Morley above.

THE SOLUTION:

1. To allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%,
simply roll onto your side as you push your baby out - BUT BEWARE - some OBs
will let pregnant women "try" alternative delivery positions - but will roll
them back to semisitting/dorsal - close their birth canals the "extra" up to
30% for the actual delivery. Talk to your OB.

2. To allow your baby to have the "extra" up to 50% of blood volume, do
not
let the OB or midwife clamp the umbilical cord until it has stopped
pulsating and your baby is pink and breathing and not in need of
resuscitation.

NOTE #1: Allowing the birth canal to open the "extra" up to 30% will not
prevent all episiotomies or c-sections or forceps/vacuum use - but OBs have
no business closing
birth canals the "extra" up to 30% in the first place.

NOTE #2: There are rare cases where the OB must clamp immediately - but they
are indeed rare. OBs are routinely clamping cords immediately -
routinely
robbing babies of up to 50% of their blood volume. Talk to your OB
today.

Chiropractic boards (licensing bodies) are supposed to be focused on public
health...I
am hoping that state boards of chiropractic and physical therapy will
inform pregnant women of the danger and seek Writs of Mandamus to compel
state medical boards and attorney generals to simply do their jobs and stop
the obvious birth crimes...

See Birth Danger: Cal Chiro Bd - SIMPLE QUESTION
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/3526

I am in favor of pardons in advance for MDs. As medical
students MDs are TRAINED to perform obvious child abuse which sometimes
kills.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo
Hillsboro, Oregon
USA

PREGNANT WOMEN: Scroll up a little for THE SOLUTION.

This post will be archived for global access in the Google usenet archive.

Search http://groups.google.com for "Obstetricians causing 'chiropractic
sympathectomy'?"

From: Henry Dorn
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:44:15 -0500
To: Todd Gastaldo
Subject: An OBGYN replies to Dr. Gastaldo...

Dear Dr Gastldo
Wow that was an unexpected response!

##### You did not expect me to address your concerns?

I expect this personal letter to
you will be posted on the web as well!

##### Yes, it is best to keep things out in the open when mass child abuse
by MDs is being alleged and an MD is failing to use the child protection
statutes to protect children.

I am just sorry that you have such a aggressively negative towards
OBGYN's,

##### OBGYNs are being "aggressively negative" towards babies. I believe
100% of babies about to be born would want the child protection statutes to
be used to protect them from MDs. You apparently think it is MDs who should
be protected...

most of whom sincerely want to do the right thing to help
women, and are just practicing what they have been taught in
accredited schools.

##### If OBGYNs are truly ignorant, upon finding out the truth, they/you
should be SHOUTING at their "accredited schools" - DEMANDING that they STOP
teaching the birth-canal-closing/baby-blood-robbing CRAP they are teaching
to medical students.

There is no question that we (meaning the medical
community, and I include chiropractors) do not know everything about
the human body, and never will.

##### There is no question that OBGYN experts are LYING to cover-up a MAJOR
gaff - routinely closure of the birth canal up to 30%. See the Four OB
Lies, reproduced in this post.

All we can do is the best we can
armed with the information available,

##### Doing the best for babies involves doing the minimum required by law -
reporting child abuse when abuse is so much as SUSPECTED....

which is every expanding and
ever changing.

##### OBGYN experts CONTRACTED - they LIED. See the Four OB Lies,
reproduced in this post.

To label a practice such a delivery in the lithotomy
position, whether right or wrong, as child abuse, implying intent, is
excessive in the extreme.

###### Failure to obtain consent to close the birth canal up to 30% is a
CRIME - battery... The battery extends to babies - with MDs sometimes
pulling so hard they rip spinal nerves out of tiny spinal cords. INTENT IS
NOT NECESSARY FOR PROSECUTORS TO TAKE ACTION IN CALIFORNIA. See quote
above. Other states are probably similar...

That it is done more for the convenience of
the doctor than the comfort of the woman is another issue.

###### LYING has also been done - by doctors - for the convenience of
doctors. It is simply not convenient for doctors to admit the lies and stop
closing birth canals the "extra" up to 30%.

All that being said, I do believe that the American OBGYN community's
attempt to exclude midwifery starting in the early 1900's, primarily
for business reasons, was an abuse of the power granted to them by
their patients.

###### The medical practice acts are the problem. They are abuses of power
granted by legislatures.

Sadly, subsequent generations of US OB's only know
the status quo and are therefore afraid of things like homebirth, out
of ignorance. The international data clearly supports it from both a
health and economic perspective.

##### Prominent homebirth midwives have been aping MDs and promoting closing
birth canals the "extra" up to 30% too.

##### Homebirth midwife Ina May Gaskin advocates keeping the birth canal
closed the "extra" up to 30% as a "first manuever" when babies' shoulders
get stuck - this in an article wherein she discusses allowing the birth
canal to open maximally with a hands-and-knees position!

See Gaskin's Goof (Part 3): The OTHER McRoberts maneuver...

Since I am always trying to learn more, are there any good studies or
articles which compare the outcomes of delivery in the supine or
lithotomy position, versus the side position that you advocate?

##### Henry, I don't advocate for any particular position. Quite simply, I
advocate AGAINST the two positions that close the birth canal up to 30%. You
are, in effect, arguing as Sir Iain Chalmers, MD once argued when he told me
that we shouldn't tell women that MDs are closing birth canals up to 30% and
keeping them closed when babies get stuck - and lying to cover-up. We
shouldn't do this, said Iain, until there are scientific studies showing
benefit to informing women what MDs are doing!

##### If you ever do birth position studies to determine if their is risk or
benefit to closing the birth canal the "extra" up to 30% (and keeping it
closed when babies get stuck), you may have problems enrolling subjects
because you will have to inform women. I submit that damned few women would
want you keeping their birth canals closed the "extra" up to 30% when their
babies got stuck - let alone denying the "extra" up to 30% in the first
place. Just a guess.

Likewise with the timing of cord clamping?

##### Henry, most women don't know you guys are temporarily asphyxiating
babies, forcing them to breathe with their lungs before they are ready - as
you rob massive amounts of blood from them. There are various cord clamping
studies out there. I doubt women were truly informed. Battery has been
occurring en masse.

I reiterate my hope that you will continue your crusade to educate,

##### I reiterate my hope that you will report rather obvious mass child
abuse by obstetricians. Prosecutors in California do NOT require intent
before stopping/prosecuting suspected child abuse. Reports from MDs like
you would be quite helpful so that the child protection statutes could be
used to protect children from MDs finally.

but recommend that you take a less vociferous stance, if you wish to
be heard by those you are trying to reach. Perhaps that is the reason
that I am the first OBGYN to contact you!

##### Actually, the first OBGYN to contact me was Brazil's Moyses Paciornik,
MD. Incidentally, when The Lancet failed to publish Moyses' report of
20,000 squatting deliveries, I urged him to submit his report to the journal
Birth where it was published alongside my letter describing the grisly
birth-canal-closing biomechanics of semisitting delivery. See Gastaldo TD
and Paciornik M. Birth. 1992;19(4):230.

##### Jason Gardosi, MD contacted me in 1991 (IIRC) to tell me that
squatting is "NOT a viable option." (!) (Jason is the Brit who conducted a
"randomised controlled trial of squatting" - where nobody squatted - and The
Lancet published it - after which Samra, Tang and Obrai (sp) did some
cheerleading for it - which is what caused Moyses to submit his letter -
which The Lancet rejected - and which got published in Birth. See above.

##### Norman Gant, MD contacted me in 1993 to thank me for telling his
publisher that he was promoting birth-canal-closing. Norman left his
"dorsal widens" bald lie in Williams Obstetrics when he added the correct
biomechanics I asked him to add! It's still there - in the same paragraph!

I wish you all the best
Henry Dorn

##### Thanks Henry.

##### Please report the obvious mass child abuse by your fellow OBGYNs.

##### As usual, I am in favor of pardons in advance for MDs. As you
indicate, as medical students, MDs are TRAINED to commit the obvious
felonies. (BTW, have you persuaded your medical alma mater to stop the
birth-canal-closing and the baby-blood-robbery - or are you waiting for
outcomes studies? Remember, to do the outcomes studies, you will need to
inform participants that MDs are currently closing birth canals and robbing
baby blood. I guess you won't have to tell them that MDs are lying to
cover-up - but it would help them see through your "scientific" ruse.)

##### Here is the abstract by Uwe Reuter et al. slamming chiropractors for
rather gently manipulating spines (relatively speaking). Meanwhile,
MD-obstetricians GRUESOMELY manipulate spines. ALL spinal manipulation is
gruesome with the birth canal closed the "extra" up to 30%.

J Neurol. 2006 Mar 6; [PubMed abstract, Epub ahead of print]
*
Vertebral artery dissections after chiropractic neck manipulation in Germany
over three years.
Reuter U, Hamling M, Kavuk I, Einhaupl KM, Schielke E; for the German
vertebral artery dissection study group.
Charite-Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Dept. of Neurology, Schumannstr. 20-21,
10098, Berlin, Germany, .
Vertebral artery dissection (VAD) has been observed in association with
chirotherapy of the neck. However, most publications describe only single
case reports or a small number of cases. We analyzed data from neurological
departments at university hospitals in Germany over a three year period of
time of subjects with vertebral artery dissections associated with
chiropractic neck manipulation. We conducted a countrywide survey at
neurological departments of all medical schools to identify patients with
VAD after chirotherapy followed by a standardized questionnaire for each
patient. 36 patients (mean age 40 + 11 years) with VAD were identified in 13
neurological departments. Clinical symptoms consistent with VAD started in
55% of patients within 12 hours after neck manipulation. Diagnosis of VAD
was established in most cases using digital subtraction angiography (DSA),
magnetic resonance angiography (MRA) or duplex sonography. 90% of patients
admitted to hospital showed focal neurological deficits and among these 11 %
had a reduced level of consciousness. 50% of subjects were discharged after
20 +/- 14 hospital days with focal neurological deficits, 1 patient died and
1 was in a persistent vegetative state. Risk factors associated with artery
dissections (e. g. fibromuscular dysplasia) were present in only 25% of
subjects.In summary, we describe the clinical pattern of 36 patients with
vertebral artery dissections and prior chiropractic neck manipulation.

###### One last note Henry. Thanks for contacting Amir - if indeed (as I
suspect) you are the reason Amir contacted me.

###### If Amir is put off (as you are) by my strident call for use of the
child protection statutes to protect children from MD skullduggery and lies
- perhaps you and he can write the article he proposes.

##### Thanks for writing.

##### Sincerely,

##### Todd

Dr. Gastaldo
Hillsboro, Oregon
USA

*

This post will be archived for global access in the Google usenet archive.

http://groups.google.com for "OBGYNs perform 'chiropractic' routinely
- badly"