one side or two

Old February 14th 08, 03:54 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default one side or two

Hi All

I'm back again with bf'ing issues. I'm having the same problem with
ds#2 that I had with ds#1 but I'm wondering if I should be doing
something different.

The problem is that one breast has a slow let-down while the other has
a fast one. The fast one hasn't been an issue up till now, but it's
causing James to gag and splutter and bob on and off the breast during
a feed. I do tilt him up so he is almost on top of the breast to
reduce the slow, but it's tricky at 3am when he's fussing and we are
both cranky. I have been feeding both sides because he never seems to
get enough out of the slow one, no matter how many time I put him
back on it. And he won't sleep unless he's full, so I've been feeding
both sides. I have been starting him on the fast side and then
finishing on the slow, so he drops off. If I finish on the fast side
he's wide awake and refuse to sleep. But now I'm wondering if he's
just not getting enough hindmilk because I am feeding him both sides.
Ds#1 never slept long between feeds so I'm wondering if the hindmilk
issue was the reason why. I did try, as I am with ds#2, to make sure
one side is emptied before I switch, and feeds usually take up to an
hour, but how can I be sure if I am feeding both sides. I do all the
burping and nappy changes to keep him awake mid-boob as he tends to
drift off and just sucks on my nipples which hurts! Still I don't know
if it's the best thing to feed both sides but I can't see any other
way?

Any advice gratefully received.

Jeni

Old February 15th 08, 06:42 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

On Feb 14, 6:54 am, "
wrote:
[...]

Starting on the fast one every time is likely to cause it to produce
even more, while also causing the slow side to produce even less.

You could try starting every time on the slow side. When your baby
runs short of milk, switch to the fast side. When he seems to be
getting full, burp him if it is practical, then switch him back to the
slow side to finish the feeding.

If the fast side is just spraying out milk, you can try latching him
off and catching the milk in a burp diaper until it slows. If he has
just nursed on the slow side, he may be more willing to wait while you
do this.

--Betsy
Old February 15th 08, 06:45 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

wrote:

[...]

You're doing fine. Don't worry too much about the
foremilk/hindmilk thing. As soon as you get a letdown,
baby is getting hindmilk, so I'm sure he's doing fine,
especially if you let him finish on the slow side.

One-hour nursing sessions are normal... Ah, I remember
those days. The 3-week growth spurt for Pillbug, I was
nursing 45 minutes out of every hour for 8 hours
straight! If my mom weren't around, I would have
starved...

-- Anita --