Breastmilk for Pinkeye

Old August 10th 03, 05:57 AM
Corinne

Default Breastmilk for Pinkeye

Hi, all! This last week has been tough for us; DH & I both fought off
a cold bug, but my DD did NOT. She came down with a cold, and had the
nighttime Croupy cough to go with it...we saw the Ped, and she said
it's going around, not to worry, and just to make sure she rested &
got plenty of fluids. Well, I've been taking Mother's Milk Tea &
eating more oatmeal lately to boost my supply, so the "get plenty of
fluids" part wasn't tough for DD - but trying to get a 2 yr old to
rest...Sadly, she felt crappy so she WANTED to rest!!

The Ped also noticed one eye was reddish...we knew it had been
tearing like crazy, but she was sneezing a lot and we thought it was
all related to the cold. Ped says DD has pinkeye, and goes to get me
meds for it. I asked her if I HAD to use the meds, as I'd rather try
Breastmilk - had she heard anything in regards to the efficacy of
said treatment? She hadn't, and was slightly suprised at my
suggestion. She gave me free samples of the eye med, just in case,
and told me good luck with whatever I wanted to do. I LOVE MY PED
OFFICE!!!

So - I wondered, has anyone else here tried the remedy? I have, and
I'm here to say IT WORKS!! All I did was (actually, I'm still doing
it - will for the greater part of this coming week, just to be sure)
express some breastmilk, then use an extra medicine dropper we had
around to put a few drops in her eye a few times a day. The eye
stopped tearing that night, and as of today isn't red/pink anymore -
I'm thrilled!!

:-)

Corinne
APMomma to Brighid, 06/23/01

--
"Since AP parents are accused of "spoiling" their children with
responsiveness, love, understanding, patience, positive interaction,

Old August 10th 03, 04:33 PM
Melissa

If you're coordinated enough, you can actually squirt some milk in her eye
from the source, thereby eliminating the need to clean a dropper. I did that
a few times for DD's tiny eye infection and it was much easier. Plus, it's a
tighter stream so more ended up in her eye and less on the rest of her face.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old August 12th 03, 12:37 AM
Corinne

"Melissa" wrote in message
If you're coordinated enough, you can actually squirt some milk in her eye
from the source, thereby eliminating the need to clean a dropper. I did

that
a few times for DD's tiny eye infection and it was much easier. Plus, it's

tighter stream so more ended up in her eye and less on the rest of her

face.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

"If You're Coordinated Enough" being the key phrase there - Nope, and Nope.
I don't "spray" anyway, I just drip. :-) But thanks!!

Corinne

Old August 13th 03, 02:23 PM
K.B.

Doesn't it burn? Has anyone tried putting it into there own eye to make
sure? I just remember getting it into a cut and it burned.
Kris

Old August 14th 03, 05:31 AM
Corinne

Nope, no burning here - is it possible you got something else in your cut,
along WITH the BM, that might've made it burn? I've put BM on my daughter's
cuts & scrapes since she started GETTING cuts & scrapes, and she's never
said Boo to it...and believe me, if it hurt/stung/burned, she'd've been off
like a shot!! :-)

Corinne

Breastmilk for adults Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 5 May 10th 04 03:35 AM
Infant Milk Formula Nike Pregnancy 12 May 4th 04 12:17 AM
working link to Today's Parent article Corrine Pregnancy 4 September 22nd 03 05:39 PM
breastmilk as a thirst quencher elizabeth emerald Breastfeeding 2 August 13th 03 12:13 PM
IS BABY FEEDING OK? javalearner Breastfeeding 13 July 15th 03 04:35 PM