Diapers: Disposable vs. Service

Old September 22nd 03, 04:04 PM
Sue

Default Diapers: Disposable vs. Service

I'm a disposable gal and have used them for all three children. I don't
particularly like using cloth or handling them or having to wash all the
time. I use disposables for conveniece. As far as cost, I am sure if you
wash your own then it would be cheaper for cloths, but if you are going to
send them out, I can't really see where there is a savings, but I could be
wrong. Cloth diapers are nicer than they used to be, but for me I am sitll
not into them.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Greg Hiscott wrote in message
We are expecting to have our first child in January 2004. Can
anybody provide information regarding the pros and cons to each
of these two diapering methods?

We are interested in first person experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Old September 22nd 03, 07:34 PM
Carolyn Jean Fairman

In article ,
Greg Hiscott wrote:
We are expecting to have our first child in January 2004. Can
anybody provide information regarding the pros and cons to each
of these two diapering methods?

We used a service at the start with ds #1.

I liked using something reusable that wouldn't fester in a landfill,
and we had a service (no washing machine in the condo, just a common
laundry room) so that made it pretty convenient.

They are bigger under clothes. Also, someone kept forgetting to put
the dirty diapers out for the service...

When Julian started daycare, first part time and then full time by 8
months or so, we pretty much had to switch to disposables. Most
daycares only use disposables. We ended up only using the cloth on
the weekends (we used disposables at night in the hopes he would sleep
better not feeling wet) and it wasn't worth it.

With ds #2, who is on the way, we'll just use disposables.

Carolyn

--
Carolyn Fairman
http://www.stanford.edu/~cfairman/

Old September 22nd 03, 09:06 PM
Kevin Karplus

In article , Carolyn Jean Fairman wrote:
When Julian started daycare, first part time and then full time by 8
months or so, we pretty much had to switch to disposables. Most
daycares only use disposables. We ended up only using the cloth on
the weekends (we used disposables at night in the hopes he would sleep
better not feeling wet) and it wasn't worth it.

Both the infant-care (starting at 18 months) and the day
care/preschool that my son went to had no problem dealing with cloth
diapers. It may help that I'm in Santa Cruz, where environmental
issues are important to enough of the population that businesses pay
attention.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz

Old September 22nd 03, 09:28 PM
H Schinske

wrote:

When Julian started daycare, first part time and then full time by 8
months or so, we pretty much had to switch to disposables. Most
daycares only use disposables.

This is quite dependent on region. Around here a number of daycares will do
cloth. The preschool where my twins went was part of a much larger daycare
system for infants up, and they used cloth diapers. I saw the diaper guy coming
in and out regularly with large loads, so it wasn't just a couple of kids who
were in cloth.

There are some hospitals around here that use cloth, too, I believe, though not
the one where I had my son.

I liked diaper service a lot, but as someone else found it was more
cost-effective for twins than for one baby (I have twins and a singleton -- the
twins were pretty much 100% diaper-service-diapered).

I washed my own for a while with my singleton, but it didn't work out very well
due to a combination of factors -- he was still pooping a *lot* when he was
over a year old, which most babies don't, and we had a changing table far from
the toilet and both of them far from the basement where the washing machine
lived. Plus it was an old washing machine and not a very good one. I have a
nice new one now (Fisher & Paykel, if anyone cares) that I think would have
helped a lot, both in getting the diapers cleaner and in cutting the cost of
washing and drying.

I then went back to a diaper service despite the cost.

--Helen