Milk intolerance/allergy in 3 year old

Old March 20th 04, 03:55 PM
laurie

Default Milk intolerance/allergy in 3 year old

Jessica is now on a dairy free trial due to frequent complaints of tummy aches.
She was milk intolerant as an infant but outgrew it around a year. It's only
been 3 days now on the dairy free diet.

She didn't have any dairy at all for two days, and then we had company
yesterday. My SIL gave her a few bites of mac and cheese and some ice cream
while my husband was busy with Christopher, and didn't realize what was going
on (I was at work). Last night and this morning, she had absolutely explosive
diarrhea, poor thing. She's not sick today at all, just what I said above, and
she had nothing different to eat that I can think of. She rarely eats ice
cream, but she's never had a noticeable problem with it before.

What I'm wondering is if being off dairy for just two days could have made her
become so sensitive to having a small amount? Or are we just looking at a
coincidence here? It's just strange, because this has never happened before.
She's been potty trained for 7 months, and never had a poopy accident until
last night.

Also, any dairy free food suggestions welcome. It's very difficult! Has anyone
ever had carnation instant breakfast or the like with water instead of milk?
(I know, I know, Nestle. Sorry, but my kid loves it

laurie
mommy to Jessica, almost 3 years and
Christopher, 10 months
Old March 20th 04, 05:01 PM
Iuil

Also, any dairy free food suggestions welcome. It's very difficult! Has

anyone
ever had carnation instant breakfast or the like with water instead of

milk?
(I know, I know, Nestle. Sorry, but my kid loves it

Try making it with soy milk - I find soy to be much nicer in things like
that.

Jean

Old March 20th 04, 05:03 PM
nina

"laurie" wrote in message

[...]

Carnation instant breakfast without adding milk, is already a dairy product.
I am not sure which milk components are to be avoided, so you may want to
check the ingredient list to be sure.

Old March 20th 04, 05:43 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

I'm afraid Carnation instant breakfast already contains milk. But you
can look in the store for soy-based instant meals. Look in the adult
section, products like Ensure (which I believe comes in a soy version).

There are many other foods your child CAN eat. MacDonald's happy meals
(not cheeseburgers, of course) are a good treat, especially if she's
going to a birthday party and can't eat the ice-cream and cake. Pasta
with ... tomato sauce, meat sauce, a sprinkle of brewer's yeast, or
drippings/sauce from whatever else you're making. Many cereals (read
the labels, though), meats and veggies ....

My web site has some sample "safe" menus, and as time goes by you'll
figure out plenty of other things that your daughter loves. Cook with a
dairy-free margerine, and you'll be able to make almost any kind of
cookie or cake.

Do visit my web site. It has links to several sources of support,
including the no-milk listserv.

Oh, in answer to your other question .. yes, after 2 days of being
completely allergen-free, reintroduction of the allergen CAN produce
more severe symptoms. But it could also be a coincidence.

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old March 20th 04, 07:58 PM
Kereru

"laurie" wrote in message

[...]

I have a friend who gets diaroah from cheese. She's fine with all other
dairy products. She was intolerant to cows milk as a baby too.

Judy

Old March 21st 04, 12:26 AM
Libby Macdonald

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 15:55:49 +0000, laurie wrote:

[...]

Was is soft-serve ice-cream? (which, as you probably know, can be a source
of dangerous bacteria if it is not kept cold enough). Fast food too, may
have been sitting keeping warm for a while. She may have had mild food
poisoning (from bacteria levels that an adult stomach could cope with).
Just an idea - not discounting the possibility of food intolerance at all
(I also know of someone with fairly a extreme reaction just to cheese).
Libby
Old March 21st 04, 01:19 AM
Karen

Ds is allergic, it turns out, to cow dairy, but not goat or sheep dairy.
Just wanted to put that out there as a possibility. As I understand it,
this means he is allergic to the protein in the cows milk, as opposed to
the lactose. After we figured all that out on our own, after many months
of me being nearly vegan while exclusively bf, etc, I happened to
mention it to MIL who said her father was the same. Couldn't consume cow
dairy, but drank goat milk on a regular basis.

That being said, I have found that some cow dairy bothers ds less than
others. Very hard cheeses are much easier for him to digest than very
soft cheeses. So parmeggiano reggiano is fine, but those mozzerlla
string cheese stick things create a 3 day toxic waste hazard. We've also
found a brand of cow dairy from Oregon called Nancy's, which produces
organic cultured (as in containing acidophilous cultures) sour cream and
cream cheese, and ds seems to manage these without a problem (yet
regular cow based yogurt is a problem). At home we use goat cheddar,
goat yogurt, etc. Also good quality Italian cheese stuffed pastas often
contain a blend of cheeses, many of which are sheep cheeses.

There are also soy and rice based ice cream style treats, cheeses, etc.
Get yourself to the biggest health food store you can find and have a
good look around.

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 3/4 and someone due 4/24/04, who I hope will not
have such dietary issues!-

Old March 22nd 04, 02:43 AM
C P

Mix the Instant Breakfast with Soymilk - but READ LABELS, 'cause it's made
with NONFAT DRY MILK. Dairy free is easy enough to do, but it takes
vigilence to read labels and make sure you're eliminating it all! My husband
makes a kick-ass mac & cheese with soy cheese & elbow macaroni. Good luck,
and if you need more help, feel free to email me!

Corinne
APMomma to Brighid, 06-23-01

Old March 22nd 04, 01:17 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Brighid, if your husband made a "kick-ass" mac and cheese using soy
cheese, get suspicious. Read the ingredients in the soy cheese. I bet
it contains some form of casein, perhaps sodium caseinate. Why?
Because casein is what lets cheese melt so nicely. Most soy cheeses
contain casein so that they can have a decent texture.

If he managed to make a soy mac and "cheese" with a truly milk-free
cheese, I'd love to know the recipe!

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.