rash - roseola?

Old October 17th 05, 03:37 PM
Rebecca Jo

Default rash - roseola?

Alexander & I took a nap yesterday from 4 to 5 & when I woke up his cheeks
were all red & rash covered. First I thought it might be because I used a
lotion that had buttermilk in it (we're still not sure exactly what he's
allergic to) but I don't know. I gave him a bath but that didn't help.

The rash on his stomach & chest looks a lot like this:
http://galenslog.typepad.com/galens_...a_1_010422.jpg

but the rash on his face looks sort of like that but more concentrated &
pushed together. so it's like one big piece of red skin. It started on the
left side of his face and over the night spread to the other side of his
face & chin.

Anyone have any experience with this? Anything I can do? It's apparantly
itchy because he woke up several times in the night rubbing his face against
my shirt.

I read on the web that there are two types of dangerous rashes & those
descriptions don't fit this one so I'm not scared. I just wish I could make
him a little more comfortable.

--
Rebecca Jo
Mama to Alexander 6/6/05

Old October 17th 05, 03:54 PM
Michelle J. Haines

Rebecca Jo wrote:

Anyone have any experience with this? Anything I can do? It's apparantly
itchy because he woke up several times in the night rubbing his face against
my shirt.

Roseola starts with viral illness symptoms, and a high fever for 3-4
days. After the fever breaks, the rash breaks out.

Michelle
Flutist
Old October 17th 05, 05:00 PM
Rebecca Jo

"Michelle J. Haines" wrote:

Roseola starts with viral illness symptoms, and a high fever for 3-4 days.
After the fever breaks, the rash breaks out.

Michelle
Flutist

Yeah, I didn't notice a fever at all. He was super cranky the day before but
no detectable fever.

Any idea what the rash could be? Is there anything I can use/give him to
help with the itchiness?

rj

Old October 17th 05, 05:08 PM
karlisa

Could it be Fifth Disease?

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/inf...ral/fifth.html

Hope he feels better soon!

lisa
micksmom
mick 7-12-02
noah 1-24-05

Old October 17th 05, 06:25 PM
Rebecca Jo

"karlisa" wrote:

Could it be Fifth Disease?

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/inf...ral/fifth.html

Hope he feels better soon!

lisa
micksmom
mick 7-12-02
noah 1-24-05

It doesn't look like slapped-cheeks or the pictures of that rash on that
site.

I gave him a bath in some aveeno oatmeal bath stuff. Hope it helps with the
itching. Kind of hard to tell with a 4 month old who can't tell you he's
itching!

Thanks for well wishes!

Rebecca

Old October 17th 05, 06:40 PM
zolwica

Sina had a rash like this one, but it was associated with a fever too.
She had a Three-day-fever (roseola infantum). After outting her on
medication (I want to say anti-histamine) and a fever reducer. It just
faded away.

The rash was so bad, that when I took her to the doctor, he suspected
chickenpox. But as it improved with the medication, he said that it wasn't.

Have your son checked out by a doctor as soon as possible.

Mona

Old October 18th 05, 01:00 AM
Rebecca Jo

"zolwica" wrote:

Sina had a rash like this one, but it was associated with a fever too. She
had a Three-day-fever (roseola infantum). After outting her on medication
(I want to say anti-histamine) and a fever reducer. It just faded away.

The rash was so bad, that when I took her to the doctor, he suspected
chickenpox. But as it improved with the medication, he said that it
wasn't.

Have your son checked out by a doctor as soon as possible.

Mona

I think I'm going to bathe him in the oatmeal bath when it looks like it's
bothering him & just wait for it to go away. If it takes longer than 5 days,
I'll call the doctor. From everything I've read, it's not dangerous to have
a rash as long as he doesn't appear to have breathing problems & it isn't
one of the types of rashes that need a doctor's attention immediately.

Thanks for the advice, though.

rj

Old October 18th 05, 02:07 AM
JennP

"Rebecca Jo" wrote in message

Yeah, I didn't notice a fever at all. He was super cranky the day before

but
no detectable fever.

Any idea what the rash could be? Is there anything I can use/give him to
help with the itchiness?

I'd call the ped. A roseola or fifth's disease rash isn't itchy.

JennP.

Old October 18th 05, 04:01 AM
Rebecca Jo

"Mamma Mia" wrote:

wouldnt be just the teething rash would it?

chris

Nope, I've seen that & it's just on his chin. Wouldn't be all over his arms,
legs, trunk & cheeks.

rj

Diaper Rash Leslie Pregnancy 42 January 25th 05 01:49 AM
Thrush diaper rash? Elana Kehoe Breastfeeding 0 April 6th 04 12:20 PM
strange rash on a 10-month old. please help! C Du General 43 December 9th 03 04:58 AM
strange rash on a 10-month old. please help! C Du Kids Health 40 December 9th 03 04:58 AM
strange rash on a 10-month old. please help! C Du Breastfeeding 46 December 9th 03 04:58 AM