The solids question again!

Old November 2nd 05, 05:49 AM
CY

Default The solids question again!

Man, this seems to be a common theme around here lately...so I am now really
wondering if DS truly does want to try some solids. On Anne's suggestion, I
gave him some cucumber for his poor teeth and he LOVES it. Actually sucks
the juice out of it, he's also sucking water out of the washcloth in his
bath...so I am a bit concerned now that he's not technically "exclusively
breastfed", but also think that he might be ready for some solids.

We went out for lunch yesterday and he grabbed some pita bread out of my
hands and sucked the life out of it, lol. He wails now during dinner time,
and is now grabbing for any food he sees and shoving it towards his mouth
( a new development - maybe 3 days).

I calculated his age in weeks and it looks like he is 23 weeks. How do they
figure the "6 month" thing? Is it 24 weeks or 6 months (eg his birthday was
May 26, so he won't technically be 6 months until Nov 26th, but will be 24
weeks next week). I'm all for waiting, but if he wants it, I don't want to
deny him for no good reason - and is a couple of weeks going to make a
difference, or in your opinions should I wait - or has he already started??
Man, I thought the second time around should be easier, but I know so much
more this time around!!

Thanks for reading my rambling!!

Old November 2nd 05, 10:51 AM
Sidheag McCormack

CY writes:

I calculated his age in weeks and it looks like he is 23 weeks. How do
they figure the "6 month" thing? Is it 24 weeks or 6 months (eg his
birthday was May 26, so he won't technically be 6 months until Nov 26th,
but will be 24 weeks next week). I'm all for waiting, but if he wants
it, I don't want to deny him for no good reason - and is a couple of
weeks going to make a difference, or in your opinions should I wait - or
has he already started?? Man, I thought the second time around should be
easier, but I know so much more this time around!!

6 months is 6 months, not 24 weeks :-) i.e. it's 26 weeks, half a year.
However, nothing magical happens on the half year anniversary of their
birth... He's already started, and in sucking pitta bread, he's been
exposed to wheat, which is one of the major allergens; I assume you don't
have lots of allergies in your family or you'd have worried about this
more, though. I think if I were you I'd probably carry on with the things
he's already had, and maybe go on with some non-allergenic vegetables and
fruits if you want to, but I'd avoid introducing any other major allergens
for now.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old November 2nd 05, 11:13 AM
Sue

I think you are over-thinking this and if a child wants solids and is ready,
you should give him something. Nothing magical happens at six months. It is
just a guideline. Personally, I would go by the baby and not the date on the
calendar.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 2nd 05, 12:33 PM
Chookie

In article GzX9f.532387$xm3.258238@attbi_s21, "CY" wrote:

Man, this seems to be a common theme around here lately...so I am now really
wondering if DS truly does want to try some solids. On Anne's suggestion, I
gave him some cucumber for his poor teeth and he LOVES it. Actually sucks
the juice out of it, he's also sucking water out of the washcloth in his
bath...so I am a bit concerned now that he's not technically "exclusively
breastfed", but also think that he might be ready for some solids.

I don't htink mine's exclusively BF any more either. He's been pulling grass
and clover out of the lawn and putting it in his mouth. Haven't seen any come
out the other end yet though.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old November 2nd 05, 12:39 PM
Mamma Mia

wrote:

Man, this seems to be a common theme around here lately...so I am now
really
wondering if DS truly does want to try some solids. On Anne's
suggestion, I
gave him some cucumber for his poor teeth and he LOVES it. Actually
sucks
the juice out of it, he's also sucking water out of the washcloth in his
bath...so I am a bit concerned now that he's not technically "exclusively
breastfed", but also think that he might be ready for some solids.

I don't htink mine's exclusively BF any more either. He's been pulling
grass
and clover out of the lawn and putting it in his mouth. Haven't seen any
come
out the other end yet though.

LOL . he might think he is a dog or a cow

Old November 2nd 05, 02:42 PM
Nikki

CY wrote:
[...]

I probably wouldn't put so much thought into it ;-) Give him some very easy
to digest solids and see what he does. Once Luke started hollering for food
at the table for two weeks I finally gave in a bit before 6 months. I
couldn't really believe he was hungry because my first self-delayed solids
for such a long time. I started with mild things like sweet potatoe and
stayed with those types of things for longer then I might have. He loved it
and I felt a bit bad for holding out on him for two weeks ;-)
--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old November 2nd 05, 03:43 PM
JennP

"CY" wrote in message

I calculated his age in weeks and it looks like he is 23 weeks. How do

they
figure the "6 month" thing? Is it 24 weeks or 6 months (eg his birthday

was
May 26, so he won't technically be 6 months until Nov 26th, but will be 24
weeks next week). I'm all for waiting, but if he wants it, I don't want

deny him for no good reason - and is a couple of weeks going to make a
difference, or in your opinions should I wait - or has he already

started??
Man, I thought the second time around should be easier, but I know so much
more this time around!!

Thanks for reading my rambling!!

You are way overthinking it. If he acts like he wants food, feed him. If
he doesn't then he'll let you know.

JennP.

Old November 2nd 05, 03:44 PM
JennP

"Chookie" wrote in message

I don't htink mine's exclusively BF any more either. He's been pulling

grass
and clover out of the lawn and putting it in his mouth. Haven't seen any

come
out the other end yet though.

LOL. Once he eats some dirt it will all pass through.

JennP.

Old November 2nd 05, 05:40 PM
zolwica

I think it is not by 6 months, but rather by the signs your child gives
you. Your son seems to be ready to eat solids. Besides, he's already had
some solids.

Old November 2nd 05, 05:41 PM
zolwica

LOL thanks for a good laugh

Chookie wrote:
In article GzX9f.532387$xm3.258238@attbi_s21, "CY" wrote:

Man, this seems to be a common theme around here lately...so I am now really
wondering if DS truly does want to try some solids. On Anne's suggestion, I
gave him some cucumber for his poor teeth and he LOVES it. Actually sucks
the juice out of it, he's also sucking water out of the washcloth in his
bath...so I am a bit concerned now that he's not technically "exclusively
breastfed", but also think that he might be ready for some solids.

I don't htink mine's exclusively BF any more either. He's been pulling grass
and clover out of the lawn and putting it in his mouth. Haven't seen any come
out the other end yet though.

Doan lies yet again..was.. Kane0 lies again Doan's phony offer to "debate" Kane Spanking 6 May 14th 04 02:10 AM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
Kids should work... Doan Spanking 33 December 10th 03 09:05 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane Spanking 2 December 6th 03 04:28 AM
Not offering solids yet?! Andrea Breastfeeding 8 December 5th 03 08:57 PM