The solids question again!

Old November 2nd 05, 05:47 PM
zolwica

Default The solids question again!

Thanks! I second Sue's opinion.

People are going too much by the book! Children are not cars with
manuals. Every kid is going t be different and react differently. Be
careful in the kind of foods you introduce (just for allergies) & slowly
increase the variety of foods your child gets.

Sina started solids at age 4 months. Is healthy as a horse, no
allergies, not obese & no problems. She wanted the food, I gave her
food. She was eating table food by 8 months or so. She was not accepting
babyfood maybe 2 days after I introduced regular food.

On the other hand, my friend's son had no interest in solids what so
ever. Today at almost 18 months, my Sina (3 months younger) handles food
much better than him. He still chokes a bit on bigger foods. Nothing
wrong with him. Healthy boy, no allergies or obesity either.

Good luck

Mona
Sue wrote:
I think you are over-thinking this and if a child wants solids and is ready,
you should give him something. Nothing magical happens at six months. It is
just a guideline. Personally, I would go by the baby and not the date on the
calendar.

Old November 2nd 05, 06:19 PM
Anne Rogers

Sidheag, it was you wasn't it that said on uk.p.p that someone, you thought
Akuvikate had come up with the references and determined that there was not
a great deal of difference, just that 6 was better than 4? but not all that
much. So ultimately my feeling is don't offer solids before 6 months, but if
they are demanding solids then go with it, but within reasonable limits,
i.e. after 4 months. I think I'd be giving CY's DS food if he was mine, I'd
rather give carrot puree than let him eat pita bread, or paper, or.....

Anne

Old November 2nd 05, 07:47 PM
Iuil

My DS is 5 days older than yours. He's been on solids for two weeks, ever
since he leaned over and gummed a chunk of a banana I was eating! He
quickly copped on that bowls/plates and spoons meant food and started having
tantrums at mealtimes because everyone else was eating and he wasn't!! He's
lost the tongue thrust so thoroughly that I can spoonfeed him without using
a bib.

Sounds to me like your DS is ready too.

Jean

--
DD - June '02
DS - May '05

Old November 2nd 05, 10:35 PM
CY

lol - yeah, pita bread wasn't my first choice and he didn't actually "eat"
any of it, just sucked it. Once it got soggy enough that any of it would
break off, I took it away...I think he seems pretty open to new tastes
though - didn't grimace at all. DD didn't eat any solids until around 8
mths...

Old November 3rd 05, 08:36 PM
Sarah Vaughan

In message GzX9f.532387$xm3.258238@attbi_s21, CY
writes
I calculated his age in weeks and it looks like he is 23 weeks. How do
they figure the "6 month" thing? Is it 24 weeks or 6 months (eg his
birthday was May 26, so he won't technically be 6 months until Nov
26th, but will be 24 weeks next week).

The WHO recommendations do actually give it as 6 months practically to
the day. However, if you read them, they're surprisingly flimsy - there
are _no_ studies showing an advantage of waiting until 6 months as
opposed to 4 months. Of course, there are physiological reasons why 6
months is likely to be better (more digestive enzymes, better head
control, no tongue thrust reflex) but I really don't think a week or two
in a baby who's already enjoying trying out solids is going to make a
scrap of difference.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.blogspot.com

But how do we _know_ that nobody ever said on their deathbed that they wished
they’d spent more time at the office?
Old November 3rd 05, 11:24 PM
Child

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message
In message GzX9f.532387$xm3.258238@attbi_s21, CY writes
I calculated his age in weeks and it looks like he is 23 weeks. How do
they figure the "6 month" thing? Is it 24 weeks or 6 months (eg his
birthday was May 26, so he won't technically be 6 months until Nov 26th,
but will be 24 weeks next week).

The WHO recommendations do actually give it as 6 months practically to the
day. However, if you read them, they're surprisingly flimsy - there are
_no_ studies showing an advantage of waiting until 6 months as opposed to
4 months. Of course, there are physiological reasons why 6 months is
likely to be better (more digestive enzymes, better head control, no
tongue thrust reflex) but I really don't think a week or two in a baby
who's already enjoying trying out solids is going to make a scrap of
difference.

Yesterday as I was reading I was thinking this very thought. Its very
flimsy.

But how do we _know_ that nobody ever said on their deathbed that they
wished
they'd spent more time at the office?

Every time I read this sig, I laugh, and am reminded of my father who whined
to me when he was 65 that he should have spent more time with me when I was
a kid instead of working. I agree with him, although compared to my friends
dads who spent the weekends working on the lawn and watching football, he
was a total peach.

Doan lies yet again..was.. Kane0 lies again Doan's phony offer to "debate" Kane Spanking 6 May 14th 04 02:10 AM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
Kids should work... Doan Spanking 33 December 10th 03 09:05 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane Spanking 2 December 6th 03 04:28 AM
Not offering solids yet?! Andrea Breastfeeding 8 December 5th 03 08:57 PM